Your question
Closed

Blizzard Makes Even More Changes to Diablo 3

Last response: in News comments
January 28, 2012 9:18:45 AM

RELEASE IT ALREADY
Score
January 28, 2012 9:45:22 AM

This so much seems to be turning into "design by committee". Something that kills pretty every product unfortunate enough to be in that situation.
Besides, D3 is destined to disappoint. Its had so much hype and players of D2 simply won't be wowed enough to stop the inevitable criticism.
Score
Related resources
January 28, 2012 9:47:19 AM

^^ It doesn't matter if it disappoints everyone. Everyone is still going to play Diablo III.

Wohoooo!
Score
January 28, 2012 9:57:36 AM

Release date: 2020
Score
January 28, 2012 10:07:49 AM

Shape^^ It doesn't matter if it disappoints everyone. Everyone is still going to play Diablo III.Wohoooo!

I'm not, and neither are the millions of other gamers who despise that god awful 3rd person isometric view that was already old and tired when D2 was in its prime.
Score
January 28, 2012 10:16:21 AM

At this point doesn't it seem like the game is being 'over produced'. These guys are so worried about putting out the perfect game I wouldn't be shocked if they make so many changes that they just screw everything up.
Score
January 28, 2012 10:18:49 AM

zybchI'm not, and neither are the millions of other gamers who despise that god awful 3rd person isometric view that was already old and tired when D2 was in its prime.

Ok
Score
January 28, 2012 10:31:41 AM

Will > Wont

The game will sell and people will enjoy it.

Even if its just mediocre upgraded diablo 2, A goodish game... Lots of content/updates/and top down camera without a monthly fee.... It would be hard to not get your pennys worth, over a period of a year.

Even just playing the game on and off.
Score
Anonymous
January 28, 2012 10:33:35 AM

Waiting for GW2 instead.
Score
January 28, 2012 11:00:38 AM

This is what we call in the engineering world "nuking it out"........

Ur thinking too much... just let it out.........
Score
Anonymous
January 28, 2012 11:16:10 AM

crit rating? So original...NOT. so boring.
Score
January 28, 2012 11:42:46 AM

Starcraft II came, Diablo III is coming, and we are expecting Warcraft IV.... :D 
Score
January 28, 2012 11:58:42 AM

I'd rather wait impatiently than have them release another Duke Nukem Forever flop.

Maybe the marketing guys said, "hey we missed a Christmas release, can we fix something and release it next Christmas?"
Score
January 28, 2012 12:10:26 PM

Hopefully the next change will be an option to play the game offline. I don't care about having a character I can use to play against other people otherwise I'd buy WOW. I just want to play a game for a while and turn it off.

I also like to use cheats and hacks. To me that is what makes a games fun. Having a suped up character that can womp the enemies (without having to play a game for 50+ hours or in linear games only reach that point near the end). Some games I like to beat once then replay with cheats and hacks on. Others I get bored with and turn on the cheats and hacks.

I can understand why in MMO's they don't want cheats/hacks. But in games with single player options I don't see a reason not to allow it. It's your copy you should be able to do whatever you want.
Score
January 28, 2012 12:35:33 PM

I prefer Isometric view over the retched WoW-like first person view. Iso or bust.

Screw the people who don't like it. 99 percent of them live with their mom. FACT.
Score
January 28, 2012 12:54:30 PM

So tired of waiting for this shit. Heard and read news about it since 2009. Blizzard's market strategy of prolonging releases are a big turn-off. I bet Starcraft II exp is also going to be delayed over and over. For people who do not mind playing offline RPGs just get Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma.
Score
January 28, 2012 12:59:45 PM

Please provide a link to the FACT that 99 % of these people live with their mom.
Score
January 28, 2012 1:04:58 PM

Pet? While nice to not have to click EVERYTHING to pick it up, find some other way.

