TMPGEnc aspect ratio

I need to get things straight on something that seems a little vague to me.
I want to create a low-resolution NTSC DVD (352x240), and my source is a
320x240 avi file (My DVD will be in MPEG-2 format, since it will be in VBR).
In TMPGEnc's project wizard, I selected "Low Resolution DVD" as the DVD I
wanted to create, but when I had to select the aspect ratio in the advanced
settings, there were 3 settings that made sense to me: 4:3 525 line (NTSC),
4:3 525 line (NTSC, 704x480), and 4:3 Display. Now, as this is a low
resolution DVD, the 704x480 setting is eliminated from that list. That
leaves me with 4:3 525 line (NTSC), or 4:3 Display. In TMPGEnc's help file,
it says that the aspect ratios with a number of lines (525, 625...) were for
MPEG-1 videos, and the "Display" ratios (4:3 Display, 16:9 Display...) were
for MPEG-2 videos. I have also read somewhere that the "Display" ratios
were for non-standard resolutions and that this had to do with the source
video rather than the destination video. This seems strange to me...why
would you select the aspect ratio of your source vid? Shouldn't this be
automatically detected? I believe you should select the aspect ratio to
determine how the destination video will display on your screen, right? As
I will convert a 320x240 avi into a 352x240 mpeg-2 file, I'm not sure which
ratio I should select. I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me on this
topic...I'm somewhat confused :)

"Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote in message
>I need to get things straight on something that seems a little vague to me.
> I want to create a low-resolution NTSC DVD (352x240), and my source is a
> 320x240 avi file (My DVD will be in MPEG-2 format, since it will be in
> VBR).
> In TMPGEnc's project wizard, I selected "Low Resolution DVD" as the DVD I
> wanted to create, but when I had to select the aspect ratio in the
> settings, there were 3 settings that made sense to me: 4:3 525 line
> (NTSC),
> 4:3 525 line (NTSC, 704x480), and 4:3 Display. Now, as this is a low
> resolution DVD, the 704x480 setting is eliminated from that list. That
> leaves me with 4:3 525 line (NTSC), or 4:3 Display. In TMPGEnc's help
> file,
> it says that the aspect ratios with a number of lines (525, 625...) were
> for
> MPEG-1 videos, and the "Display" ratios (4:3 Display, 16:9 Display...)
> were
> for MPEG-2 videos. I have also read somewhere that the "Display" ratios
> were for non-standard resolutions and that this had to do with the source
> video rather than the destination video. This seems strange to me...why
> would you select the aspect ratio of your source vid? Shouldn't this be
> automatically detected? I believe you should select the aspect ratio to
> determine how the destination video will display on your screen, right?
> As
> I will convert a 320x240 avi into a 352x240 mpeg-2 file, I'm not sure
> which
> ratio I should select. I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me on this
> topic...I'm somewhat confused :)

There are both Storage ratios and Display ratios, the NTSC
(TV) display is 4:3 525 lines interlaced. Whatever the storage
ratio the display will be full screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3
for a normal TV. From what you've posted I'd guess that you
want to use the "Display" setting for your MPEG2.

Be sure and check that the fps settings are right also, or you
could have a progressive lip-sync loss.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote in message
> >I need to get things straight on something that seems a little vague to
me.
> > I want to create a low-resolution NTSC DVD (352x240), and my source is a
> > 320x240 avi file (My DVD will be in MPEG-2 format, since it will be in
> > VBR).
> > In TMPGEnc's project wizard, I selected "Low Resolution DVD" as the DVD
> > wanted to create, but when I had to select the aspect ratio in the
> > settings, there were 3 settings that made sense to me: 4:3 525 line
> > (NTSC),
> > 4:3 525 line (NTSC, 704x480), and 4:3 Display. Now, as this is a low
> > resolution DVD, the 704x480 setting is eliminated from that list. That
> > leaves me with 4:3 525 line (NTSC), or 4:3 Display. In TMPGEnc's help
> > file,
> > it says that the aspect ratios with a number of lines (525, 625...) were
> > for
> > MPEG-1 videos, and the "Display" ratios (4:3 Display, 16:9 Display...)
> > were
> > for MPEG-2 videos. I have also read somewhere that the "Display" ratios
> > were for non-standard resolutions and that this had to do with the
source
> > video rather than the destination video. This seems strange to me...why
> > would you select the aspect ratio of your source vid? Shouldn't this be
> > automatically detected? I believe you should select the aspect ratio to
> > determine how the destination video will display on your screen, right?
> > As
> > I will convert a 320x240 avi into a 352x240 mpeg-2 file, I'm not sure
> > which
> > ratio I should select. I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me on this
> > topic...I'm somewhat confused :)
> >

> There are both Storage ratios and Display ratios, the NTSC
> (TV) display is 4:3 525 lines interlaced. Whatever the storage
> ratio the display will be full screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3
> for a normal TV. From what you've posted I'd guess that you
> want to use the "Display" setting for your MPEG2.
>
> Be sure and check that the fps settings are right also, or you
> could have a progressive lip-sync loss.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

The fps setting? Well, I'm usually using 29.97 fps since this is the NTSC
standard, but what do you mean by a lip-sync loss? Usually I'm converting
both audio and video with TMPGEnc...

