Is there a remote control tool which works with firewalls ..

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls and routers
between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less as possible
configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).

Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel software explicitely.

Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer these features?

Lars

LarsWill@email.com (Lars Willich) wrote in

> I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are
> firewalls and routers between the local and the remote machine. At least
> there should be as less as possible configurations necessary (e.g. NAT
> port translation,...).
>
> Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel
> software explicitely.
>
> Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer
> these features?
>
> Lars

forward the port (3389 for RDP) to the local pc in the router/firewall?

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:00:37 +0100, LarsWill@email.com (Lars Willich) wrote:

>I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls and routers
>between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less as possible
>configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>
>Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel software explicitely.
>
>Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer these features?
>
>Lars

*way* too high - if it worked it'd only be because of flaming incompetence at
the far end.

there's no magic to this. whether VNC, Remote Desktop, PCanywhere, whatever:
if there's a firewall appliance or app between client and server end nodes,
you need to punch holes in it - or exploit existing holes; if there's a
router, you need to explicitly manage application port traffic through said
router - or again, exploit an existing rule...

/daytripper

"Lars Willich" <LarsWill@email.com> wrote in message
> I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls
and routers

Many (almost all) of them do.

Telnet, Remote Desktop, Terminal Services etc.

> between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less
as possible
> configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).

You will ALWAYS have to configure a firewall IF it is
doing it's job.

Same for the NAT due to its nature.

Many NATs and almost all Firewalls allow this.

> Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel
software explicitely.

You don't usually.

It uses some term such as "Port mapping", "address mapping"
"port triggering", "Port forwarding", "service definitions". etc.

> Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer
these features?

The issue is the FIREWALL, more than the tool.

Joe

Lars Willich wrote:
> I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls and routers
> between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less as possible
> configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>
> Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel software explicitely.
>
> Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer these features?
>
> Lars

just enable the remote desktop in win xp and set up in the router to
port forward port 3389 to the pc. yer done.

https://www.gotomypc.com/

--
William Tasso

In article <cuu5vl$ffa$01$1@news.t-online.com>, LarsWill@email.com
(Lars Willich) wrote:
>I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls and routers
>between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less as possible
>configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>
>Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel software explicitely.
>
>Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer these features?
>
>Lars

An expensive possibility is to use GoToMyPC:

http://www.gotomypc.com
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:00:37 +0100, *email_address_deleted* (Lars Willich)
wrote:

>I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls and routers
>between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less as possible
>configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>
>Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel software explicitely.
>
>Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer these features?
>
>Lars

Lars,

Is your problem that both the remote computer (the one you want to access), and
the local computer (the one you want to access from) both have problem routers?
Or is the problem for you, as it was for me, that configuring the remote
computer is a problem, even though you can access and configure your local
computer and router OK?

If the latter, what you need is to setup a Listening Viewer on your local
computer, and have the remote computer connect its server to your listening
viewer. In effect, even though the remote computer is the server (provides the
desktop to be controlled), the router on the remote computer doesn't need any
forwarded ports. Your local computer is accessed, as if it's a server, by the
remote computer.

With RealVNC, I setup two shortcuts on the remote computer, one to start the
server, and the second to connect the server to my listening viewer. No
forwarded ports, or any other tweaks, to the remote router.

I have to forward the RealVNC Listening Viewer port (I'm not using 5500 either)
to my local computer, but I only start my Listening Viewer when I'm going to be
controlling the remote desktop. At other times, the forwarded port goes
nowhere. So no security problem there either.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

I use UltraVNC (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/) with the RC4 DSM
Plugin for encryption.
It has support for file transfer and chat.
Of cause you have to configure the hosts firewall for incoming VNC
connections. But i think thats necesary for any remot control applications.