As for the other scroll, I kinda like that idea. I say kinda because D2 gave you the ability to use gems and the cube to "re-roll" an item and you didn't lose anything other then the gems. Not sure why giving up durability is a better idea unless they removed the re-roll option from the cube recipes.
Score
January 28, 2012 1:09:58 PM

A shame to hear about the pets. I would have loved to have a cute looking pet kill Diablo.
Just imagine the king of hell dominating the world only to be stopped by a care bear.
Score
January 28, 2012 1:18:03 PM

Toms, are you planning to report every incremental D2 change?
Is this a mirror of morhaimeshardware.com?
Score
Anonymous
January 28, 2012 2:39:20 PM

This is so awesome! So when is Diablo 3 coming out? 2016?
Score
January 28, 2012 2:53:47 PM

I couldn't get into Diablo I/II, not because of the viewing angle, but the consequences of that coupled with a really low resolution monitor. Too far away to see any graphical detail... The gameplay was ok I suppose. Due to a system crash, and poor backup habits, I lost my main push into Diablo II's campaign, so there was no way I could start over and have it feel fresh, so I abandoned it. It's obviously been a long time but if those were my main concerns, then I might enjoy Diablo III (albeit in small doses). Due to my tastes and preferences, I'm 99% sure that I won't be purchasing this title before or during the initial release. I'll be looking for a bargain in 2013.

It's interesting how they seem to be taking two steps forward in development, then one or two steps back, with the intention of taking three to four steps forward at a later date. Two steps forward to create something. One or two steps to take it out, and plan another three to four steps forward to A) put it back and B) make it better. I bet there's some suits somewhere who are really frustrated and don't understand what's going on. Some employees might also be frustrated trying to determine who really is in charge of the development (behind the scenes).

I hope it turns out to be a great game, but if doubt hits a critical level, presales and release sales will suffer, and pirating may also increase above normal levels for a time until the dust settles and everyone decides for themselves if its worth picking up. We may be reading in December of 2012 the top 5 pirated games of the year, and this one may be on the top of that list.
Score
Anonymous
January 28, 2012 3:51:56 PM

So the Mass effect trilogy will come out before D3?. I wish the WoW would just die.
Score
Anonymous
January 28, 2012 4:40:11 PM

"^^ It doesn't matter if it disappoints everyone. Everyone is still going to play Diablo III.Wohoooo!"

No thank you, there's still people with principles who will not support customer shaggery in the form of always online single player DRM, or megalomaniac companies like Activision.

And after what they did to Warcraft and Starcraft?? nah, blizzy and shove it up their collective rears.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:09:11 PM

The game will be out SOON.

As a reminder, Soon = Copyright 2004-2012 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
http://www.wowwiki.com/Soon

(just makes me smirk every time, no matter how much I read this definition already)
Score
January 28, 2012 5:12:11 PM

ramono12"^^ It doesn't matter if it disappoints everyone. Everyone is still going to play Diablo III.Wohoooo!"No thank you, there's still people with principles who will not support customer shaggery in the form of always online single player DRM, or megalomaniac companies like Activision. And after what they did to Warcraft and Starcraft?? nah, blizzy and shove it up their collective rears.

I am one of those other people who will REFUSE to buy any future products by Blizzard for those reasons you stated. The more changes Toms put up The more I hate d3.
Score
January 28, 2012 6:09:14 PM

"A chicken, pig or rat", really?? What gives? You couldn't think of animals that would fit? A bat i understand. But how about a wolf / dog, some sort of wildcat or even a bear..A freaking Thylacine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine) would be AWESOME and fit just fine...but a chicken??

And what's with the attribute names? If you're going to use the classic strength, agility, intelligence (that has been used to death) then use the classic names. If you're planning on changing the names, then revolutionize the effects!
Score
January 28, 2012 6:44:46 PM

i don't get it blizzard... make D2 again with better graphics and a different story. stop adding WOW crap to make it "better".
Score
January 28, 2012 6:56:58 PM

Actually it seems they are in serious "consolization" of D3 by the number of things cut from it. But I do think the scrolls will be back...on the Blizz pet store.

But yes, I am one of those who will no longer buy WoW products, as long as Kotick is in charge of Activision Blizzard. Blizzard has gone down a dark path, totally 180 what they were pre-merger. I don't blame the Blizzard people. The changes made seem quite clearly to be from the Kotick style of game development so my blame goes to him and to Vivendi for placing someone with his reputation in charge.

I can't help but think 6 months into D3, few players will be playing just to play the game, but imagine it will be more a wasteland of botters and farmers trying to turn a quick buck on the RMAH. Hopefully the South Korean decision over the RMAH will catch on to other parts of the world.
Score
January 28, 2012 8:07:09 PM

Reading between the lines, "We will add the companion scrolls in after game launch as a purchasable item from battle.net"
Score
January 28, 2012 8:09:08 PM

