Matrox DVD Player

Can anyone help me please?

I have a Matrox G450 16MB dual head card (G45+MDHA16DLXB, I think). I am
looking at purchasing the Matrox TV-out cable with Matrox DVD Player.
However, I might be able to purchase just the cable itself for a
considerably cheaper price.

Do I have to use the Matrox DVD Player to take advantage of the TV-out
functionality? (I'm assuming the Matrox DVD Player is not free)

If not, can I use PowerDVD or WinDVD (I have OEM versions which came
with my DVD drive and graphics card), or is there some freeware media
player which can do the job.

Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about matrox player

    The Matrox DVD Player is WinDVD. It doesn't matter which player you use
    because they are software playback utilizing memory areas of your VGA card.
    The Matrox TV-Out cable will work regardless of the DVD player you choose.

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > The Matrox DVD Player is WinDVD.

    For what it's worth, the G450 shipped with the infinitely superior
    OEM version of Ravisent Cinemaster, not WinDVD. If your
    system is borderline as far as horsepower goes (PIII-450Mhz
    or slower) it would probably be worth the extra cost to pick up
    Cinemaster. Otherwise use whichever player you want.

    "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> The Matrox DVD Player is WinDVD.
    >
    > For what it's worth, the G450 shipped with the infinitely superior
    > OEM version of Ravisent Cinemaster, not WinDVD. If your
    > system is borderline as far as horsepower goes (PIII-450Mhz
    > or slower) it would probably be worth the extra cost to pick up
    > Cinemaster. Otherwise use whichever player you want.

    There is no certain proof one is better than the other. PowerDVD works just
    as good. I might have misquoted which ships with what level of Matrox VGA
    card, and I certainly remember WinDVD being in a package with a G550
    sometime back. I have all the above along with Sonic Cineplayer and the only
    differences I have seen is some OEM versions will only playback up to 5
    minutes. In order to playback more time you have to purchase the full
    version.

    In this case I think "far superior" is subjective and prone to personal
    opinion.

    > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com> wrote in
    > > message
    > >> The Matrox DVD Player is WinDVD.
    > >
    > > For what it's worth, the G450 shipped with the infinitely superior
    > > OEM version of Ravisent Cinemaster, not WinDVD. If your
    > > system is borderline as far as horsepower goes (PIII-450Mhz
    > > or slower) it would probably be worth the extra cost to pick up
    > > Cinemaster. Otherwise use whichever player you want.
    > >

    > There is no certain proof one is better than the other. PowerDVD works just
    > as good. I might have misquoted which ships with what level of Matrox VGA
    > card, and I certainly remember WinDVD being in a package with a G550
    > sometime back. I have all the above along with Sonic Cineplayer and the only
    > differences I have seen is some OEM versions will only playback up to 5
    > minutes. In order to playback more time you have to purchase the full
    > version.
    >
    > In this case I think "far superior" is subjective and prone to personal
    > opinion.

    True. It depends where one's priorities are. More recent
    players have much better configuration options, especially for
    audio, but I've used all the major players and have yet to find
    any that match Cinemaster's video smoothness and quality.
    Cinemaster was so well written it could produce smooth video
    on a PII-350 system. Try *that* with PowerDVD or WinDVD.

    Rick wrote:
    > "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>The Matrox DVD Player is WinDVD.
    >

    > For what it's worth, the G450 shipped with the infinitely superior
    > OEM version of Ravisent Cinemaster, not WinDVD. If your
    > system is borderline as far as horsepower goes (PIII-450Mhz
    > or slower) it would probably be worth the extra cost to pick up
    > Cinemaster. Otherwise use whichever player you want.

    Thanks Rick and Larry for the info.

    "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:38kfogF5nsqdgU1@individual.net...

    Hi Rick

    > [...] but I've used all the major players and have yet to find
    > any that match Cinemaster's video smoothness and quality.

    I have two PCs, one with a Matrox G550 and one with a P650, but without the cds.
    Do you know where to get the OEM version of Ravisent Cinemaster and if it works
    with XP?

