How to find the best photo paper for inkject (Epson photo ..

peter

Is there any resource on the web that would help me find the best glossy
photo paper for an Epson stylus photo 870 so I won't have to buy different
papers to test?

What would be ideal is some sort of specification about the paper (e.g.
whiteness, ink absorption, dot gain, etc) and specification on the printers
so that given the spec of any printer, you can pick out the papers that are
going to work well with it without doing any testing.

peter wrote:
> Is there any resource on the web that would help me find the best glossy
> photo paper for an Epson stylus photo 870 so I won't have to buy different
> papers to test?
>
> What would be ideal is some sort of specification about the paper (e.g.
> whiteness, ink absorption, dot gain, etc) and specification on the printers
> so that given the spec of any printer, you can pick out the papers that are
> going to work well with it without doing any testing.

Is there something wrong with Epson paper?

Gary Eickmeier

"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> peter wrote:
>> Is there any resource on the web that would help me find the best
>> glossy photo paper for an Epson stylus photo 870 so I won't have to
>> buy different papers to test?
>>
>> What would be ideal is some sort of specification about the paper
>> (e.g. whiteness, ink absorption, dot gain, etc) and specification on
>> the printers so that given the spec of any printer, you can pick out
>> the papers that are going to work well with it without doing any
>> testing.
>
> Is there something wrong with Epson paper?

I would also like to find an alternate.

The problem with the Epson paper is the high price in my case.
It is almost to the point where the paper for the wrap-around
DVD case is the most expensive part of the package.

> > Is there something wrong with Epson paper?
>
> I would also like to find an alternate.
>
> The problem with the Epson paper is the high price in my case.
> It is almost to the point where the paper for the wrap-around
> DVD case is the most expensive part of the package.

I'd really like to find an alternative as well but in a direct comparison,
after all new cartridges, prints on the Epson paper just look _better_ than
on HP, Canon, etc., at least with my R200. My wife and I have done the
comparison twice now and it's always the same.

With the price of printable CD/DVD's, jewel cases, photo paper and ink,
making your own disks can get to be a bit expensive. <g> But you have to
love the look on people's face when you give them your work and it looks
professional. Quality never is cheap, unfortunately.

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there something wrong with Epson paper?
>>
>> I would also like to find an alternate.
>>
>> The problem with the Epson paper is the high price in my case.
>> It is almost to the point where the paper for the wrap-around
>> DVD case is the most expensive part of the package.
>
> I'd really like to find an alternative as well but in a direct
> comparison,
> after all new cartridges, prints on the Epson paper just look _better_
> than
> on HP, Canon, etc., at least with my R200. My wife and I have done the
> comparison twice now and it's always the same.
>
> With the price of printable CD/DVD's, jewel cases, photo paper and
> ink,
> making your own disks can get to be a bit expensive. <g> But you have
> love the look on people's face when you give them your work and it
> looks
> professional. Quality never is cheap, unfortunately.

Jewel cases (or "Amray"-style DVD cases) are remarkably cheap
(<50 cents) As are printable discs (both CD and DVD). And I bought
the continuous ink supply (from an eBay fellow in Hong Kong) that
was recommended in www.videohelp.com The CIS gadget should
lower the cost of the printing/ink to a very few cents per page/disc.

I have come to the same conclusion. If it's important to have a
good-looking product, you have to pay the "cost of doing business."

Jeanne

> With the price of printable CD/DVD's, jewel cases, photo paper and ink,
> making your own disks can get to be a bit expensive. <g> But you have to
> love the look on people's face when you give them your work and it looks
> professional. Quality never is cheap, unfortunately.

jt

I've not found any cheap papers that compare to the first-line
products. People will have opinions, but Epson paper is pretty nearly
unbeatable in an Epson printer. Rather than shop for cheaper paper,
look for a cheaper supplier for Epson paper. Costco used to sell 100
sheets of Epson photo paper for about USD18, but I haven't looked
recently. And if you don't mind ebay, sometimes there are deals there.
And sometimes a stupid buyer pays a bit more than retail.

Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>peter wrote:
>> Is there any resource on the web that would help me find the best glossy
>> photo paper for an Epson stylus photo 870 so I won't have to buy different
>> papers to test?
>>
>> What would be ideal is some sort of specification about the paper (e.g.
>> whiteness, ink absorption, dot gain, etc) and specification on the printers
>> so that given the spec of any printer, you can pick out the papers that are
>> going to work well with it without doing any testing.
>
>Is there something wrong with Epson paper?
>
>Gary Eickmeier

"JT" wrote ...
> I've not found any cheap papers that compare to the first-line
> products. People will have opinions, but Epson paper is pretty nearly
> unbeatable in an Epson printer. Rather than shop for cheaper paper,
> look for a cheaper supplier for Epson paper. Costco used to sell 100
> sheets of Epson photo paper for about USD18, but I haven't looked
> recently. And if you don't mind ebay, sometimes there are deals there.
> And sometimes a stupid buyer pays a bit more than retail.

Yeah, they had them ONCE at my Costo, but I've never seen them
again (in almost two years). Also ONCE at the same Costco, they
had the break-apart no-perf business card stock. But never to appear
again. That's Costco for you. No continuity, especially of the good
stuff.

OTOH, I got a marvelous business card cutter for ~$75 which
cuts perfect size/shape business cards out of any A-size stock.
Works like magic and is even fun to use. One of my best buys
of last year.