how to get wireless LAN to work

I've set up a router so my desktop and laptop can share the same broadband
cable access. This is working well. No problems.

I've tried to set up a wireless LAN between both systems. I've followed all
the directions. I can see where they are set up on both sides. BUT they do
not recognize each other for some reason. All I want to do is:
1) share files and
2) sync my Outlook contacts and calendar.

I keep seeing the message that a network cable is unplugged. But everything
on my pc that needs to be plugged in - is plugged in. And - again - my
wireless connectivity seems to be working well.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless work

    Try turning off the firewall
    Set all of them the same workgroup/domain
    Install/enable "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks"

    I do have the same experience with the error of "Network cable unplugged".
    I install another network card into the pc and the problem seems solved even
    this is not a good idea.

    "joybygrace" wrote:

    > I've set up a router so my desktop and laptop can share the same broadband
    > cable access. This is working well. No problems.
    >
    > I've tried to set up a wireless LAN between both systems. I've followed all
    > the directions. I can see where they are set up on both sides. BUT they do
    > not recognize each other for some reason. All I want to do is:
    > 1) share files and
    > 2) sync my Outlook contacts and calendar.
    >
    > I keep seeing the message that a network cable is unplugged. But everything
    > on my pc that needs to be plugged in - is plugged in. And - again - my
    > wireless connectivity seems to be working well.

    Hi
    You can find a set of Wireless Cable/DSL Router and Wireless Client card
    starting at less than $30 (Sale rebate etc.).
    You connect one computer to the Router with a Wire the laptop with Wireless
    configure and enjoy.
    The following pages might help you in your voyage.
    Connection Diagram With Cable/DSL Router:
    http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg
    Installing Network: http://www.ezlan.net/installing.html
    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Cable/DSL Internet authentication (password). -
    http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "joybygrace" <joybygrace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've set up a router so my desktop and laptop can share the same broadband
    > cable access. This is working well. No problems.
    >
    > I've tried to set up a wireless LAN between both systems. I've followed
    all
    > the directions. I can see where they are set up on both sides. BUT they do
    > not recognize each other for some reason. All I want to do is:
    > 1) share files and
    > 2) sync my Outlook contacts and calendar.
    >
    > I keep seeing the message that a network cable is unplugged. But
    everything
    > on my pc that needs to be plugged in - is plugged in. And - again - my
    > wireless connectivity seems to be working well.

    I have the same problem but can access the laptop from the main computer but
    not vice a versa. Says I do not have permission but I thought I checked all
    of the settings but I must have missed something.

    "Anthony" wrote:

    > Try turning off the firewall
    > Set all of them the same workgroup/domain
    > Install/enable "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    >
    > I do have the same experience with the error of "Network cable unplugged".
    > I install another network card into the pc and the problem seems solved even
    > this is not a good idea.
    >
    > "joybygrace" wrote:
    >
    > > I've set up a router so my desktop and laptop can share the same broadband
    > > cable access. This is working well. No problems.
    > >
    > > I've tried to set up a wireless LAN between both systems. I've followed all
    > > the directions. I can see where they are set up on both sides. BUT they do
    > > not recognize each other for some reason. All I want to do is:
    > > 1) share files and
    > > 2) sync my Outlook contacts and calendar.
    > >
    > > I keep seeing the message that a network cable is unplugged. But everything
    > > on my pc that needs to be plugged in - is plugged in. And - again - my
    > > wireless connectivity seems to be working well.

Wireless Lan Wireless Networking