I add to that by using UltraVNC through a SSH tunnel. Easy to setup and you only need one hole
punched through the firewall. Plus the data link is encrypted from start to finish...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"David Carlsson" <dacaatREMOVE@homeTHIS.se> wrote in message
>I use UltraVNC (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/) with the RC4 DSM Plugin for encryption.
> It has support for file transfer and chat.
> Of cause you have to configure the hosts firewall for incoming VNC connections. But i think thats
> necesary for any remot control applications.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> >I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are
firewalls and routers
> >between the local and the remote machine.

> An expensive possibility is to use GoToMyPC:
> http://www.gotomypc.com

WebEx came out with a remote tool last month called MyWebExPC
(www.mywebexpc.com). It's similar to GoToMyPC, but is free.

- Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

"Lars Willich" <LarsWill@email.com> wrote in message
> I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls
and routers
> between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less
as possible
> configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>
> Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel
software explicitely.

> Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer
these features?

> Lars

Firewalls are designed to keep out intruders. If your firewall allowed
remote control signals to pass through all by themselves, without any
configuration, then it would not be doing its job!

Tools such as Remote Desktop or WinVNC will work very nicely
with properly configured firewalls and routers.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Plus if you run remote control applications like Remote Desktop or VNC through a SSH tunnel you only
need to punch one hole in the firewall/NAT and the data stream/tunnel is encrypted from start to
finish...

--

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message news:ugaUqh9EFHA.3404@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Lars Willich" <LarsWill@email.com> wrote in message
>> I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls
> and routers
>> between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less
> as possible
>> configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>>
>> Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel
> software explicitely.
>>
>> Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer
> these features?
>>
>> Lars
>
> Firewalls are designed to keep out intruders. If your firewall allowed
> remote control signals to pass through all by themselves, without any
> configuration, then it would not be doing its job!
>
> Tools such as Remote Desktop or WinVNC will work very nicely
> with properly configured firewalls and routers.

Fran

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Where can I get information on creating the SSH tunnel you refer to?
I'm trying to do remote admin work on different branch LAN's and RDP
is great but by itself it's not secure.

-Fran-

>Plus if you run remote control applications like Remote Desktop or VNC through a SSH tunnel you only
>need to punch one hole in the firewall/NAT and the data stream/tunnel is encrypted from start to
>finish...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Well, actually RDP is encrypted. With that said I still run RDP, and VNC which is not natively
encrypted, through a SSH tunnel...

I use this SSH server on my machines...Make note of the directions on how to setup the password and
group files...

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

For VNC I use PuTTY to establish the SSH tunnel then use the vncviewer program addressed to
"localhost:1" to actually establish the VNC session..

For RDP through a SSH tunnel look at this page...

http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/SSHTunnelRDP.htm

If your running XP SP2 you may need to install this patch...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020

In my case even installing the patch caused a failure logging on with RDP using the 127.0.0.2
address. I changed the script from "127.0.0.2" to "localhost" in two places at the end. Then it
worked for me...

--

"Fran" < @> wrote in message
> Where can I get information on creating the SSH tunnel you refer to?
> I'm trying to do remote admin work on different branch LAN's and RDP
> is great but by itself it's not secure.

SSH is fine, but you have to add software on both
client and server to use it.

Terminal Services and VPNs are already built-into
the Windows products.

(VPNs even for NT workstations, and TS starting
with Win2000 server and RDP for XP.)

For SSH software Google:

[ win32 | windows ssh download 2000 | 2003 | xp ]

There is this at SourceForge.net (free, opensource software
even for Windows):
http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/download.php

PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty
PuTTY: A Free Telnet/SSH Client. PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet
and SSH for Win32 and Unix platforms, along with an xterm terminal emulator.
It is written and maintained primarily by Simon Tatham.

Free SSH and SCP for Windows 9x, NT, ME, 2000 and XP
http://www.jfitz.com/tips/ssh_for_windows.html
.... Free SSH and SCP for ... this document useful. It describes free SSH
implementations for Windows. ... and Authorized Keys, applies to any SSH
implementation, regardless of the platform

OpenSSH on Windows
http://www.networksimplicity.com/openssh
.... Cygwin was too much overhead for just wanting SSH functionality ... on
that explains one cool use of SSH on Windows ... Having an ssh server on
Windows has proved to be ...
http://www.networksimplicity.com...

