Cannot connect remotely anymore after XP SP2 install

February 15, 2005 11:11:07 AM

Up 'til recently, I have been able to access two different remote Windows
Servers through Remote Desktop off of my Windows XP Home edition with SP1.
Both remote servers are running Windows 2000 Server Version 5.0 (Build 2195:
SP4). Recently, I upgrade my XP Home to Sp2: Version 5.1 (Build
2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:SP2). Now I can't access one of the remote
servers, although I am confident nothing has changed with either remote
server, or my computer, other than the XP SP2 upgrade.

I have applied an exception to the Windows XP Firewall to open the port for
the Remote Desktop program, and also even tried shutting off the XP Firewall
altogether. Neither of these two tactics worked. I keep getting the
following error message when I try to connect to the one remote server; "The
remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing
protocol."

Note that there are other users that connect to both of the remote servers
without any problems, but they are either using Windows 2000 PRO, or XP Pro.
I can even connect to either remote server using my login and password from
other's computers, but my computer won't even get me to the log-on screen.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Red
Anonymous

=?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEJhcm9u?= <RedBaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Up 'til recently, I have been able to access two different remote
> Windows Servers through Remote Desktop off of my Windows XP Home edition
> with SP1. Both remote servers are running Windows 2000 Server Version
> 5.0 (Build 2195: SP4). Recently, I upgrade my XP Home to Sp2: Version
> 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:SP2). Now I can't access one
> of the remote servers, although I am confident nothing has changed with
> either remote server, or my computer, other than the XP SP2 upgrade.
>
> I have applied an exception to the Windows XP Firewall to open the port
> for the Remote Desktop program, and also even tried shutting off the XP
> Firewall altogether. Neither of these two tactics worked. I keep
> getting the following error message when I try to connect to the one
> remote server; "The remote computer disconnected the session because of
> an error in the licensing protocol."
>
> Note that there are other users that connect to both of the remote
> servers without any problems, but they are either using Windows 2000
> PRO, or XP Pro. I can even connect to either remote server using my
> login and password from other's computers, but my computer won't even
> get me to the log-on screen.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

windows firewall!!!!! TURN IT OFF...TURN IT OFF!!!!!
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:20:36 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:17:56 -0600, Smowk <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote:

>=?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEJhcm9u?= <RedBaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
>> Up 'til recently, I have been able to access two different remote
>> Windows Servers through Remote Desktop off of my Windows XP Home edition
>> with SP1. Both remote servers are running Windows 2000 Server Version
>> 5.0 (Build 2195: SP4). Recently, I upgrade my XP Home to Sp2: Version
>> 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:SP2). Now I can't access one
>> of the remote servers, although I am confident nothing has changed with
>> either remote server, or my computer, other than the XP SP2 upgrade.
>>
>> I have applied an exception to the Windows XP Firewall to open the port
>> for the Remote Desktop program, and also even tried shutting off the XP
>> Firewall altogether. Neither of these two tactics worked. I keep
>> getting the following error message when I try to connect to the one
>> remote server; "The remote computer disconnected the session because of
>> an error in the licensing protocol."
>>
>> Note that there are other users that connect to both of the remote
>> servers without any problems, but they are either using Windows 2000
>> PRO, or XP Pro. I can even connect to either remote server using my
>> login and password from other's computers, but my computer won't even
>> get me to the log-on screen.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
>windows firewall!!!!! TURN IT OFF...TURN IT OFF!!!!!

Even off, Remote desktop service needs to be checked under windows
firewall---> advanced tab--->settings---->advanced settings...
February 15, 2005 7:35:49 PM

=?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEJhcm9u?= <RedBaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Up 'til recently, I have been able to access two different remote
> Windows Servers through Remote Desktop off of my Windows XP Home edition
> with SP1. Both remote servers are running Windows 2000 Server Version
> 5.0 (Build 2195: SP4). Recently, I upgrade my XP Home to Sp2: Version
> 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:SP2). Now I can't access one
> of the remote servers, although I am confident nothing has changed with
> either remote server, or my computer, other than the XP SP2 upgrade.
>
> I have applied an exception to the Windows XP Firewall to open the port
> for the Remote Desktop program, and also even tried shutting off the XP
> Firewall altogether. Neither of these two tactics worked. I keep
> getting the following error message when I try to connect to the one
> remote server; "The remote computer disconnected the session because of
> an error in the licensing protocol."
>
> Note that there are other users that connect to both of the remote
> servers without any problems, but they are either using Windows 2000
> PRO, or XP Pro. I can even connect to either remote server using my
> login and password from other's computers, but my computer won't even
> get me to the log-on screen.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

oops...after actually reading what you posted, i think it has to do with
Terminal Services CAL (client access license). Only 2 people can be logged
in at once (not including the console sesseion) to a windows 2000 terminal
server without any additional licenses. Try it later on at night, when
nobody else would be using it, or look into getting some more licenses.

