Recommendation - External Hard Drive

Since this group deals with huge files, I'll bet you know which external
hard drive to buy. My priority is reliabilty, I want one that doesn't
overheat as I have heard that is a problem with mahy external USB or
Firewire drives. I use Windows XP home.

Thank you.

Ule
10 answers Last reply
More about recommendation external hard drive

    We transfer Movies all day long we use

    http://www.xpcgear.com/fe740120gb.html

    works good for us until we get the gigabit network installed the only
    problem, is firewire a and b and usb 1.0 and 2.0 are both slow compared
    to a fast network

    but the drive works daily, 12 hours a day

    U. U. wrote:
    > Since this group deals with huge files, I'll bet you know which
    external
    > hard drive to buy. My priority is reliabilty, I want one that
    doesn't
    > overheat as I have heard that is a problem with mahy external USB or
    > Firewire drives. I use Windows XP home.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Ule

    I've been in the habit of buying inexpensive but good quality dual
    USB/firewire enclosures (with fans of course) and just inserting Maxtor
    or WD IDEE drives. Cheap solution and I've never had a problem with this
    system for DV editing.

    Moe Belli <moebelli@rogers.ca> wrote in news:CMOdney3A7nyZLnfRVn-
    gA@rogers.com:

    > I've been in the habit of buying inexpensive but good quality dual
    > USB/firewire enclosures (with fans of course) and just inserting Maxtor
    > or WD IDEE drives. Cheap solution and I've never had a problem with this
    > system for DV editing

    Where do you buy just the enclosures? Newegg or Tiger Direct? Or do you
    check Pricewatch.com?

    Secondly, when you insert the internal IDE's, do you have an IDE cable
    coming out of your box or do you have some sort of IDE/USB adapter?

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:56:14 GMT, "U. U." <uubonfig@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Since this group deals with huge files, I'll bet you know which external
    >hard drive to buy. My priority is reliabilty, I want one that doesn't
    >overheat as I have heard that is a problem with mahy external USB or
    >Firewire drives. I use Windows XP home.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >Ule

    I do not know where you have heard of externals overheating, but as
    long as you buy a reliable external case with a power supply and a
    fan, you should have no problems. I have used the MP-320 Series from
    Micro plus, inc. which has both a firewire and usb 2 connection and
    the case comes with all the needed hardware. If you use just usb 2
    they are a little cheaper. Best price on the web and the shipping
    costs are cheap for multi purchases. I have nothing to do with these
    people other than this is the most reasonable price and quality I have
    found. Even cheaper than Ebay without the shipping rip offs that
    Ebays has.

    http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500977

    How does the performance of these usb drives compare to ide? Do you
    tend to get more "skipped frames" when doing capture or is usb2 fast
    enough and no latency problems? I was thinking/hoping that this would
    be a nice out instead of putting another harddrive in the case.
    Currently my video data is all on the same drive as my software and
    honestly I can't say that I've experienced problems until I let it get
    like 90% full.

    Tks
    don

    "don" <nospam@wtez.net> wrote in message
    > How does the performance of these usb drives compare to ide? Do you tend
    > to get more "skipped frames" when doing capture or is usb2 fast enough
    > and no latency problems? I was thinking/hoping that this would be a nice
    > out instead of putting another harddrive in the case. Currently my video
    > data is all on the same drive as my software and honestly I can't say
    > that I've experienced problems until I let it get like 90% full.

    I have an external drive (Maxtor 250 GB) in generic case with fan. I get no
    dropped frames using either fire-wire or USB2. I use smaller external
    drives (120 GB) formatted for Mac (I use PC in my studio) to archive
    projects completed by my editor on FCP. That means that I can go back to
    the project and implement changes/updates without reloading any media. Just
    pick up the project on the time-line, where we left off. Although I haven't
    tried this, I intend to format an external drive on the PC, then see if the
    MAC will read and write to it. I'm told that it will work seamlessly. That
    gives me the option of convenient access on my PCs to common file types
    (AVI/MPEG/AIFF) saved on the drive by my editor.

