VPN VERSUS REMOTE DESKTOP

WINDOWS XP ON ALL COMPUTERS AT OFFICE AND HOME.LINKSYS ROUTER WRT54 G ON BOTH
NETWORK. ABLE TO ESTABLISH VPN CONN. BUT IF I CLOSE PORT 3389 ON THE SERVER
WONT COMM. WITH RDC. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT'S USING THE VPN CONN OR REGULAR ISP
2 answers Last reply
More about versus remote desktop

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:05:02 -0800, "tano" <mgonza6519@aol.com> wrote:

    >WINDOWS XP ON ALL COMPUTERS AT OFFICE AND HOME.LINKSYS ROUTER WRT54 G ON BOTH
    >NETWORK. ABLE TO ESTABLISH VPN CONN. BUT IF I CLOSE PORT 3389 ON THE SERVER
    >WONT COMM. WITH RDC. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT'S USING THE VPN CONN OR REGULAR ISP

    I'm not quite sure what you're asking but, you can change the
    listening port (3389) in the registry for rdc, maybe that will help
    you . Are you using 1723 for vpn ? You can also log your port
    activity....

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837243

    You are using the VPN when you specify a private IP address or
    non-internet routable computer name.
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

    Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    MS Network Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    MS Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:05:02 -0800, "tano" <mgonza6519@aol.com> wrote:

    >WINDOWS XP ON ALL COMPUTERS AT OFFICE AND HOME.LINKSYS ROUTER WRT54 G ON BOTH
    >NETWORK. ABLE TO ESTABLISH VPN CONN. BUT IF I CLOSE PORT 3389 ON THE SERVER
    >WONT COMM. WITH RDC. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT'S USING THE VPN CONN OR REGULAR ISP

Remote Desktop Internet Service Providers vpn Windows XP