Smowk
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:01:06 AM

Thanks, Smowk.

I thought about that already. Both W2K servers have 5 CALs and have at
usually three to four people connected simultaneously during the day. Also,
as mentioned, I was able to use RDP from the WIN XP Home computer up until I
upgraded it to SP2. Now, one of the W2K servers still accepts the RDP
session from the XP Home, and the other now doesn't. I think Microsoft
should change their name to FIAT (Fix It Again Tony)!!!

"Smowk" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEJhcm9u?= <RedBaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Up 'til recently, I have been able to access two different remote
> > Windows Servers through Remote Desktop off of my Windows XP Home edition
> > with SP1. Both remote servers are running Windows 2000 Server Version
> > 5.0 (Build 2195: SP4). Recently, I upgrade my XP Home to Sp2: Version
> > 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:SP2). Now I can't access one
> > of the remote servers, although I am confident nothing has changed with
> > either remote server, or my computer, other than the XP SP2 upgrade.
> >
> > I have applied an exception to the Windows XP Firewall to open the port
> > for the Remote Desktop program, and also even tried shutting off the XP
> > Firewall altogether. Neither of these two tactics worked. I keep
> > getting the following error message when I try to connect to the one
> > remote server; "The remote computer disconnected the session because of
> > an error in the licensing protocol."
> >
> > Note that there are other users that connect to both of the remote
> > servers without any problems, but they are either using Windows 2000
> > PRO, or XP Pro. I can even connect to either remote server using my
> > login and password from other's computers, but my computer won't even
> > get me to the log-on screen.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> oops...after actually reading what you posted, i think it has to do with
> Terminal Services CAL (client access license). Only 2 people can be logged
> in at once (not including the console sesseion) to a windows 2000 terminal
> server without any additional licenses. Try it later on at night, when
> nobody else would be using it, or look into getting some more licenses.
>
> Smowk

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:09:20 PM

Remember, once you connect with a computer, it pulls one of your CALs
(at least after the grace period). Since you are using XP Home w/
Win2K TS, you are not "comp'ed" a CAL (only Pro machines are comped a
TSCAL with Win2K TS)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:01:06 -0800, Red Baron
<RedBaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Smowk.
>
>I thought about that already. Both W2K servers have 5 CALs and have at
>usually three to four people connected simultaneously during the day. Also,
>as mentioned, I was able to use RDP from the WIN XP Home computer up until I
>upgraded it to SP2. Now, one of the W2K servers still accepts the RDP
>session from the XP Home, and the other now doesn't. I think Microsoft
>should change their name to FIAT (Fix It Again Tony)!!!
>
>"Smowk" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?UmVkIEJhcm9u?= <RedBaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Up 'til recently, I have been able to access two different remote
>> > Windows Servers through Remote Desktop off of my Windows XP Home edition
>> > with SP1. Both remote servers are running Windows 2000 Server Version
>> > 5.0 (Build 2195: SP4). Recently, I upgrade my XP Home to Sp2: Version
>> > 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:SP2). Now I can't access one
>> > of the remote servers, although I am confident nothing has changed with
>> > either remote server, or my computer, other than the XP SP2 upgrade.
>> >
>> > I have applied an exception to the Windows XP Firewall to open the port
>> > for the Remote Desktop program, and also even tried shutting off the XP
>> > Firewall altogether. Neither of these two tactics worked. I keep
>> > getting the following error message when I try to connect to the one
>> > remote server; "The remote computer disconnected the session because of
>> > an error in the licensing protocol."
>> >
>> > Note that there are other users that connect to both of the remote
>> > servers without any problems, but they are either using Windows 2000
>> > PRO, or XP Pro. I can even connect to either remote server using my
>> > login and password from other's computers, but my computer won't even
>> > get me to the log-on screen.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> oops...after actually reading what you posted, i think it has to do with
>> Terminal Services CAL (client access license). Only 2 people can be logged
>> in at once (not including the console sesseion) to a windows 2000 terminal
>> server without any additional licenses. Try it later on at night, when
>> nobody else would be using it, or look into getting some more licenses.
>>
>> Smowk

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:19:06 AM

Thank you, Jeffrey. I think that you may have hit the nail on the head!

!