Premiere Pro 1.0: green/black still images and re-importin..

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Green
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2005 9:50:34 AM

I have imported several PSD stills into my Premiere Pro 1.0 timeline. A
few of them look like a green or black solids when I export the video
to AVI.

I read in another forum that this is a known bug caused by (1)
importing too many PSD files at the same time, (2) dropping too many
files onto the timeline at the same time, (3) or something else related
to a memory leak/problem.

A workaround solution is to reduce the resolution of the PSD files to
720x480. This is not ideal because I like to pan/zoom some of the
photos. But I'm willing to try.

My question is the following: After I lower the resolution of the PSD
files on my computer, is there a way for Premiere Pro to automatically
update itself with these new files or will I have to re-import the PSD
files to Premiere Pro and then drop each image, one at a time, into my
timeline to replace each and every of the (hi-res) PSD files?

More about : premiere pro green black images importin

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:48:06 PM

<ThumperStrauss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have imported several PSD stills into my Premiere Pro 1.0 timeline. A
> few of them look like a green or black solids when I export the video
> to AVI.
>
> I read in another forum that this is a known bug caused by (1)
> importing too many PSD files at the same time, (2) dropping too many
> files onto the timeline at the same time, (3) or something else related
> to a memory leak/problem.
>
> A workaround solution is to reduce the resolution of the PSD files to
> 720x480. This is not ideal because I like to pan/zoom some of the
> photos. But I'm willing to try.
>
> My question is the following: After I lower the resolution of the PSD
> files on my computer, is there a way for Premiere Pro to automatically
> update itself with these new files or will I have to re-import the PSD
> files to Premiere Pro and then drop each image, one at a time, into my
> timeline to replace each and every of the (hi-res) PSD files?

Normally, Premiere will automatically update itself -- when you load in a
project, it first checks all the component files.

If you're not resizing the photographs in Premiere, i.e. they're just
static, no zoom in's, etc., then resizing in Photoshop is a potential
solution to this problem. You know, you can edit in Photoshop from the
Premiere timeline -- just right click the photograph and pick "edit in
original" or something similar (I don't recall the exact wording).

However, if you want to maintain the full resolution of the photographs, try
adding a white or black still to the video track above it and set opacity to
0%. This will force a re-render and, frequently, corrects the green/black
photo problem. Also, make sure you constrain your photo size to 4k x 4k
pixels, maximum -- Premiere won't handle larger. I've found that by
re-sizing my photographs to 2k x 2k pixels, I rarely get the green/black
photo problem.

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:58:38 PM

If you are not planning to do zooms and pans on all the stills using Batch
Processing could help eleviate this problem. By setting the general length
of a still image to the number of frames needed for the average still to be
diplayed, batch processing can create an AVI file of each of the stills for
you. Once you have done this arrange them on the timeline to suit your
needs, and then use the PSD files for those needing zooms and pans.

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

<ThumperStrauss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have imported several PSD stills into my Premiere Pro 1.0 timeline. A
> few of them look like a green or black solids when I export the video
> to AVI.
>
> I read in another forum that this is a known bug caused by (1)
> importing too many PSD files at the same time, (2) dropping too many
> files onto the timeline at the same time, (3) or something else related
> to a memory leak/problem.
>
> A workaround solution is to reduce the resolution of the PSD files to
> 720x480. This is not ideal because I like to pan/zoom some of the
> photos. But I'm willing to try.
>
> My question is the following: After I lower the resolution of the PSD
> files on my computer, is there a way for Premiere Pro to automatically
> update itself with these new files or will I have to re-import the PSD
> files to Premiere Pro and then drop each image, one at a time, into my
> timeline to replace each and every of the (hi-res) PSD files?

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:22:03 AM

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST
-----------------------

Based on the suggestions here, I tried the following:

1. First, I added a Black Video (opacity 0%) to the upper-most video
timeline. That had no effect. After about the 15 minute-mark of my 60
minute video, the still images began to appear as green or black.

2. Then I tried to output to AVI only a small part of the video--from
15:00 to 30:00. At first, the still images were appearing normally. But
after five minutes, the green/black problem came back. Must be a memory
problem, I thought.

3. Then I bit the bullet and went through the long process of reducing
the resolution of my images in Photoshop from about 2200px (wide) to
720px (wide). I followed the instructions of PTRAVEL above to:

(a) Right-click each image on the timeline
(b) Select Edit Original
(c) Change the image size in Photoshop (I created a macro with a
keyboard shortcut to do part c)

At first glance, Solution 3 seems to have worked! I took a quick look
at my AVI video this morning and all the stills appear to be there. (I
will watch the entire video more carefully later in real time to make
sure everything is okay.)

Strangely however, the *final* still image appeared as black! Talk
about bad luck. Could the memory problem have hit *just as* the movie
was ending? Maybe. I wasn't monitoring the computer at that point.
Anyway, I re-rendered the last part of the movie so now everything is
okay now.

Note: When I rendered to AVI, I turned off the Black Video (opacity 0%)
timeline.

Note: I did not reduce the resolution of *all* the image. I left alone
about 10 images, which I needed hi-res for my zooming/panning.

CONCLUSIONS
(A) I can't be sure, but I think the green/black image problem may
affect all images *after* I run out of RAM. (I have 1GB of DDR ram.)
Before implementing Solution 3, I would always see the XP message
telling me that it is increasing my virtual memory. Could it be that
everything up to that point in time renders fine, but everything after
renders as green/black?

(B) Others have speculated at the green/black bug happens if you drop
too many images into the timeline at once and/or if you import too many
images to the Premiere Pro image folder at once. Since was guilty of
both, I was worried that Solution 3 (above) would be a waste of time.

Yet, Solution 3 worked. I did *not* reimport the images to Premiere
Pro. Nor did I drop each image onto the timeline one-at-a-time. I
simply did "Edit Original" and reduced the resolution to 720px (wide).
So, perhaps this means that the "importing bug" is a red herrring.
Perhaps it's just a memory issue.

FINAL THOUGHTS
My advice to others is to use 720x540 resolution for photos. If you
have a few images that you want to pan/zoom, use your original
resolution. Good luck and thanks to all for their advice!
!