Pinnacle Studio 9

Hi, first post on this forum!!

I have just upgraded from Studio 8 to 9, and have had no problems until I
tried to output to a DVD.
It all worked fine, but the DVD will only play on a PC, and not through a
normal DVD player, running though a PAL TV.
I would imagine its something to do with the encoding, but having never come
across the problem before, I dont really know where to start to find a fix!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks :o)
13 answers Last reply
More about pinnacle studio

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:01:32 GMT, "greg spalding"
    <greg.spalding@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi, first post on this forum!!
    >
    >I have just upgraded from Studio 8 to 9, and have had no problems until I
    >tried to output to a DVD.
    >It all worked fine, but the DVD will only play on a PC, and not through a
    >normal DVD player, running though a PAL TV.
    >I would imagine its something to do with the encoding, but having never come
    >across the problem before, I dont really know where to start to find a fix!!
    >
    >Can anyone help?
    >
    >Thanks :o)

    According to Pinnacle, Studio is only NTSC, not PAL.
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docloader_n.asp?templ=10&doclink=/WebVideo/studioversion9/English(US)/doc/s9_features_specs_7.html&Product_ID=1501&Langue_ID=7&loc=spec&division_id=
    or:
    http://tinyurl.com/2abua

    Unless there's a PAL version they don't show on their site.
    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:01:32 GMT, "greg spalding"
    <greg.spalding@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi, first post on this forum!!
    >
    >I have just upgraded from Studio 8 to 9, and have had no problems until I
    >tried to output to a DVD.
    >It all worked fine, but the DVD will only play on a PC, and not through a
    >normal DVD player, running though a PAL TV.
    >I would imagine its something to do with the encoding, but having never come
    >across the problem before, I dont really know where to start to find a fix!!
    >
    >Can anyone help?
    >
    >Thanks :o)

    I suspect it has something to do with the DVD Player or the media you
    are using. Try burning at a slower speed with your dvd burner. Try a
    different media format (i.e. + or-). Make sure you try the burned
    media on more than 1 dvd players since some players can be kinda
    unpredicable. Good Luck.

    I tend to think it maybe the DVD or format. I had Studio 9SE and that was
    PAL and now i have Studio 9 plus and that's also PAL.

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:01:32 GMT, "greg spalding"
    > <greg.spalding@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, first post on this forum!!
    >>
    >> I have just upgraded from Studio 8 to 9, and have had no problems
    >> until I tried to output to a DVD.
    >> It all worked fine, but the DVD will only play on a PC, and not
    >> through a normal DVD player, running though a PAL TV.
    >> I would imagine its something to do with the encoding, but having
    >> never come across the problem before, I dont really know where to
    >> start to find a fix!!
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> Thanks :o)
    >>
    > According to Pinnacle, Studio is only NTSC, not PAL.
    > http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docloader_n.asp?templ=10&doclink=/WebVideo/studioversion9/English(US)/doc/s9_features_specs_7.html&Product_ID=1501&Langue_ID=7&loc=spec&division_id=
    > or:
    > http://tinyurl.com/2abua

    Bill I don't read that link as saying that. I see it as saying only NTSC
    VCRs. According to my Studio 8 helpfile there is reference to selecting
    either in the setup menu.

    J.

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:40:42 -0500, "Jimmy" <JimmyCliff@xemaps.com>
    wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:01:32 GMT, "greg spalding"
    >> <greg.spalding@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, first post on this forum!!
    >>>
    >>> I have just upgraded from Studio 8 to 9, and have had no problems
    >>> until I tried to output to a DVD.
    >>> It all worked fine, but the DVD will only play on a PC, and not
    >>> through a normal DVD player, running though a PAL TV.
    >>> I would imagine its something to do with the encoding, but having
    >>> never come across the problem before, I dont really know where to
    >>> start to find a fix!!
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks :o)
    >>>
    >> According to Pinnacle, Studio is only NTSC, not PAL.
    >> http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docloader_n.asp?templ=10&doclink=/WebVideo/studioversion9/English(US)/doc/s9_features_specs_7.html&Product_ID=1501&Langue_ID=7&loc=spec&division_id=
    >> or:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2abua
    >
    > Bill I don't read that link as saying that. I see it as saying only NTSC
    >VCRs. According to my Studio 8 helpfile there is reference to selecting
    >either in the setup menu.
    >
    >J.

    Ah, that's the problem: "If you purchased your Studio product in North
    America, the option is permanently set to NTSC."
    That may be why: their site I found may be US only. If the OP bought
    outside the US, there should be the option to use PAL.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    greg spalding wrote:
    > Hi, first post on this forum!!
    >
    > I have just upgraded from Studio 8 to 9, and have had no problems
    > until I tried to output to a DVD.
    > It all worked fine, but the DVD will only play on a PC, and not
    > through a normal DVD player, running though a PAL TV.
    > I would imagine its something to do with the encoding, but having
    > never come across the problem before, I dont really know where to
    > start to find a fix!!
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks :o)

    Post everything you did exactly from start to finish. All your settings and
    everything you clicked on.

