Good/bad VHS-DVD-Recorder combos?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Looking for something to convert a bunch of older tapes which I could
then edit possibly by ripping/transferring to PC in my Pioneer DVD+/-RW
drive. Seems like support for DVD-R and DVD-RW is prevalent, these
would probably be fine.

Any particularly good or bad VHS-DVD recorder combos? I don't need
hard drive option.

Thanks,

Gary

On 26 Feb 2005 11:40:23 -0800, "Gary" <midicad2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Looking for something to convert a bunch of older tapes which I could
>then edit possibly by ripping/transferring to PC in my Pioneer DVD+/-RW
>drive. Seems like support for DVD-R and DVD-RW is prevalent, these
>would probably be fine.
>
>Any particularly good or bad VHS-DVD recorder combos? I don't need
>hard drive option.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary
best thing to do is go to a review site, such as Amazon.com.
Search on the category, and select the items. Read the reviews
from the buyers. One thing you'll find is that almost all of the
lowend units are absolutey poor quality. I suppose you get
what you pay for.
Dave

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

da_test wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2005 11:40:23 -0800, "Gary" <midicad2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> best thing to do is go to a review site, such as Amazon.com.
> Search on the category, and select the items. Read the reviews
> from the buyers. One thing you'll find is that almost all of the
> lowend units are absolutey poor quality. I suppose you get
> what you pay for.
> Dave

I did do that, it's hard to directly compare things, however I did note
that one of Consumer Report's quick picks was judged as highly
unreliable by a number of folks. So I'm just trying to get as many
opinions as possible, especially what to avoid.

I'm leaning towards getting the Sony standalone/USB recorder (can use
DL DVD+R and also records to DVD+RW, supports DVD+/-RW in USB mode,
etc.) along with a used VHS-Hifi machine e.g. from eBay.