Maybe its me but the changes seem to be taking the game into a extremely casual realm. That's my biggest gripe with World of Warcraft its more a social simulation then a action game. All aspects of World of Warcraft have been dumbed down to the point where its pretty much impossible to fail. I have not played D3 beta but with core attributes being removed I have to wonder how simple stats are going to be. I know with Mist of Pandora bliz is taking away talent trees. At certain levels the person picks 1 of 3 different skills that do kinda the same thing in different ways. I really hope D3 is not following suit. The game is dumbed down for the mega causal facebook player I will be looking else where for entertainment. I am so tired of blizzard causal crap they keep releasing. I am just waiting for them to put a "I win button" into world of Warcraft so if your having trouble beating something it will auto kill it for you. What I remember of playing Diablo and Diablo 2 (its been many years since) both where challenging fun games that had good stories.
Score
January 28, 2012 10:52:16 PM

i probably wont get diablo 2 despite loveing diblo 1 and 2, just because my taste has changed.

i may have gotten it for playing every now and than, but i have titan quest for that, and i cant play diablo 3 offline and without being effected by that real cash crap.

my taste moved over to games closer to rouge, the game diablo is based on... i prefer the rougelikes, but not all of them... my favroite ones are everything you expect in a rouge like game, but without the need to eat, sleep, and carry limits (within reason)

look at dungeons of derdmor, it is a fine example of the style of game i like... there is also elona, i think that ones free... but it has issues outside of my preferences
Score
January 28, 2012 11:06:05 PM

ikensteinerPlease provide a link to the FACT that 99 % of these people live with their mom.

And while you're at it, provide pics of said moms.
Score
January 28, 2012 11:35:11 PM

The "I win button" was already implemented in early release of WoW but eventually toned down, It was the Rogue class stun lock. lol

But yes I do agree games seem to be getting dumbed down, Either to cater for the console market or the social type facebook crowd that spend more time on the in game chat than actually playing the game!
I just hope Hell or Hardcore mode isn't a pushover.
Score
January 28, 2012 11:48:45 PM

ive been waiting so damn long for this game, that ive given up. . . . .
Score
January 29, 2012 12:16:02 AM

"Attack, Defense and Precision have been removed, and Dexterity, Intellect, Strength, and Vitality have been added. Armor has taken the place of Defense, +Physical Resist has replaced the original Armor, and +Chance to Crit has replaced Precision."

They waited this long to figure out how the core mechanics of their "game" work? Pathetic.

Diablo 3 will be just like Starcraft 2. A quick-hit arcade version of a real game, instead of a more hardcore, immersive, original, creative, or epic title. Actiblizzion's lost it. Just focus on Continent of Small-scale Skirmishcraft and leave the big boy games to the adults, Blizzard.

You guys couldn't develop a game to save your own mothers. Preposterous.
Score
Anonymous
January 29, 2012 12:56:16 AM

It seems this game is in a downward spiral because of the darn consoles and everyone with a PC is going to be made to suffer because of that.
Score
January 29, 2012 2:05:41 AM

Up the player count to 5 (1 for each class) please. 4 is just pathetically low.
Score
January 29, 2012 2:16:48 AM

SteveLordUp the player count to 5 (1 for each class) please. 4 is just pathetically low.

Even having "classes" is pathetic. It's 2012, not 1979. Dragon Wars, Morrowind, and Titan Quest have been around for years now, and we should hope other game developers have learned from other games what aspects and methods deliver the best experiences!
Score
January 29, 2012 3:57:01 AM

wildkittenActually it seems they are in serious "consolization" of D3 by the number of things cut from it. But I do think the scrolls will be back...on the Blizz pet store.But yes, I am one of those who will no longer buy WoW products, as long as Kotick is in charge of Activision Blizzard. Blizzard has gone down a dark path, totally 180 what they were pre-merger. I don't blame the Blizzard people. The changes made seem quite clearly to be from the Kotick style of game development so my blame goes to him and to Vivendi for placing someone with his reputation in charge.I can't help but think 6 months into D3, few players will be playing just to play the game, but imagine it will be more a wasteland of botters and farmers trying to turn a quick buck on the RMAH. Hopefully the South Korean decision over the RMAH will catch on to other parts of the world.

Oh good, you're back to educate us more... Kitten, do tell us, what do you think of Blizzard?
Score
January 29, 2012 4:06:39 AM

Once they decided to make it an online-only money-laundering scheme, it didn't matter what else they did. Call it "World of Diablo" and sell it like that. Don't call it "Diablo 3", take away LAN plan, and pretend it's even in the same universe.