    I guess it's not on the "Matrox DVD Player" CD-ROM?
    http://shopmatrox.com/usa/products/categories.asp?CategoryID=43&Column=2

    Best regards,
    Lars

    "Lars Wolos" <news@wolos.com> wrote in message news:394k8qF5uaf5bU1@individual.net...
    > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:38kfogF5nsqdgU1@individual.net...
    >
    > Hi Rick
    >
    > > [...] but I've used all the major players and have yet to find
    > > any that match Cinemaster's video smoothness and quality.
    >
    > I have two PCs, one with a Matrox G550 and one with a P650, but without the cds.
    > Do you know where to get the OEM version of Ravisent Cinemaster and if it works
    > with XP?
    >
    > I guess it's not on the "Matrox DVD Player" CD-ROM?
    > http://shopmatrox.com/usa/products/categories.asp?CategoryID=43&Column=2

    I don't know. Probably not, because AFAIK no development has
    been done with Cinemaster since Ravisent was purchased by Sonic,
    even though Sonic is still selling it:
    http://www.sonic.com/products/cineplayer/cinemaster/default.asp

    I'd steer clear of Cinemaster if you have a more recent system.
    It runs great under Win2K SP3, but SP4 breaks it big time. It
    also may not run properly if DivX codecs are installed. Etc.

    "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:394oliF5vhqfbU1@individual.net...

    >> I guess it's not on the "Matrox DVD Player" CD-ROM?
    >> http://shopmatrox.com/usa/products/categories.asp?CategoryID=43&Column=2
    >
    > I don't know. Probably not, because AFAIK no development has
    > been done with Cinemaster since Ravisent was purchased by Sonic,
    > even though Sonic is still selling it:
    > http://www.sonic.com/products/cineplayer/cinemaster/default.asp

    I've just ordered that Matrox DVD Player and TV-Out cable above, but I guess
    it includes WinDVD (maybe Cinemaster aswell).

    > I'd steer clear of Cinemaster if you have a more recent system.

    I find the version history really confusing. There must be a more recent
    version called CineMaster2000:

    http://www.inmatrix.com/review/cine2000review.shtml
    Quote: "CineMaster 2000 really hasn't changed much from previous versions.
    Aside from its Windows 2000 support [...]"

    I wonder why it's not on the Sonic website. And then there's this rather strange
    URL http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/cinemaster.html
    which looks somewhat semi-legal or what?

    Lars

    "Lars Wolos" <news@wolos.com> wrote in message news:395rr1F5s43p1U1@individual.net...
    > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:394oliF5vhqfbU1@individual.net...
    >
    > >> I guess it's not on the "Matrox DVD Player" CD-ROM?
    > >> http://shopmatrox.com/usa/products/categories.asp?CategoryID=43&Column=2
    > >
    > > I don't know. Probably not, because AFAIK no development has
    > > been done with Cinemaster since Ravisent was purchased by Sonic,
    > > even though Sonic is still selling it:
    > > http://www.sonic.com/products/cineplayer/cinemaster/default.asp
    >
    > I've just ordered that Matrox DVD Player and TV-Out cable above, but I guess
    > it includes WinDVD (maybe Cinemaster aswell).
    >
    > > I'd steer clear of Cinemaster if you have a more recent system.
    >
    > I find the version history really confusing. There must be a more recent
    > version called CineMaster2000:
    >
    > http://www.inmatrix.com/review/cine2000review.shtml

    Yes, and the review is accurate.

    > Quote: "CineMaster 2000 really hasn't changed much from previous versions.
    > Aside from its Windows 2000 support [...]"
    >
    > I wonder why it's not on the Sonic website. And then there's this rather strange
    > URL http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/cinemaster.html
    > which looks somewhat semi-legal or what?

    I think you'll find most of those links are dead.

    As I mentioned earlier there's no reason to use Cinemaster if
    your system has adequate horsepower to handle more recent
    (and supported) players.

Tuner Cards DVD Players Matrox Graphics