Security problem?? just set up RCD

bill

Hello there.

I am really new to this RDC thing and think I got it set up.
Using xp pro on both machines.
Norton internet security 2005.
SP2 installed but firewall disabled (see above)
Linksys router with port 3389 forwarded to the home computer.
I am able to type in my static (cable) IP address and it brings up the home
desktop. (great)

Is this home computer now exposed to the internet for anybody to hack into??

What about VPN? I know very litttle about it.

Please put my mind at ease.

As long as you use a *STRONG* password and limit Remote Desktop access to your own account I believe
you have little to worry about. With that said, it is possible (although I believe unlikely) that
someone could mount a man-in-the-middle attack and gain entry to your PC. Running Remote Desktop
through a VPN or SSH tunnel would add another layer of security. Some folks also choose to change
the default RDP listening port from the default TCP Port 3389 to something else, ie.
security-through-obscurity so to speak. Lastly you could always disable TCP Port 3389 through your
Linksys router when your not expecting to need to use Remote Desktop access to the PC from a remote
site...

It all gets down to your level of acceptable risk....

Personally I use a *STRONG* password and limit Remote Desktop access to my XP Pro desktop to own
personal account only. In my case I normally run as a *Limited User* on my XP Pro desktop...

I do recommend the following Group Policies however...

1. Configure your XP Pro desktop to always prompt for a password to log onto Remote Desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_raqe.asp

2. Set the encryption level to "High" versus the default.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_quaq.asp

The Group Policy editor...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_uvnl.asp

--