Securing X-Win32 Sessions with SSH: HOWTO
http://jamesthornton.com/writing/x-win32-ssh-howto.html
James Thornton. Web jamesthornton.com. Internet Business Consultant.
Securing X-Win32 Sessions with SSH: HOWTO. Summary: Explains how to set up
SSH and X-Win32 to secure X-Win32 sessions. Configure X-Win32 ... Open SSH:
click...

--
Herb Martin

> -Fran-
>

> >Plus if you run remote control applications like Remote Desktop or VNC
through a SSH tunnel you only
> >need to punch one hole in the firewall/NAT and the data stream/tunnel is
encrypted from start to
> >finish...

jw

to my knowledge, the firewall which requires the least knowledge of
ports and configuration tweaking is ZoneAlarm Pro. with ZoneAlarm, you
do not need to know port numbers. just simply choose Allow under the
column labeled Server Settings, on the line with your desired
application (whether Remote Desktop, Win/MSN Messenger, IIS for your
Web/FTP server, or whatever).

as indicated by the other responses, you have to break out a book and
start reading (or post messages asking for help) in order to figure out
proper port numbers (for Remote Desktop, Win/MSN Messenger, IIS for your
Web/FTP server, etc.), if you are using a hardware router/NAT device.

Lars Willich wrote:
> I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are firewalls and routers
> between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as less as possible
> configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>
> Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate tunnel software explicitely.
>
> Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer these features?
>
> Lars

jw

p.s.
on the other hand,
there's a lot to be learned from breaking out a book and reading it.
you only cheat yourself by looking for ways to avoid it.

JW wrote:
> to my knowledge, the firewall which requires the least knowledge of
> ports and configuration tweaking is ZoneAlarm Pro. with ZoneAlarm, you
> do not need to know port numbers. just simply choose Allow under the
> column labeled Server Settings, on the line with your desired
> application (whether Remote Desktop, Win/MSN Messenger, IIS for your
> Web/FTP server, or whatever).
>
> as indicated by the other responses, you have to break out a book and
> start reading (or post messages asking for help) in order to figure out
> proper port numbers (for Remote Desktop, Win/MSN Messenger, IIS for your
> Web/FTP server, etc.), if you are using a hardware router/NAT device.
>

> Lars Willich wrote:
>
>> I need a remote control tool which works regardless if there are
>> firewalls and routers
>> between the local and the remote machine. At least there should be as
>> less as possible
>> configurations necessary (e.g. NAT port translation,...).
>>
>> Firewalls should be tunneled without having to install a separate
>> tunnel software explicitely.
>>
>> Are the requirements to high or are there any (VNC) tools which offer
>> these features?
>>
>> Lars

I use UltraVNC (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/) with the RC4 DSM
Plugin for encryption.
It has support for file transfer and chat.
Of cause you have to configure the hosts firewall for incoming VNC
connections. But i think thats necesary for any remot control applications.

UGH! Good luck! :)

Well, all is not lost. There are tools, but they aren't free, and they
would require default ports to be open. Most use port 80 (HTTP)
because they are usually open on most networks (provided your not using
Proxy Servers and then there is a whole new can of worms to sort
through).

Webex is one that comes to mind, it works really well, and then Citrix
has just purchased GoToMyPC and I think it will tunnel over HTTP if
configured to do so.

There are also some things you could do with SSH tunneling, but that
would get complicated (fun, but complicated).

I think I have read somewhere that people have successfully used both
VNC and PC Anywhere via port 80 as well, but I may be mixing that up.

Most if not all of these products require a "server" and "Client"
communication model, meaning that you would initiate the "connection",
the client would approve it and release control of the host/etc.

Good Luck! HTH

Smooter

rg

Chuck any details on how to do what you are talking about. any documentation
of steps will be nice

e/pop Web Conferencing - http://www.wiredred.com