Setting Up User Accounts

Here are the facts.

XP Pro desktop that is hardwired to a wireless hub (Lynksis).
XP Home laptop that uses the wireless connection.
Priority one is to enable the XP Home Laptop to have Remote Desktop access
the my XP Pro Desktop.

I enabled the Desktop to allow remote connections in the System Properties.
I understand that I need to add a user in order to connect; this is where I
begin having problems. I go into "Select Remote Users..." and then select
"Add". The "Select Users" dialog box opens up showing "Users" as the Object
Type and "DESKTOP" as the Location. I appear not to have any other options.

What do I enter as the object name? When I run the "Find Now" command in
the advanced tab, I get a several users that read as follows.

Name: Administrator, In Folder: DESKTOP
Name: Brian, In Folder: DESKTOP
and so on...

Where do I go from here? Will setting up a password be intuitive? I
relatively new to networking, so be gentle...

Thanks! Brian
1 answer Last reply
More about setting user accounts

    You enter the name of a user on the local XP Pro PC that you want to access/control from the XP Home
    PC. The user is local to the XP Pro machine, not the XP Home machine, and must have a password.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Brian" <bfrei@cableone.net> wrote in message news:ueurR%23ZDFHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Here are the facts.
    >
    > XP Pro desktop that is hardwired to a wireless hub (Lynksis).
    > XP Home laptop that uses the wireless connection.
    > Priority one is to enable the XP Home Laptop to have Remote Desktop access the my XP Pro Desktop.
    >
    > I enabled the Desktop to allow remote connections in the System Properties. I understand that I
    > need to add a user in order to connect; this is where I begin having problems. I go into "Select
    > Remote Users..." and then select "Add". The "Select Users" dialog box opens up showing "Users" as
    > the Object Type and "DESKTOP" as the Location. I appear not to have any other options.
    >
    > What do I enter as the object name? When I run the "Find Now" command in the advanced tab, I get
    > a several users that read as follows.
    >
    > Name: Administrator, In Folder: DESKTOP
    > Name: Brian, In Folder: DESKTOP
    > and so on...
    >
    > Where do I go from here? Will setting up a password be intuitive? I relatively new to
    > networking, so be gentle...
    >
    > Thanks! Brian

Desktops User Accounts Windows XP