VPN VERSUS REMOTE DESKTOP

February 14, 2005 9:05:02 PM

WINDOWS XP ON ALL COMPUTERS AT OFFICE AND HOME.LINKSYS ROUTER WRT54 G ON BOTH
NETWORK. ABLE TO ESTABLISH VPN CONN. BUT IF I CLOSE PORT 3389 ON THE SERVER
WONT COMM. WITH RDC. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT'S USING THE VPN CONN OR REGULAR ISP
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:58:39 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:05:02 -0800, "tano" <mgonza6519@aol.com> wrote:

>WINDOWS XP ON ALL COMPUTERS AT OFFICE AND HOME.LINKSYS ROUTER WRT54 G ON BOTH
>NETWORK. ABLE TO ESTABLISH VPN CONN. BUT IF I CLOSE PORT 3389 ON THE SERVER
>WONT COMM. WITH RDC. HOW DO I KNOW IF IT'S USING THE VPN CONN OR REGULAR ISP

I'm not quite sure what you're asking but, you can change the
listening port (3389) in the registry for rdc, maybe that will help
you . Are you using 1723 for vpn ? You can also log your port
activity....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306759

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837243
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:12:13 PM

You are using the VPN when you specify a private IP address or
non-internet routable computer name.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -