wifi card or new device

May 29, 2004 11:06:56 PM

oops sorry folks accidentaly posted before my thought was complete. anyhow, wondering if its better to go for anew device w/ wifi or stick w/ the jornada & a wifi card. i use my storage card because of the limited space so how would i utilize a wifi card $ cf? is there a way to do this?

Geek

-------------------------------
Posted by PPCNewz

More about : wifi card device

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 1:07:33 AM

Well, Sandisk does make a combo WiFi/Memory card that would work, though I'm
not prepared to recommend a Sandisk anything. If you have a 560 series
Jornada, you might still be able to hunt up an MMC battery, which would give
you an MMC slot for memory and leave the CF slot open. There is also the
PCCard sleeve, which also has an MMC slot, and the advantage of the bigger
battery, which comes in handy if you are going to run WiFi. Incidentally
that sleeve will take a CF card in an adapter or a regular PC card WiFi,
assuming drivers are available. These things do make your svelte Jornada a
bit chubbier though.

In all honesty, It's time to upgrade. Take a look at the 2215. If you have
some investment in CF peripherals for your Jornada, they'll still work, and
you just need to invest in some SD cards for memory, if you want to get away
from swapping the memory out for WiFi.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Geek" <Geek@geek.com> wrote in message
news:o $s5JreREHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> oops sorry folks accidentaly posted before my thought was complete.
anyhow, wondering if its better to go for anew device w/ wifi or stick w/
the jornada & a wifi card. i use my storage card because of the limited
space so how would i utilize a wifi card $ cf? is there a way to do this?

> Geek
>
> -------------------------------
> Posted by PPCNewz

May 30, 2004 3:30:18 AM

Thanks Sven. I appreciate the honesty. I am feeling like it is time to
upgrade as well. It is just getting too difficult and frustrating to work
with the Jornada. It is nice for starters and I can't complain it has served
my needs, but it would be very nice to have a Axim X30. I definitely want
someting that would be compatible with BlueTooth as well so that I can
connect when I am away from hotspots.

I agree the 2215 is nice as well. I was thinking though of going big and
then I won't have to mess around for a long time with wondering if I should
have gotten that thing or this thing...etc..
"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, Sandisk does make a combo WiFi/Memory card that would work, though
I'm
> not prepared to recommend a Sandisk anything. If you have a 560 series
> Jornada, you might still be able to hunt up an MMC battery, which would
give
> you an MMC slot for memory and leave the CF slot open. There is also the
> PCCard sleeve, which also has an MMC slot, and the advantage of the bigger
> battery, which comes in handy if you are going to run WiFi. Incidentally
> that sleeve will take a CF card in an adapter or a regular PC card WiFi,
> assuming drivers are available. These things do make your svelte Jornada a
> bit chubbier though.
>
> In all honesty, It's time to upgrade. Take a look at the 2215. If you have
> some investment in CF peripherals for your Jornada, they'll still work,
and
> you just need to invest in some SD cards for memory, if you want to get
away
> from swapping the memory out for WiFi.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Geek" <Geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> news:o $s5JreREHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > oops sorry folks accidentaly posted before my thought was complete.
> anyhow, wondering if its better to go for anew device w/ wifi or stick w/
> the jornada & a wifi card. i use my storage card because of the limited
> space so how would i utilize a wifi card $ cf? is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Geek
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > Posted by PPCNewz

May 30, 2004 2:59:08 PM

I also have mixed feelings regarding Sandisk, but my experience with the
SD/MMC battery of the Jornada was more than terrible. That was a nightmare,
every read operation of files greater than 300KB had a 50% failure chance. I
wouldn't recommend that solution.

If you are in a situation where you can exchange cards for getting WiFi,
stay with the Jornada. If not, it is time to move to a device which has
internal Wifi support.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

> Well, Sandisk does make a combo WiFi/Memory card that would work, though
I'm
> not prepared to recommend a Sandisk anything. If you have a 560 series
> Jornada, you might still be able to hunt up an MMC battery, which would
give
> you an MMC slot for memory and leave the CF slot open. There is also the
> PCCard sleeve, which also has an MMC slot, and the advantage of the bigger
> battery, which comes in handy if you are going to run WiFi. Incidentally
> that sleeve will take a CF card in an adapter or a regular PC card WiFi,
> assuming drivers are available. These things do make your svelte Jornada a
> bit chubbier though.
>
> In all honesty, It's time to upgrade. Take a look at the 2215. If you have
> some investment in CF peripherals for your Jornada, they'll still work,
and
> you just need to invest in some SD cards for memory, if you want to get
away
> from swapping the memory out for WiFi.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Geek" <Geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> news:o $s5JreREHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > oops sorry folks accidentaly posted before my thought was complete.
> anyhow, wondering if its better to go for anew device w/ wifi or stick w/
> the jornada & a wifi card. i use my storage card because of the limited
> space so how would i utilize a wifi card $ cf? is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Geek
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > Posted by PPCNewz

May 30, 2004 4:16:52 PM

Thanks Helio,

It is insteresting what you are also saying Sandisk, my cf card is Sandisk
and I have had no problems with it for now almost two years. I must be
lucky. I like your advice as well. I think from what you are saying that it
is time to move on. I would love to hold on to the Jornada, but the reality
is that I can't swap out because I rely heavily on the CF for storage.
Thanks again for the advice it was helpful.

"Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com>
wrote in message news:erGzBvhREHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I also have mixed feelings regarding Sandisk, but my experience with the
> SD/MMC battery of the Jornada was more than terrible. That was a
nightmare,
> every read operation of files greater than 300KB had a 50% failure chance.
> wouldn't recommend that solution.
>
> If you are in a situation where you can exchange cards for getting WiFi,
> stay with the Jornada. If not, it is time to move to a device which has
> internal Wifi support.
>
> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well, Sandisk does make a combo WiFi/Memory card that would work, though
> I'm
> > not prepared to recommend a Sandisk anything. If you have a 560 series
> > Jornada, you might still be able to hunt up an MMC battery, which would
> give
> > you an MMC slot for memory and leave the CF slot open. There is also
the
> > PCCard sleeve, which also has an MMC slot, and the advantage of the
bigger
> > battery, which comes in handy if you are going to run WiFi. Incidentally
> > that sleeve will take a CF card in an adapter or a regular PC card WiFi,
> > assuming drivers are available. These things do make your svelte Jornada
> > bit chubbier though.
> >
> > In all honesty, It's time to upgrade. Take a look at the 2215. If you
have
> > some investment in CF peripherals for your Jornada, they'll still work,
> and
> > you just need to invest in some SD cards for memory, if you want to get
> away
> > from swapping the memory out for WiFi.
> >
> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "Geek" <Geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> > news:o $s5JreREHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > oops sorry folks accidentaly posted before my thought was complete.
> > anyhow, wondering if its better to go for anew device w/ wifi or stick
w/
> > the jornada & a wifi card. i use my storage card because of the limited
> > space so how would i utilize a wifi card $ cf? is there a way to do
this?

> > > Geek
> > >
> > > -------------------------------
> > > Posted by PPCNewz

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 2:42:05 PM

I'll have to echo some of Helio's comments. I had no problems with SD/MMC
cards up to 128M in any of my Jornada setups. I had two and the PCcard and
two SD/MMC batteries. Any combination of peripheral and PPC worked fine, up
to 128M. Beyond that I had constant problems regardless of card
manufacturer. That was adequate at the time though. If you can still find
the MMC battery, it might hold you for a few months till some of the new
things are out. Might be worth a short term investment.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

May 31, 2004 3:05:18 PM

Thanks it is food for thought.