Working with VOB's?

Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
with this one please?
10 answers Last reply
More about working

    On 27 Feb 2005 01:36:11 -0800, garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

    >Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    >VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    >them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    >with this one please?
    One of the first (and still useful) tools is the free DVD2AVI.
    The VOB is opened, analyzed, and a D2V project is saved.

    This project can be opened directly in Tmpgenc and probably
    similar mpeg encoders.

    Or you can open the D2V in VFAPICONV and it will create
    another project, which will enable access to the original
    VOB as if it were now an AVI.

    Both of these tools are free.

    Dave

    On 27 Feb 2005 01:36:11 -0800, garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

    >Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    >VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    >them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    >with this one please?

    Look for a program called: VobEdit, from the same makers as: IfoEdit
    if I am correct. It's freeware. But it depends on what you want to do.
    If you're planning to use only parts of it, you better de-multiplex
    the .vob into it's elementary streams. (A .vob is not a .mpg, so it is
    better not use rename from .vob to .mpg.)

    > Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    > VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    > them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    > with this one please?

    Womble MPEG Wizzard works with VOBs. You can join them, split them, change
    in & out point, add audio, demux, etc. Even basic video editing with
    transitions. It will do most things without re-encoding (i.e. fast & no
    quality loss). If you do something like add a transition or fade in/out,
    it'll only re-encode the necessary bits, leaving the rest untouched. Files
    are exported to MPEG format.

    garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

    > Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    > VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    > them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    > with this one please?

    Cyberlink Power Director is great. You can import VOBs & save as Mpeg2,
    Mpeg1, DV-AVI, Windows-AVI, + lots of editing options.

    curious, what does VOB stand for?

    Whisper wrote:

    > garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    >> VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    >> them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    >> with this one please?
    >>

    > Cyberlink Power Director is great. You can import VOBs & save as Mpeg2,
    > Mpeg1, DV-AVI, Windows-AVI, + lots of editing options.

    Of course you have to run VOBs through Decrypter 1st to remove
    macrovision protection, & then import from hard drive.

    l wrote:

    > curious, what does VOB stand for?

    DVD Video OBject.

    Premiere Pro doesn't seem to accept vob's either, but if you copy them
    to a drive and rename them as .mpg's suddenly Premiere understands
    them. You still should render them to get good editing response.

    garthsmith@gmail.com wrote:

    >Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    >VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    >them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    >with this one please?

    Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    with this one please?

    I found ULEAD Video Studio 7 & 8 handle most VOB files when renaming
    them to mpg.
    BUT:

    I just received 2 DVDs from my brother (75 years old) in Germany, this
    contained footage from his trip in Canada. He says the authoring was
    supposedly made with Nero, they play on 2 different DVD players, but
    freeze when fast forwarded. Only play and pause works.

    I planned to re edit this with ULEAD to get all features working:

    Each DVD contains the usual files plus 2 VOB files.
    The first VOB is OK, the second gives a black screen only when playing
    on the PC DVD software player, also when loaded into ULEAD.
    Suggestions anyone?

    Regards,
    Max

    --

    Max Haltermann, Geelong VIC

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:23:24 +0000, Dietmar Haltermann
    <maxh@pipeline.com.au> wrote:

    > Is anyone having any experience and luck when it comes to working with
    > VOB files? Sonic MyDVD doesn't accept VOB's, so I am having to convert
    > them to other file formats that It would import. Can anyone help me
    > with this one please?
    >
    > I found ULEAD Video Studio 7 & 8 handle most VOB files when renaming
    > them to mpg.
    > BUT:
    >
    > I just received 2 DVDs from my brother (75 years old) in Germany, this
    > contained footage from his trip in Canada. He says the authoring was
    > supposedly made with Nero, they play on 2 different DVD players, but
    > freeze when fast forwarded. Only play and pause works.
    >
    > I planned to re edit this with ULEAD to get all features working:
    >
    > Each DVD contains the usual files plus 2 VOB files.
    > The first VOB is OK, the second gives a black screen only when playing
    > on the PC DVD software player, also when loaded into ULEAD.
    > Suggestions anyone?

    De-multiplex the .vob's with TMPGEnc's Mpeg-tools and working with the
    chosen resulting elementary streams could go better.

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics