[SOLVED] IMac - Opinions Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
So, to put long story short. I am in need of a work computer. Of course PC was my first thought, until I received a call saying it must be a Mac. Not that I really minded, as I could use boot camp if need be. (I can use it, correct?)

I am through all that Mac vs. PC stuff. I don't care. All I want to know is the gaming performance on an iMac running win 7 through boot camp. I work at a place where I need to wait hours at the office doing nothing, and playing games was my only way of passing through the time. I now learn that I must use Mac and that all my PC games are gone, unless of course boot camp will work nicely for the iMac.

The iMac I will be getting is the 21.5 inch, 2.7 GHz core i5, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, and 6770m. The thing I am worried about is the 6770m gaming performance. I looked up some benchmarks and it seems to play my main source of gaming (Call of Duty series) just fine. I do not plan to play Crysis, BF3, or Metro. I will be light-med gaming. Nothing heavy.

Will this suit my needs? (Sorry if this is just a confusing list of words, little late here but really need an answer. Thanks!)

Solution
You should request a mac pro so you can gut it for some better hardware.

In all seriousness though, it should be fine. Heres some benchmarks:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

Note that in blackops you can easily get 50-60fps on high, 35 on ultra. You can also expect slightly better performance than many of the benchmarks since it's a mobile gpu most of these benchmarks are run on laptops and the imac has a desktop cpu, so you're faster in that respect.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
You should request a mac pro so you can gut it for some better hardware.

In all seriousness though, it should be fine. Heres some benchmarks:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

Note that in blackops you can easily get 50-60fps on high, 35 on ultra. You can also expect slightly better performance than many of the benchmarks since it's a mobile gpu most of these benchmarks are run on laptops and the imac has a desktop cpu, so you're faster in that respect.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.