Capture Quality in Premiere

Hello everyone. I got an urgent question, because we're working on a
project and we're late. So, every help will be greatly appreciated!

It's a very, very strange problem. I got a Sharp VL-Z800 DV Cam. I use
Adobe Premiere 7 at home and at work. At home, I got a 2,5 Ghz P4 1Gb
RAM with Windows XP Home Edition 2nd service pack. At work, we work on
hp compaq 2,5 Ghz with 512 Mb RAM and Windows XP Professional SP 2.
Here's the problem:
When I capture video at home, quality is excellent. No problem, and I
configured nothing special. When I capture video at work, with the same
parameters, the quality is bad! There's no "special things" like bars,
black holes, frame lost or anything! It's just that the recorder file
looks awful in full screen with tons of pixels. And at home, with the
same application, the same video camera, the same FireWard card,
everything is ok! Has someone got an explanation? (I was thinking about
a DV codecs problems but it's seems not logic because Premiere has got
his own codecs or not?) It's critical! Thanks to everyone who can help!

Christophe Schuwey

Christophe Schuwey wrote:

> Hello everyone. I got an urgent question, because we're working on a
> project and we're late. So, every help will be greatly appreciated!
>
> It's a very, very strange problem. I got a Sharp VL-Z800 DV Cam. I use
> Adobe Premiere 7 at home and at work. At home, I got a 2,5 Ghz P4 1Gb
> RAM with Windows XP Home Edition 2nd service pack. At work, we work on
> hp compaq 2,5 Ghz with 512 Mb RAM and Windows XP Professional SP 2.
> Here's the problem:
> When I capture video at home, quality is excellent. No problem, and I
> configured nothing special. When I capture video at work, with the same
> parameters, the quality is bad! There's no "special things" like bars,
> black holes, frame lost or anything! It's just that the recorder file
> looks awful in full screen with tons of pixels. And at home, with the
> same application, the same video camera, the same FireWard card,
> everything is ok! Has someone got an explanation? (I was thinking about
> a DV codecs problems but it's seems not logic because Premiere has got
> his own codecs or not?) It's critical! Thanks to everyone who can help!
>
> Christophe Schuwey

When you say, "the quality is bad".. is this while watching it on a NTSC
monitor?

What you see on the screen is not always the actually quality of the video.

If you don't have a NTSC monitor connected, do a quick test and see.

use the Adobe export to DVD feature, and burn a quick DVD. Take that to
a DVD player with a NTSC monitor and see how it looks.

-Richard

what is the display quality setting on the work computer?

nap wrote:
> what is the display quality setting on the work computer?

Do you mean resolution and so? If yes, then it's 1024x768 with 32 bits
of colours. No special parameters.
If you mean in a special application, then I think it's not the probleme
because watching the recorded video with Windows Media Player in full
screen is not better (very pixelised). And there's something more strange:
When I open the video in WMP, it doesn't open it in 720x576, but in a
smaller window... But the specs of the video are 720x576. The quality in
WMP is absolutly not the same at home or at work.

Thanks
Christophe Schuwey

> nap wrote:
>> what is the display quality setting on the work computer?
>
> Do you mean resolution and so? If yes, then it's 1024x768 with 32 bits of
> colours. No special parameters.
> If you mean in a special application, then I think it's not the probleme
> because watching the recorded video with Windows Media Player in full
> screen is not better (very pixelised). And there's something more strange:
> When I open the video in WMP, it doesn't open it in 720x576, but in a
> smaller window... But the specs of the video are 720x576. The quality in
> WMP is absolutly not the same at home or at work.
>
> Thanks
> Christophe Schuwey

Not sure how to help you C. it seems there certainly is a discrepancy
between the two computers. I was asking about the display quality in
Premiere.
post when you find it.

>> "Christophe Schuwey" <jupiter41@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello everyone. I got an urgent question, because we're working on a
>>>project and we're late. So, every help will be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>>It's a very, very strange problem. I got a Sharp VL-Z800 DV Cam. I use
>>>Adobe Premiere 7 at home and at work. At home, I got a 2,5 Ghz P4 1Gb RAM
>>>with Windows XP Home Edition 2nd service pack. At work, we work on hp
>>>compaq 2,5 Ghz with 512 Mb RAM and Windows XP Professional SP 2. Here's
>>>the problem:
>>>When I capture video at home, quality is excellent. No problem, and I
>>>configured nothing special. When I capture video at work, with the same
>>>parameters, the quality is bad! There's no "special things" like bars,
>>>black holes, frame lost or anything! It's just that the recorder file
>>>looks awful in full screen with tons of pixels. And at home, with the
>>>same application, the same video camera, the same FireWard card,
>>>everything is ok! Has someone got an explanation? (I was thinking about a
>>>DV codecs problems but it's seems not logic because Premiere has got his
>>>own codecs or not?) It's critical! Thanks to everyone who can help!
>>>
>>>Christophe Schuwey

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:41:38 +0100, Christophe Schuwey
<jupiter41@gmail.com> wrote:
>Adobe Premiere 7

That is actually Premiere Pro... and if you didn't know this, Adobe
provides a special forum for Pro users... you may find an answer
there by reading past questions, or register and ask a question

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf

Premiere 7 was an EARLY "working" name, and the released product
was changed to Premiere Pro 1.0 and is now at version 1.5

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith