Working with VOB's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2005 4:36:11 AM

Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
with this one please?

More about : working vob

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:47:17 PM

On 27 Feb 2005 01:36:11 -0800, garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

>Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
>VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
>them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
>with this one please?
One of the first (and still useful) tools is the free DVD2AVI.
The VOB is opened, analyzed, and a D2V project is saved.

This project can be opened directly in Tmpgenc and probably
similar mpeg encoders.

Or you can open the D2V in VFAPICONV and it will create
another project, which will enable access to the original
VOB as if it were now an AVI.

Both of these tools are free.

Dave
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:56:15 PM

On 27 Feb 2005 01:36:11 -0800, garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

>Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
>VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
>them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
>with this one please?

Look for a program called: VobEdit, from the same makers as: IfoEdit
if I am correct. It's freeware. But it depends on what you want to do.
If you're planning to use only parts of it, you better de-multiplex
the .vob into it's elementary streams. (A .vob is not a .mpg, so it is
better not use rename from .vob to .mpg.)
February 27, 2005 6:59:53 PM

> Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
> VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
> them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
> with this one please?

Womble MPEG Wizzard works with VOBs. You can join them, split them, change
in & out point, add audio, demux, etc. Even basic video editing with
transitions. It will do most things without re-encoding (i.e. fast & no
quality loss). If you do something like add a transition or fade in/out,
it'll only re-encode the necessary bits, leaving the rest untouched. Files
are exported to MPEG format.
February 27, 2005 11:43:49 PM

garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

> Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
> VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
> them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
> with this one please?

Cyberlink Power Director is great. You can import VOBs & save as Mpeg2,
Mpeg1, DV-AVI, Windows-AVI, + lots of editing options.
February 27, 2005 11:43:50 PM

curious, what does VOB stand for?

"Whisper" <beaver999@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
>> VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
>> them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
>> with this one please?
>>

> Cyberlink Power Director is great. You can import VOBs & save as Mpeg2,
> Mpeg1, DV-AVI, Windows-AVI, + lots of editing options.

February 27, 2005 11:46:02 PM

Whisper wrote:

> garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
>> VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
>> them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
>> with this one please?
>>

> Cyberlink Power Director is great. You can import VOBs & save as Mpeg2,
> Mpeg1, DV-AVI, Windows-AVI, + lots of editing options.

Of course you have to run VOBs through Decrypter 1st to remove
macrovision protection, & then import from hard drive.
February 28, 2005 1:40:54 AM

l wrote:

> curious, what does VOB stand for?

DVD Video OBject.
March 4, 2005 11:00:44 PM

Premiere Pro doesn't seem to accept vob's either, but if you copy them
to a drive and rename them as .mpg's suddenly Premiere understands
them. You still should render them to get good editing response.

garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

>Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
>VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
>them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
>with this one please?
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 9:23:24 PM

Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
with this one please?

I found ULEAD Video Studio 7 & 8 handle most VOB files when renaming
them to mpg.
BUT:

I just received 2 DVDs from my brother (75 years old) in Germany, this
contained footage from his trip in Canada. He says the authoring was
supposedly made with Nero, they play on 2 different DVD players, but
freeze when fast forwarded. Only play and pause works.

I planned to re edit this with ULEAD to get all features working:

Each DVD contains the usual files plus 2 VOB files.
The first VOB is OK, the second gives a black screen only when playing
on the PC DVD software player, also when loaded into ULEAD.
Suggestions anyone?

Regards,
Max

--

Max Haltermann, Geelong VIC
Anonymous

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:23:24 +0000, Dietmar Haltermann
<maxh@pipeline.com.au> wrote:

> Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
> VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
> them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
> with this one please?
>
> I found ULEAD Video Studio 7 & 8 handle most VOB files when renaming
> them to mpg.
> BUT:
>
> I just received 2 DVDs from my brother (75 years old) in Germany, this
> contained footage from his trip in Canada. He says the authoring was
> supposedly made with Nero, they play on 2 different DVD players, but
> freeze when fast forwarded. Only play and pause works.
>
> I planned to re edit this with ULEAD to get all features working:
>
> Each DVD contains the usual files plus 2 VOB files.
> The first VOB is OK, the second gives a black screen only when playing
> on the PC DVD software player, also when loaded into ULEAD.
> Suggestions anyone?

De-multiplex the .vob's with TMPGEnc's Mpeg-tools and working with the
chosen resulting elementary streams could go better.
!