Remote Control applications

Hi there I wonder if anyone can give me some sensible advice on using RC for
machines running both Windows XP and 2000?
We are slowly moving away from Zen Works for Desktop which ran alongside
Windows 2000 and provided RC. We are now in the process of gradually
upgrading to Windows XP (long term) of which 60+ users are working quite
happily. Unfortunately we discovered that the Zen Works for Desktop does not
work on the XP machines as so am looking for an alternative and pretty soon
at that.

I have looked at Remote desktop for XP but correct me if I am wrong but...
1. It will only allow permission if the allow permissions has been selected
on each users PC.
2. We would need to know the users password
3. It locks the user out when we gain access to the machine (not much help
if I need them to show me what problems they are experiencing) I also looked
at Remote Assitance in XP but this was display only and did not allow 2 way
interaction.

I only need this to work within our own network but as we also RC from home
to our own PC's using GoToMyPC we would also need this to work without
complications.

So to round this tedious email off, can anyone recommend (apart from VNC
which i am currently looking at) any other RC applications that will meet my
criteria?

Many Thanks

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:46:53 -0000, "Nigel Bruce"
<nigel.bruce@stevens-bolton.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi there I wonder if anyone can give me some sensible advice on using RC for
>machines running both Windows XP and 2000?
>We are slowly moving away from Zen Works for Desktop which ran alongside
>Windows 2000 and provided RC. We are now in the process of gradually
>upgrading to Windows XP (long term) of which 60+ users are working quite
>happily. Unfortunately we discovered that the Zen Works for Desktop does not
>work on the XP machines as so am looking for an alternative and pretty soon
>at that.
>
>I have looked at Remote desktop for XP but correct me if I am wrong but...
>1. It will only allow permission if the allow permissions has been selected
>on each users PC.
>2. We would need to know the users password
>3. It locks the user out when we gain access to the machine (not much help
>if I need them to show me what problems they are experiencing) I also looked
>at Remote Assitance in XP but this was display only and did not allow 2 way
>interaction.
>
>I only need this to work within our own network but as we also RC from home
>to our own PC's using GoToMyPC we would also need this to work without
>complications.
>
>So to round this tedious email off, can anyone recommend (apart from VNC
>which i am currently looking at) any other RC applications that will meet my
>criteria?
>
>Many Thanks

Take a peek at Radmin, configure it to any port desired

http://www.radmin.com

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:25:19 -0500, "Shaun aka \"humpy\""
<rex@ioy.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:46:53 -0000, "Nigel Bruce"
><nigel.bruce@stevens-bolton.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi there I wonder if anyone can give me some sensible advice on using RC for
>>machines running both Windows XP and 2000?
>>We are slowly moving away from Zen Works for Desktop which ran alongside
>>Windows 2000 and provided RC. We are now in the process of gradually
>>upgrading to Windows XP (long term) of which 60+ users are working quite
>>happily. Unfortunately we discovered that the Zen Works for Desktop does not
>>work on the XP machines as so am looking for an alternative and pretty soon
>>at that.
>>
>>I have looked at Remote desktop for XP but correct me if I am wrong but...
>>1. It will only allow permission if the allow permissions has been selected
>>on each users PC.
>>2. We would need to know the users password
>>3. It locks the user out when we gain access to the machine (not much help
>>if I need them to show me what problems they are experiencing) I also looked
>>at Remote Assitance in XP but this was display only and did not allow 2 way
>>interaction.
>>
>>I only need this to work within our own network but as we also RC from home
>>to our own PC's using GoToMyPC we would also need this to work without
>>complications.
>>
>>So to round this tedious email off, can anyone recommend (apart from VNC
>>which i am currently looking at) any other RC applications that will meet my
>>criteria?
>>
>>Many Thanks
>

>Take a peek at Radmin, configure it to any port desired
>
>http://www.radmin.com

Update... Running RDC on a machine with radmin (r_server) will
lockout radmin connections until the host machine is rebooted..Just
for your info..Radmin doesnt like terminal services it seems.

http://www.radmin.com/support/forum/read.php?TID=8135&MID=16544