Back then, Blizzard stood for hard-core gaming experiences. Now, they cater to the lowest common denominator in their user base, code base, and please-the-masses mentality. Sure, it's a business and they need to make their money. But don't go pretending this game's going to outdo Titan Quest for a great gaming experience.

It's like they all switched to Macs, at Blizzard. Or worse.
Score
January 29, 2012 4:24:16 AM

Actually glad 'cutesy' pets removed. Who the hell thought cute was a good idea?
Score
January 29, 2012 5:34:19 AM

Don't release it, it'll just be pirated and all the work those folks put into it will be for nothing.
Score
January 29, 2012 6:58:20 AM

All I read was "We're just gonna cut these features cause we don't wanna spend time on them"
Score
January 29, 2012 6:58:36 AM

All I read was "We're just gonna cut these features cause we don't wanna spend time on them"
Score
January 29, 2012 7:00:02 AM

robochumpActually glad 'cutesy' pets removed. Who the hell thought cute was a good idea?

I won't disagree with you on the principle, but the fact that they are considering bringing it back just screams "gonna sell on the pet store".

Not to mention it goes along with the fact that it's yet another cut, even if this individual one may not be a bad one, and all the cuts also point at "consolizing" the game and trying to rush it out the door because they have so much on their plates this year.
Score
January 29, 2012 7:07:54 AM

dragonsqrrlOh good, you're back to educate us more... Kitten, do tell us, what do you think of Blizzard?

If you think I'm wrong, why not actually state what you think I'm wrong about.

Do you think all these cuts to D3 are good? Do you think Kotick is good for gaming and good for Blizz? And if so, mind explaining how?

You want me to tell you what I think of Blizzard? Ok, here goes. I like Blizzard. I have always been a fan of theirs. But when Vivendi bought Activsion and merged the two companies to make Activision Blizzard, they chose the man who was the CEO of Activision and ruined their name to be the CEO of Acitvision Blizzard. He is the person I think is responsible for Blizzard's downfall as of late. I may have issues with the storytelling of Metzen, but that alone would not have led me to leave WoW. But anyone looking at Kotick's history and Blizzard's history, and seeing how things have been since the 2008 merger can not help but see a HUGE difference in how Blizzard has operated.

Considering WoW lost 1.7 million subs in just 3 quarters, the first 3 following the release of an expansion, how the comics, the magazine have both been cancelled, how the pre Cataclysm novel sales have been abysmal, it really doesn't appear I am alone.

And the reason I care is because I want to return being a Blizzard customer. I want Vivendi to know that as a customer of Blizzard for years, I am dissatisfied with the leadership they placed over Blizzard in Bobby Kotick. I want to be the customer of a company that expands choices for gamers, the way Blizzard had been till the merger. Not a customer of a gaming philosophy that has led to the running into the ground and destroying of great selling franchises like Guitar Hero the way Kotick's mentality ruined that, and other titles.
Score
January 29, 2012 2:34:12 PM

hmmm by my count they "simplified by removing 3 stats and adding 4, the math doesn't really add up for me there, though I recognize they simplified how each stat affects the character. As someone who has played the beta, some stat simplification was definitely needed, either that or more clarification about what effects each stat had.

I think the pets were fine as they were, though some permanence was needed instead of re-casting the scroll every 3-5 minutes. I would have no problem if they brought them back as rewards for earning certain achievements or something, however having to buy them.....no thanks, pass. They will need something to replace the functionality though, a better way of grabbing the TONS AND TONS of small 2-9 gold that drop everywhere.

As for the cauldron and cube, well, the cauldron wasn't in the beta so I don't even know what it did, and the cube was not at all the cube of D2, but simply a "de-construction button" something that broke items down into the crafting mats. It was nice to be able to do it yourself, but it also meant that there was no reason to manage your inventory (almost no reason to go back to town because of that). the only thing forcing you back to town was new skills, which looking ahead means after lvl 30 you basically didn't have a reason to return to town. The cube makes sense to get rid of, it really wasn't "the cube" that we've all enjoyed form the past.

As for the Nephalem altar, well I think having to make skill choices before you headed out added some mind to what we all know (and love) becomes mindless runs (Baal runs anyone?). However, I think removing it is kind of a moot point since we now have the forced decision of returning more often to the blacksmith to break down items, or leaving them, and let's face it, most Diablo players can't leave any good loot behind, it's what the games is based around. SO people will be coming back ot town more often than before, and could have just swapped skills then.
Score
January 29, 2012 4:04:34 PM

Diablo 3 was released... many years ago... under the name Guild Wars: Prophecies. lol
Score
!