RDP to Internal Ip with ICS Port Forwarding

February 6, 2005 4:59:02 AM

Hi there

I have the following set up:
Box A - Windows XP Pro, Cable connection to the internet with static IP and
software firewall, ICS enabled (my box)
Box B - Windows XP Pro, Networked to Box A with internal 192.168.x.x IP
address. (friends box)

I would like to have remote access to my machine, and likewise my friend
would like to have remote access to his machine.

I set up a port forwarding from 3390 to 3389 on the internal IP address and
use statis_ip:3390 in the RD client to connect, but this does not work. I am
getting an error message that the connection cannot be made, computer may be
too busy to accept connections.

I allowed a rule in my firewall (Norton Internet Secruity professional) to
allow traffic incoming and outgoing on por 3390, but still no joy. I even
changed the listening RDP port on Box B to 3390 and changed the port forward
on Box A to 3390>3390 but I am still getting the same error.

Can anyone suggest what else I can try?

Thanks in advance,
Adam
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:20:59 AM

Look at this page for help with this issue...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Mul...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I have the following set up:
> Box A - Windows XP Pro, Cable connection to the internet with static IP and
> software firewall, ICS enabled (my box)
> Box B - Windows XP Pro, Networked to Box A with internal 192.168.x.x IP
> address. (friends box)
>
> I would like to have remote access to my machine, and likewise my friend
> would like to have remote access to his machine.
>
> I set up a port forwarding from 3390 to 3389 on the internal IP address and
> use statis_ip:3390 in the RD client to connect, but this does not work. I am
> getting an error message that the connection cannot be made, computer may be
> too busy to accept connections.
>
> I allowed a rule in my firewall (Norton Internet Secruity professional) to
> allow traffic incoming and outgoing on por 3390, but still no joy. I even
> changed the listening RDP port on Box B to 3390 and changed the port forward
> on Box A to 3390>3390 but I am still getting the same error.
>
> Can anyone suggest what else I can try?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Adam
February 6, 2005 7:21:00 AM

This article makes reference fo ICF. Do I need the windows firewall enabled
to get this to work? I only have ICS enabled to share the connection, I am
not using the Windows Firewall.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Look at this page for help with this issue...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Mul...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there
> >
> > I have the following set up:
> > Box A - Windows XP Pro, Cable connection to the internet with static IP and
> > software firewall, ICS enabled (my box)
> > Box B - Windows XP Pro, Networked to Box A with internal 192.168.x.x IP
> > address. (friends box)
> >
> > I would like to have remote access to my machine, and likewise my friend
> > would like to have remote access to his machine.
> >
> > I set up a port forwarding from 3390 to 3389 on the internal IP address and
> > use statis_ip:3390 in the RD client to connect, but this does not work. I am
> > getting an error message that the connection cannot be made, computer may be
> > too busy to accept connections.
> >
> > I allowed a rule in my firewall (Norton Internet Secruity professional) to
> > allow traffic incoming and outgoing on por 3390, but still no joy. I even
> > changed the listening RDP port on Box B to 3390 and changed the port forward
> > on Box A to 3390>3390 but I am still getting the same error.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what else I can try?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Adam

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:56:52 AM

You need to modify your NIS Pro settings based on the settings I illustrated on that page. Check
with their support web pages for instructions on how to do that... I don't personally use NIS...

Any chance you could budget the purchase of a broadband router for your network. It makes it a lot
easier to setup, plus you have the added benefit of not having to have your PC powered on just so
your friend can access the internet. Also a broadband router's NAT firewall functionality adds
another level of security to your internet connection...

--

!