PAL to NTSC Color becomes B/W

I am travelling from to USA for few weeks and in the hotel I am playing
my PAL camcorder (Panasonic) on an NTSC TV which is connected through a
VCR (both Philips). Every thing works well except that there are no
colors on the TV. Is it normal? Where are the colors?

On 1 Mar 2005 06:32:19 -0800, "Neeraj" <emailneeraj@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am travelling from to USA for few weeks and in the hotel I am playing
>my PAL camcorder (Panasonic) on an NTSC TV which is connected through a
>VCR (both Philips). Every thing works well except that there are no
>colors on the TV. Is it normal? Where are the colors?

The hotel TV only has an NTSC colour decoder, but your camcorder is
putting out a PAL colour signal.

The camcorder will have recorded OK, it's just that the TV cannot
decode the PAL colour.

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

Steve Roberts wrote:

>> I am travelling from to USA for few weeks and in the hotel I am
>> playing my PAL camcorder (Panasonic) on an NTSC TV which is
>> connected through a VCR (both Philips). Every thing works well
>> except that there are no colors on the TV. Is it normal? Where
>> are the colors?

> The hotel TV only has an NTSC colour decoder, but your camcorder
> is putting out a PAL colour signal. The camcorder will have
> recorded OK, it's just that the TV cannot decode the PAL colour.

What I find interesting in OP's article is that despite not decoding the
colors, the hotel tv set (apparently) still properly syncs to a 50 Hz
signal and 625-line raster...

The limited experience I have with genuine NTSC sets is that they tend
_not_ to sync to a 625/50 Hz signal at all.

--
znark

On 1 Mar 2005 06:32:19 -0800, "Neeraj" <emailneeraj@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am travelling from to USA for few weeks and in the hotel I am playing
>my PAL camcorder (Panasonic) on an NTSC TV which is connected through a
>VCR (both Philips). Every thing works well except that there are no
>colors on the TV. Is it normal?

Very normal. An NTSC TV is meant to display NTSC material, not a PAL
one. Feel yourself lucky that you can see it any way at all.

In Europe, most (if not all) devices can work both with NTSC and PAL,
but in the USA you rarely find something other than NTSC only.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Just today we set up an Avid for PAL editing. In the process we discovered that
with the normal NTSC reference signal we get black and white images. Once we
connected a PAL reference to the system we had color. But still a lot of flicker
on a Sony auto adjusting monitor. (meaning that the monitor automatically
switches between NTSC and Pal)
I'm wondering why all the flicker and will post that question.