remote desktop- no password?

February 8, 2005 10:45:39 PM

I'd like to be able to remotely access my home computer. Obviously,
that connection needs to be password protected. But I don't want to
have to enter a password everytime I access my user account when I am
sitting in front of my home computer.

Is there a way to require a password to access remotely, but not
require a password locally? Or should I break down and buy one of
those fingerprint readers...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 8:18:07 AM

I know you can use the XP Power Toy "Tweak UI" to configure your desktop for automatic logon, ie.
bypass the password when logging in from the keyboard.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

Its possible that the combination of Tweak UI and setting the group policy to always prompt for a
password when logging with Remote Desktop will do what you want...I have never tried that however...

Configure your XP Pro desktop to always prompt for a password to log onto Remote Desktop.

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Me" <jkfdlasoeur@excite.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to be able to remotely access my home computer. Obviously,
> that connection needs to be password protected. But I don't want to
> have to enter a password everytime I access my user account when I am
> sitting in front of my home computer.
>
> Is there a way to require a password to access remotely, but not
> require a password locally? Or should I break down and buy one of
> those fingerprint readers...
February 9, 2005 10:28:25 AM

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<ey3KJkpDFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...

> Configure your XP Pro desktop to always prompt for a password to log onto Remote Desktop.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

Isn't it always required to enter a password when you are remote? If
not, isn't your computer wide open to anyone?
February 9, 2005 12:53:32 PM

It is possible to configure the PC so you can log on using Remote Desktop automatically without
inputting a password...

Your correct in that would be a probable and potential security risk..Which I do not recommend
anyone doing...

--

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>

>> Configure your XP Pro desktop to always prompt for a password to log onto Remote Desktop.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>>

> Isn't it always required to enter a password when you are remote? If
> not, isn't your computer wide open to anyone?
February 9, 2005 7:37:06 PM

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<enuuC#rDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> It is possible to configure the PC so you can log on using Remote Desktop automatically without
> inputting a password...
>
> Your correct in that would be a probable and potential security risk..Which I do not recommend
> anyone doing...
>
> --

OK, I figured out a solution to the problem. I created another user
account, password protected, just for remote access. With tweakui, it
doesn't even show up on the log on screen. This way, I can use my
regular account at home without having to deal with a password, but
can still access my computer remotely.
!