CZ server won't load some specific CS maps...

I have a CZ server, not mine, I rented it on internet. Never the less... I
tried loading fy_iceworld.bsp, then tried loading the map, it won't load
properly. once I typed amx_map fy_iceworld, the machine just simply tries
to change the map, but getting stuck/crash at the sametime. however when I
tried fy_iceworld_cz.bsp, it work perfectly fine. I know that CZ is
compatible with CS maps as well, but just no some, another map that my CZ
server won't load is cs_winternights.bsp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about server load specific maps

    My first thought is that you're missing the de_vegas.wad on the server in
    the main cstrike folder. Only idea so far.

    "Justin" <yumi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I have a CZ server, not mine, I rented it on internet. Never the less...
    > tried loading fy_iceworld.bsp, then tried loading the map, it won't load
    > properly. once I typed amx_map fy_iceworld, the machine just simply tries
    > to change the map, but getting stuck/crash at the sametime. however when
    > tried fy_iceworld_cz.bsp, it work perfectly fine. I know that CZ is
    > compatible with CS maps as well, but just no some, another map that my CZ
    > server won't load is cs_winternights.bsp.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks

    Does de_vegas.wad effect other maps aside from say de_vegas.bsp?

    "RaynServ Web Hosting" <rayncruz@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > My first thought is that you're missing the de_vegas.wad on the server in
    > the main cstrike folder. Only idea so far.
    >

    > "Justin" <yumi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > I have a CZ server, not mine, I rented it on internet. Never the
    less...
    > > tried loading fy_iceworld.bsp, then tried loading the map, it won't load
    > > properly. once I typed amx_map fy_iceworld, the machine just simply
    tries
    > > to change the map, but getting stuck/crash at the sametime. however
    when
    > > tried fy_iceworld_cz.bsp, it work perfectly fine. I know that CZ is
    > > compatible with CS maps as well, but just no some, another map that my
    CZ
    > > server won't load is cs_winternights.bsp.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    If you're not informed, here's your answer. Please don't take offense if it
    covers items already in your library of knowledge.
    The .wad files are textures for various maps. This would be the reason that
    some of the custom maps you have seen in the past also enclose a .wad file
    in their map downloads. In the case of fy_iceworld, the author of the map
    used textures in the de_vegas.wad collection in making the map. So this file
    must reside in the main server's cstrike folder for the server to run the
    map. In the case of you installing this map in your STEAM rotation you will
    find that the de_vegas.wad is not in the STEAM server by default. This would
    be because the default map that Valve used that .wad for was for the
    de_vegas.bsp map that is no longer included in the STEAM version of CS.
    Therefore, it must be added to the server to suffice your ability to run
    fy_iceworld.bsp. In addition, the client-side of a STEAM install is also
    without this necessary .wad file. To effectively run this map on your server
    you should also add a file called fy_iceworld.res to the maps folder on the
    server with an entry for de_vegas.wad. This will send the .wad to the client
    so they may play the map on your server. Most people that play that map
    would probably have gotten the de_vegas.wad file from another server but for
    the unfortunate player that has not will not be able to play that map
    without the server being set up to give them the required texture file.
    I hope this information covers areas outside of your current knowledge and
    completely answers your question to your satisfaction. Good luck to you.

    Ray S.

    > Does de_vegas.wad effect other maps aside from say de_vegas.bsp?
    >
    > "RaynServ Web Hosting" <rayncruz@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > My first thought is that you're missing the de_vegas.wad on the server
    in
    > > the main cstrike folder. Only idea so far.
    > >

    > > "Justin" <yumi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > > I have a CZ server, not mine, I rented it on internet. Never the
    > less...
    > > > tried loading fy_iceworld.bsp, then tried loading the map, it won't
    load
    > > > properly. once I typed amx_map fy_iceworld, the machine just simply
    > tries
    > > > to change the map, but getting stuck/crash at the sametime. however
    > when
    > > > tried fy_iceworld_cz.bsp, it work perfectly fine. I know that CZ is
    > > > compatible with CS maps as well, but just no some, another map that my
    > CZ
    > > > server won't load is cs_winternights.bsp.
    > > >
    > > > Any thoughts?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Also note that I misread the post in not realizing that this was for a CZ
    server so simply apply the change of "czero" in place of what I've commented
    to "cstrike".
    My apologies.

    Ray S.

