remote desktop- no password?

I'd like to be able to remotely access my home computer. Obviously,
that connection needs to be password protected. But I don't want to
have to enter a password everytime I access my user account when I am
sitting in front of my home computer.

Is there a way to require a password to access remotely, but not
require a password locally? Or should I break down and buy one of
those fingerprint readers...
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop password

    I know you can use the XP Power Toy "Tweak UI" to configure your desktop for automatic logon, ie.
    bypass the password when logging in from the keyboard.

    Its possible that the combination of Tweak UI and setting the group policy to always prompt for a
    password when logging with Remote Desktop will do what you want...I have never tried that however...

    Configure your XP Pro desktop to always prompt for a password to log onto Remote Desktop.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_raqe.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_uvnl.asp

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<ey3KJkpDFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...

    > Configure your XP Pro desktop to always prompt for a password to log onto Remote Desktop.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_raqe.asp
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_uvnl.asp

    Isn't it always required to enter a password when you are remote? If
    not, isn't your computer wide open to anyone?

    It is possible to configure the PC so you can log on using Remote Desktop automatically without
    inputting a password...

    Your correct in that would be a probable and potential security risk..Which I do not recommend
    anyone doing...

    --

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<enuuC#rDFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > It is possible to configure the PC so you can log on using Remote Desktop automatically without
    > inputting a password...
    >
    > Your correct in that would be a probable and potential security risk..Which I do not recommend
    > anyone doing...
    >
    > --

    OK, I figured out a solution to the problem. I created another user
    account, password protected, just for remote access. With tweakui, it
    doesn't even show up on the log on screen. This way, I can use my
    regular account at home without having to deal with a password, but
    can still access my computer remotely.

Remote Desktop Computers Windows XP