    J.

    I just tried another DVD burn from Studio 9, and this time it worked fine!
    Which is strange considering it would not play at all 3 days ago!
    The only thing it wont play on is my old Samsung 709 DVD player, but thats 5
    years old now, so its no real suprise!!
    "greg spalding" <greg.spalding@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, first post on this forum!!
    >
    > I have just upgraded from Studio 8 to 9, and have had no problems until I
    > tried to output to a DVD.
    > It all worked fine, but the DVD will only play on a PC, and not through a
    > normal DVD player, running though a PAL TV.
    > I would imagine its something to do with the encoding, but having never
    > come
    > across the problem before, I dont really know where to start to find a
    > fix!!
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks :o)

    Hi,
    Just picking up from the thread I posted about Studio 9 and burning DVDs.
    Not sure if you can help, but if I select "Make Movie" and then render my
    project as an AVI or MPEG, it only plays on my PC, which makes sense me!
    But if I select "Make Movie" and try to render the project to a DVD, it will
    only play on a DVD player, and not on my PC, even though it has a DVD player
    and re-writer built in.
    I've only just started using the DVD writer.
    So far, I have tried several different setting combinations on Studios 9,
    including VBR and CBR, different Bit Rates, Burn Speeds, as well as
    outputting the project as Video CD and S-VCD.

    Cheers!

    Greg

    greg spalding wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Just picking up from the thread I posted about Studio 9 and burning
    > DVDs. Not sure if you can help, but if I select "Make Movie" and then
    > render my project as an AVI or MPEG, it only plays on my PC, which
    > makes sense me! But if I select "Make Movie" and try to render the
    > project to a DVD, it will only play on a DVD player, and not on my
    > PC, even though it has a DVD player and re-writer built in.
    > I've only just started using the DVD writer.
    > So far, I have tried several different setting combinations on
    > Studios 9, including VBR and CBR, different Bit Rates, Burn Speeds,
    > as well as outputting the project as Video CD and S-VCD.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Greg

    Greetings Greg. No direct solution to your problem comes to mind. There are
    others that might be wiser to this particular issue. I would say however to
    try another application for the rendering process such as can be found here
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html. TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc DVD Author
    which I believe have trial periods or a free versions. TMPGEnc will render
    while TDVDA will burn. What DVD Burner do you have and what DVD playing
    software are you using? Are you also saying that your attempts to author a
    VCD is unsuccessful? Are you sure the burner is functioning properly? Have
    you burned audio ok recently?

    HTH

    J.

    greg spalding wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Just picking up from the thread I posted about Studio 9 and burning
    > DVDs. Not sure if you can help, but if I select "Make Movie" and then
    > render my project as an AVI or MPEG, it only plays on my PC, which
    > makes sense me! But if I select "Make Movie" and try to render the
    > project to a DVD, it will only play on a DVD player, and not on my
    > PC, even though it has a DVD player and re-writer built in.
    > I've only just started using the DVD writer.
    > So far, I have tried several different setting combinations on
    > Studios 9, including VBR and CBR, different Bit Rates, Burn Speeds,
    > as well as outputting the project as Video CD and S-VCD.
    >
    > Cheers!

    I meant to ask what software came with the burner not what software are
    you using.

    J.

    The burner didnt come with any software, so I just tried to burn directly
    from Studio 9. I also tried Deepburner, but that was about a much use as
    tits on a fish.
    I have since downloaded Media Player 10, the Studio 9 patch and WinDVD.
    By some possible combination of these components, the DVD I created with
    Studio 9 now plays on my DVD player, and my PC through both Media Player and
    WinDVD.
    Seems I have solved it through luck more than judgement, but thanks for all
    your help anyway!!!
    If I get stuck again, I'll just as Jimmy! :o)

    greg spalding wrote:
    > The burner didnt come with any software, so I just tried to burn
    > directly from Studio 9. I also tried Deepburner, but that was about a
    > much use as tits on a fish.
    > I have since downloaded Media Player 10, the Studio 9 patch and
    > WinDVD. By some possible combination of these components, the DVD I
    > created
    > with Studio 9 now plays on my DVD player, and my PC through both
    > Media Player and WinDVD.
    > Seems I have solved it through luck more than judgement, but thanks
    > for all your help anyway!!!
    > If I get stuck again, I'll just as Jimmy! :o)

    I am glad you have everything working now. It might have been a Codec issue
    and by installing software that may have included such a Codec the problem
    has been solved. That is of course unless I am wrong ;) As for offering any
    real meaningful help I would consider myself on the bottom of the food chain
    and on rely on luck and whatever I can learn bit by bit every day. Good luck
    with your new endeavor.

    J.

    Also this might be of interest to you
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm