Can't get remote access to work

Justin

I can't get this remote access to work!! Initially I tried just typing in the
ip of my office computer (XP SP2) at home where I have XP Pro with SP 1, then
since we are on a network I tried typing the ip of the router, but still no
luck. Do I need to set up some type of forwarding between the router and the
office computer? obviously I don't understand this issue could someone please
give me steps 1-10 on how to get remote access to work when your office
computeris on a network? The issue is not the Adminsitrator as we only have 3
computers in our office and I have full access. Thanks!!

Justin

Your talking about accessing your office XP Pro PC using Remote Desktop, correct? If so, look at
this page for help with that...

Otherwise, post back and be a bit more specific about what you want to do...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't get this remote access to work!! Initially I tried just typing in the
> ip of my office computer (XP SP2) at home where I have XP Pro with SP 1, then
> since we are on a network I tried typing the ip of the router, but still no
> luck. Do I need to set up some type of forwarding between the router and the
> office computer? obviously I don't understand this issue could someone please
> give me steps 1-10 on how to get remote access to work when your office
> computeris on a network? The issue is not the Adminsitrator as we only have 3
> computers in our office and I have full access. Thanks!!
>

> Justin

Justin

Thank you for that piece, but still no luck. A few grey areas so I am not
sure where the problem is coming from so I begun exploring the VNC
application, but I would rather this to work.

1) I have gone into my Linksys router and set up port forwarding and this
appears correct the only place I am unclear about is where it says put in
"application" under the forwarding tab. On the Linksys website it has
"camera" in their application so I wrote "computer" in my attempt (the
portforwarding directions simply say "type in the application" and in calling
Linksys their technician said "it did not matter"

2) When I go to "run" and then type "ipconfig" there is no listng for "name
server" which the port forwarding website says you will need, although it is
not clear to me when one would use this info" I have sent an email to my ISP
trying to find this out.

3) In trying to make my ISP static I have followed the directions at
portforward.com but I can't figure out how to set up a primary address that
is "out of the range".

4) Finally I have gone to the Firewall "exceptions" tab and was going to
attempt to add port 3389 but was clear on the number of the port but not the
name. Am I right in guessing it is "TCP".

Ok thanks in advance for any help you can provide as this is much more
difficult than I imagined, yet I know a number of folks who use this feature.
I learned a great deal from the link you left befoe so thank you for that.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Your talking about accessing your office XP Pro PC using Remote Desktop, correct? If so, look at
> this page for help with that...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> Otherwise, post back and be a bit more specific about what you want to do...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't get this remote access to work!! Initially I tried just typing in the
> > ip of my office computer (XP SP2) at home where I have XP Pro with SP 1, then
> > since we are on a network I tried typing the ip of the router, but still no
> > luck. Do I need to set up some type of forwarding between the router and the
> > office computer? obviously I don't understand this issue could someone please
> > give me steps 1-10 on how to get remote access to work when your office
> > computeris on a network? The issue is not the Adminsitrator as we only have 3
> > computers in our office and I have full access. Thanks!!
> >

> > Justin

Justin

Thanks for your response. I looked closely at the link you left and gained
more understanding of the issue but still have not been able to connect. Here
is where I have run into some roadblocks:

1) In going to "run" and typing "ipconfig" I was able to get the gateway,
subnet and default addresses but not the "name server" although I didn't see
where I needed the info I have contacted my isp in search of it.

2) In attempting to set a static ip address and switching from "obtain an ip
addess automatically" to "use the following ip address" I was directed to
pick an ip address out of the range this isn't clear to me even after I read
about it. So i just put in my regular isp, is this a central issue?

3) I attempted to deal with the firewall exceptions and add a port but I
while I knew the port number was 3389 I didn't know the name of the port. Is
it TCP?

4) Finally I went to the router as portforward.com directed and on the
forwarding page the info told me to fill in the "application" this wasn't
clear to me and when I looked at the Linksys web page in their example they
chose "camera" so I just typed in 'computer" on my page. When I still
couldn't connect I called the router company who said that "application"
section didn't matter so I left this alone.

Will addiing a port to my list of exemptions and figuring out how to select
an ip address "outside
the range" make the difference? Thanks in advance for your help I really
want to make this work.

Justin

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Your talking about accessing your office XP Pro PC using Remote Desktop, correct? If so, look at
> this page for help with that...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> Otherwise, post back and be a bit more specific about what you want to do...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't get this remote access to work!! Initially I tried just typing in the
> > ip of my office computer (XP SP2) at home where I have XP Pro with SP 1, then
> > since we are on a network I tried typing the ip of the router, but still no
> > luck. Do I need to set up some type of forwarding between the router and the
> > office computer? obviously I don't understand this issue could someone please
> > give me steps 1-10 on how to get remote access to work when your office
> > computeris on a network? The issue is not the Adminsitrator as we only have 3
> > computers in our office and I have full access. Thanks!!
> >

> > Justin

Justin

No need to reply to the last post I resent it after not seeing my previous
comment post nor your response. So my question is does it sound to you as if
I just put .10 as the last two digits of my isp when I make it static this
will do it, because I already had the DNS info. Is there any other area I
should be exploring?