    "Justin" <yumi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Does de_vegas.wad effect other maps aside from say de_vegas.bsp?
    >
    > "RaynServ Web Hosting" <rayncruz@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > My first thought is that you're missing the de_vegas.wad on the server
    in
    > > the main cstrike folder. Only idea so far.
    > >

    > > "Justin" <yumi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > > I have a CZ server, not mine, I rented it on internet. Never the
    > less...
    > > > tried loading fy_iceworld.bsp, then tried loading the map, it won't
    load
    > > > properly. once I typed amx_map fy_iceworld, the machine just simply
    > tries
    > > > to change the map, but getting stuck/crash at the sametime. however
    > when
    > > > tried fy_iceworld_cz.bsp, it work perfectly fine. I know that CZ is
    > > > compatible with CS maps as well, but just no some, another map that my
    > CZ
    > > > server won't load is cs_winternights.bsp.
    > > >
    > > > Any thoughts?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Jesus... I really appreciate your effort, thanks a million.

    In regards to what you said, I think the "wad" thing is bad business and bad
    news! I have some CZ maps that require WAD files, and whenever the map
    rotation is on, a very limited number of players can join and play simply
    because most of them have a "wad" error, because it's not in the proper
    folders. Wish they'd change that someday.

    Say... I'm just trying to get a map called cs_winternights.bsp to work, when
    I downloaded the package, it only had a bsp file and a letitsnow.wav file.
    No wad what so ever, you know anything about it? I mean... are all CS maps
    100% compatible with CZ?

    Thanks!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Also be informed that CZ has it's own version of iceworld called
    fy_iceworld_cz.bsp that you will find on the net. It is greatly enhanced and
    even has snow and is something you might concider finding and installing.

    Ray S.

    > If you're not informed, here's your answer. Please don't take offense if
    it
    > covers items already in your library of knowledge.
    > The .wad files are textures for various maps. This would be the reason
    that
    > some of the custom maps you have seen in the past also enclose a .wad file
    > in their map downloads. In the case of fy_iceworld, the author of the map
    > used textures in the de_vegas.wad collection in making the map. So this
    file
    > must reside in the main server's cstrike folder for the server to run the
    > map. In the case of you installing this map in your STEAM rotation you
    will
    > find that the de_vegas.wad is not in the STEAM server by default. This
    would
    > be because the default map that Valve used that .wad for was for the
    > de_vegas.bsp map that is no longer included in the STEAM version of CS.
    > Therefore, it must be added to the server to suffice your ability to run
    > fy_iceworld.bsp. In addition, the client-side of a STEAM install is also
    > without this necessary .wad file. To effectively run this map on your
    server
    > you should also add a file called fy_iceworld.res to the maps folder on
    the
    > server with an entry for de_vegas.wad. This will send the .wad to the
    client
    > so they may play the map on your server. Most people that play that map
    > would probably have gotten the de_vegas.wad file from another server but
    for
    > the unfortunate player that has not will not be able to play that map
    > without the server being set up to give them the required texture file.
    > I hope this information covers areas outside of your current knowledge and
    > completely answers your question to your satisfaction. Good luck to you.
    >
    > Ray S.
    >
    > "Justin" <yumi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Does de_vegas.wad effect other maps aside from say de_vegas.bsp?
    > >
    > > "RaynServ Web Hosting" <rayncruz@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > My first thought is that you're missing the de_vegas.wad on the server
    > in
    > > > the main cstrike folder. Only idea so far.
    > > >

    > > > "Justin" <yumi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > less...
    > load
    > > tries
    > > when
    > > CZ

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    In an overall sense, no, they are not. In the actual usage you will find
    that most do. The reasoning I'm finding is that the map you are referring to
    was made for CS not CZ. My assumption is that the map uses one or more of
    the default wads from CS and the CZ server doesn't have them. As an
    experiment you could add all the .wad files from the CS server to the CZ
    server and give it a try. This is a safe move for the server as the new CZ
    server uses .wads renamed specifically for CZ. An example would be
    "czcs_italy.wad". Be sure to have viewed my message about putting these
    ..wads in the "czero" folder instead of the "cstrike" folder as I wasn't
    initially aware that you were referring to a CZ server. I'm suggesting you
    copy all of the original CS .wads to your "czero" folder in the CZ server as
    an experiment since the differring filenames will prevent corruption and
    will be easy to identify when/if you decide to take them back out. Good luck
    with your continuing endeavor.

    Ray S.
    http://rod.kicks-ass.org

    > Jesus... I really appreciate your effort, thanks a million.
    >
    > In regards to what you said, I think the "wad" thing is bad business and
    bad
    > news! I have some CZ maps that require WAD files, and whenever the map
    > rotation is on, a very limited number of players can join and play simply
    > because most of them have a "wad" error, because it's not in the proper
    > folders. Wish they'd change that someday.
    >
    > Say... I'm just trying to get a map called cs_winternights.bsp to work,
    when
    > I downloaded the package, it only had a bsp file and a letitsnow.wav file.
    > No wad what so ever, you know anything about it? I mean... are all CS
    maps
    > 100% compatible with CZ?
    >
    > Thanks!

Games Compatibility Servers Video Games