    Steve King

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:23:30 GMT, Moe Hair <mohair@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Moe Belli <moebelli@rogers.ca> wrote in news:CMOdney3A7nyZLnfRVn-
    >gA@rogers.com:
    >
    >> I've been in the habit of buying inexpensive but good quality dual
    >> USB/firewire enclosures (with fans of course) and just inserting Maxtor
    >> or WD IDEE drives. Cheap solution and I've never had a problem with this
    >> system for DV editing
    >
    >Where do you buy just the enclosures? Newegg or Tiger Direct? Or do you
    >check Pricewatch.com?

    Here's one place; Outpost.com is Frys Electronics online precence:
    http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BQiY59qHwjuBKoBx8rpsJo1j4ahwTls16XCUaSWDMbcLOqQ6QbpTc|-8485414304048778876/184095273/6/7001/7001/7002/7002/7001/-1|-5037127543899519873/184095272/6/7001/7001/7002/7002/7001/-1|1109801462320%7D/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=external+hard+drive+enclosures&cat=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0
    or:
    http://tinyurl.com/5d2la

    >Secondly, when you insert the internal IDE's, do you have an IDE cable
    >coming out of your box or do you have some sort of IDE/USB adapter?

    The external case will have either/or both USB 2.0 and Firewire ports.
    The drive case will have an IDE connector and a power connector to
    plug into the drive. The case (for 3.5" drives) will also have a power
    supply included.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:13:58 -0700, Big Bill <bill@pipping.com> wrote:

    >The external case will have either/or both USB 2.0 and Firewire ports.
    >The drive case will have an IDE connector and a power connector to
    >plug into the drive. The case (for 3.5" drives) will also have a power
    >supply included.

    Also note that some cases have the supply built in and the AC power
    plugs directly into them, while others have wall-warts or inline power
    supplies and a jack that plugs into the case. Depending on your app,
    you may want one or the other.

    don <nospam@wtez.net> wrote in news:38m6c3F5pu084U1@individual.net:

    > How does the performance of these usb drives compare to ide? Do you
    > tend to get more "skipped frames" when doing capture or is usb2 fast
    > enough and no latency problems? I was thinking/hoping that this would
    > be a nice out instead of putting another harddrive in the case.
    > Currently my video data is all on the same drive as my software and
    > honestly I can't say that I've experienced problems until I let it get
    > like 90% full.

    I bought an 80 gig Maxtor about 2 years ago and never had a problem with
    it. It's not as fast as an IDE drive of course, but it serves the purpose.
    This is a fantastic thread. I never thought of buying the enclosure with
    an internal IDE! Basically, it's the same thing that Maxtor is doing.

    For $30, I could have the case, and for another $65 or so after rebate, I
    could have a 200 gig internal Western or Seagate IDE drive converted into a
    portable external drive. $95 for all that portable storage! What's the
    point of burning CD or DVD backups! It's much easier to search and catalog
    hard drives.

    Kudos to Moe Belli!

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:03:05 GMT, Moe Hair <mohair@nospam.com> wrote:

    >don <nospam@wtez.net> wrote in news:38m6c3F5pu084U1@individual.net:
    >
    >> How does the performance of these usb drives compare to ide? Do you
    >> tend to get more "skipped frames" when doing capture or is usb2 fast
    >> enough and no latency problems? I was thinking/hoping that this would
    >> be a nice out instead of putting another harddrive in the case.
    >> Currently my video data is all on the same drive as my software and
    >> honestly I can't say that I've experienced problems until I let it get
    >> like 90% full.
    >
    >I bought an 80 gig Maxtor about 2 years ago and never had a problem with
    >it. It's not as fast as an IDE drive of course, but it serves the purpose.
    >This is a fantastic thread. I never thought of buying the enclosure with
    >an internal IDE! Basically, it's the same thing that Maxtor is doing.
    >
    >For $30, I could have the case, and for another $65 or so after rebate, I
    >could have a 200 gig internal Western or Seagate IDE drive converted into a
    >portable external drive. $95 for all that portable storage! What's the
    >point of burning CD or DVD backups! It's much easier to search and catalog
    >hard drives.

    If you can handle the assembly, which is no harder than putting in
    an internal drive (maybe even easier), this is the way to do it. The
    drives themselves are very cheap, and the enclosures aren't expensive
    either.

    USB2 or Firewire speed is almost as fast as an internal drive. The
    speed of the interface is faster than the drive itself, so the only
    other issue is whatever overhead the system imposes for the interface.
    In any case, it is way faster than what DV capture requires, which is
    all that matters.

Tuner Cards External Hard Drive Graphics