"Justin" wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I looked closely at the link you left and gained
> more understanding of the issue but still have not been able to connect. Here
> is where I have run into some roadblocks:
>
> 1) In going to "run" and typing "ipconfig" I was able to get the gateway,
> subnet and default addresses but not the "name server" although I didn't see
> where I needed the info I have contacted my isp in search of it.
>
> 2) In attempting to set a static ip address and switching from "obtain an ip
> addess automatically" to "use the following ip address" I was directed to
> pick an ip address out of the range this isn't clear to me even after I read
> about it. So i just put in my regular isp, is this a central issue?
>
> 3) I attempted to deal with the firewall exceptions and add a port but I
> while I knew the port number was 3389 I didn't know the name of the port. Is
> it TCP?
>
> 4) Finally I went to the router as portforward.com directed and on the
> forwarding page the info told me to fill in the "application" this wasn't
> clear to me and when I looked at the Linksys web page in their example they
> chose "camera" so I just typed in 'computer" on my page. When I still
> couldn't connect I called the router company who said that "application"
> section didn't matter so I left this alone.
>
> Will addiing a port to my list of exemptions and figuring out how to select
> an ip address "outside
> the range" make the difference? Thanks in advance for your help I really
> want to make this work.
>
> Justin
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Your talking about accessing your office XP Pro PC using Remote Desktop, correct? If so, look at
> > this page for help with that...
> >
> > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
> >
> > Otherwise, post back and be a bit more specific about what you want to do...
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >
> > "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I can't get this remote access to work!! Initially I tried just typing in the
> > > ip of my office computer (XP SP2) at home where I have XP Pro with SP 1, then
> > > since we are on a network I tried typing the ip of the router, but still no
> > > luck. Do I need to set up some type of forwarding between the router and the
> > > office computer? obviously I don't understand this issue could someone please
> > > give me steps 1-10 on how to get remote access to work when your office
> > > computeris on a network? The issue is not the Adminsitrator as we only have 3
> > > computers in our office and I have full access. Thanks!!
> > >

> > > Justin

Item 1 - Correct. The name is simply something that relates to the port used. In my case I used
"RDP" in my Linksys example and "RemoteDesktop" with the Buffalo example...

Item 2 - Use the "ipconfig /all" command or go into your Linksys routers "Status" page to get the
DNS information... You can also check your ISPs support web pages for the correct DNS server
information.

Item 3 - Generally Linksys routers start handing out DHCP assigned IP addresses starting at .100 and
going up. I use addresses on my LAN starting at .10 through .20 for example...

Item 4 - Yes its TCP Port 3389. Note there should be an entry in the "Exceptions Tab" for "Remote
Desktop" already. You should just have to check the checkbox... This presumes your using the Windows
Firewall on the PC your trying to connect to...

--

> Thank you for that piece, but still no luck. A few grey areas so I am not
> sure where the problem is coming from so I begun exploring the VNC
> application, but I would rather this to work.
>
> 1) I have gone into my Linksys router and set up port forwarding and this
> appears correct the only place I am unclear about is where it says put in
> "application" under the forwarding tab. On the Linksys website it has
> "camera" in their application so I wrote "computer" in my attempt (the
> portforwarding directions simply say "type in the application" and in calling
> Linksys their technician said "it did not matter"
>
> 2) When I go to "run" and then type "ipconfig" there is no listng for "name
> server" which the port forwarding website says you will need, although it is
> not clear to me when one would use this info" I have sent an email to my ISP
> trying to find this out.
>
> 3) In trying to make my ISP static I have followed the directions at
> portforward.com but I can't figure out how to set up a primary address that
> is "out of the range".
>
> 4) Finally I have gone to the Firewall "exceptions" tab and was going to
> attempt to add port 3389 but was clear on the number of the port but not the
> name. Am I right in guessing it is "TCP".
>
> Ok thanks in advance for any help you can provide as this is much more
> difficult than I imagined, yet I know a number of folks who use this feature.
> I learned a great deal from the link you left befoe so thank you for that.
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Your talking about accessing your office XP Pro PC using Remote Desktop, correct? If so, look at
>> this page for help with that...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>
>> Otherwise, post back and be a bit more specific about what you want to do...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I can't get this remote access to work!! Initially I tried just typing in the
>> > ip of my office computer (XP SP2) at home where I have XP Pro with SP 1, then
>> > since we are on a network I tried typing the ip of the router, but still no
>> > luck. Do I need to set up some type of forwarding between the router and the
>> > office computer? obviously I don't understand this issue could someone please
>> > give me steps 1-10 on how to get remote access to work when your office
>> > computeris on a network? The issue is not the Adminsitrator as we only have 3
>> > computers in our office and I have full access. Thanks!!
>> >

>> > Justin

Justin

Ok so even ignore the one previous to this because at long last I'm in! Thanks

All replies have been ignored...:)

Glad its working for you...