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote in message
>> >I need to get things straight on something that seems a little vague to
> me.
>> > I want to create a low-resolution NTSC DVD (352x240), and my source is
>> > 320x240 avi file (My DVD will be in MPEG-2 format, since it will be in
>> > VBR).
>> > In TMPGEnc's project wizard, I selected "Low Resolution DVD" as the DVD
>> > wanted to create, but when I had to select the aspect ratio in the
>> > settings, there were 3 settings that made sense to me: 4:3 525 line
>> > (NTSC),
>> > 4:3 525 line (NTSC, 704x480), and 4:3 Display. Now, as this is a low
>> > resolution DVD, the 704x480 setting is eliminated from that list. That
>> > leaves me with 4:3 525 line (NTSC), or 4:3 Display. In TMPGEnc's help
>> > file,
>> > it says that the aspect ratios with a number of lines (525, 625...)
>> > were
>> > for
>> > MPEG-1 videos, and the "Display" ratios (4:3 Display, 16:9 Display...)
>> > were
>> > for MPEG-2 videos. I have also read somewhere that the "Display"
>> > ratios
>> > were for non-standard resolutions and that this had to do with the
> source
>> > video rather than the destination video. This seems strange to
>> > me...why
>> > would you select the aspect ratio of your source vid? Shouldn't this
>> > be
>> > automatically detected? I believe you should select the aspect ratio
>> > determine how the destination video will display on your screen, right?
>> > As
>> > I will convert a 320x240 avi into a 352x240 mpeg-2 file, I'm not sure
>> > which
>> > ratio I should select. I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me on
>> > this
>> > topic...I'm somewhat confused :)
>> >

>> There are both Storage ratios and Display ratios, the NTSC
>> (TV) display is 4:3 525 lines interlaced. Whatever the storage
>> ratio the display will be full screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3
>> for a normal TV. From what you've posted I'd guess that you
>> want to use the "Display" setting for your MPEG2.
>>
>> Be sure and check that the fps settings are right also, or you
>> could have a progressive lip-sync loss.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>

> The fps setting? Well, I'm usually using 29.97 fps since this is the NTSC
> standard, but what do you mean by a lip-sync loss? Usually I'm converting
> both audio and video with TMPGEnc...

The 23.976 fps is a film translation rate and is often the cause of
such lip-sync issues, unless you have it set the "display mode" to "3:2
pulldown playback". If your source is 23.978fps, your Encoder can
handle the "pulldown" and output at 29.97fps. Just something to be
aware of when setting up the encode.

Luck;
Ken

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:16:52 -0500, "Ampersand"
<ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:

>> This seems strange to me...why
>> > would you select the aspect ratio of your source vid? Shouldn't this be
>> > automatically detected? I believe you should select the aspect ratio to
>> > determine how the destination video will display on your screen, right?
>> > As
>> > I will convert a 320x240 avi into a 352x240 mpeg-2 file, I'm not sure
>> > which
>> > ratio I should select. I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me on this
>> > topic...I'm somewhat confused :)

The AR of the output can be chosen in tmpgenc.
Usually it defaults based on the template.
You'll find it in settings/video/aspect ratio

Sometimes it IS necessary to tell the program the source AR,
hence the setting on the advanced tab "source aspect ratio"

Dave

"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:16:52 -0500, "Ampersand"
> <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:
>
> >> This seems strange to me...why
> >> >
> The AR of the output can be chosen in tmpgenc.
> Usually it defaults based on the template.
> You'll find it in settings/video/aspect ratio
>
> Sometimes it IS necessary to tell the program the source AR,
> hence the setting on the advanced tab "source aspect ratio"
>
> Dave

And if I want to create an 352x240 mpeg-2 file from a 320x240 avi file,
which AR should I select? 4:3 525 line (NTSC), or 4:3 Display? Thanks!

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:15:44 -0500, "Ampersand"
<ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:

>"da_test" <davexnet02NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>be
>right?
>this
>> >> >
>> The AR of the output can be chosen in tmpgenc.
>> Usually it defaults based on the template.
>> You'll find it in settings/video/aspect ratio
>>
>> Sometimes it IS necessary to tell the program the source AR,
>> hence the setting on the advanced tab "source aspect ratio"
>>
>> Dave
>
>And if I want to create an 352x240 mpeg-2 file from a 320x240 avi file,
>which AR should I select? 4:3 525 line (NTSC), or 4:3 Display? Thanks!

I think the simple thing to do is try each setting and watch the main
window in tmpgenc while it's encoding. The ntsc setting may give a
pinch at the sides.
Dave