Another Remote Connection with Router issue

a b D Laptop
February 17, 2005 12:19:04 AM

SOrry to post another one of these - but I have been reading the current
postings for weeks and I have tried EVERYTHING.
Here's my setup:
I have 2 computers on my home wireless network, my desktop "desktop"
(Creative I know) and my laptop "sony laptop". My laptop is connected to the
network via a Lindsy's Router which is hooked up to the desktop.
I am trying to connect to my work computer thru remote desktop using a VPN
connection.
When I connect the VPN it connects immediatly, then I go to the remote
connection and it times out. If I connect the laptop directly to the ISP
bypassing the Router all together, the VPN connects and the remote connection
connects also!!
I have tried all sorts of port range forwarding, port triggering that the
support people have suggested and nothing works.
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 3:56:44 PM

How are you attempting to connect? via name or private IP address?
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:19:04 -0800, n1k
<n1k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>SOrry to post another one of these - but I have been reading the current
>postings for weeks and I have tried EVERYTHING.
>Here's my setup:
> I have 2 computers on my home wireless network, my desktop "desktop"
>(Creative I know) and my laptop "sony laptop". My laptop is connected to the
>network via a Lindsy's Router which is hooked up to the desktop.
>I am trying to connect to my work computer thru remote desktop using a VPN
>connection.
>When I connect the VPN it connects immediatly, then I go to the remote
>connection and it times out. If I connect the laptop directly to the ISP
>bypassing the Router all together, the VPN connects and the remote connection
>connects also!!
>I have tried all sorts of port range forwarding, port triggering that the
>support people have suggested and nothing works.
>PLEASE HELP!!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 18, 2005 10:27:02 PM

Hmmm - Since I am not real good with this stuff, slowly learning........
Do you mean how do I log in to the VPN? I use a user ID and password. The
properties of the VPN connection are using the IP address of the server at
work. But as I mentioned before, the VPN connects successfully.....As for
the remote networking connection once the VPN is connected, I use the
computer name r01. I have also tried the IP address....still the same result.

Thanks for helping me with this.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> How are you attempting to connect? via name or private IP address?
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
>
> Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
> MS Network Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
> MS Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
>
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:19:04 -0800, n1k
> <n1k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >SOrry to post another one of these - but I have been reading the current
> >postings for weeks and I have tried EVERYTHING.
> >Here's my setup:
> > I have 2 computers on my home wireless network, my desktop "desktop"
> >(Creative I know) and my laptop "sony laptop". My laptop is connected to the
> >network via a Lindsy's Router which is hooked up to the desktop.
> >I am trying to connect to my work computer thru remote desktop using a VPN
> >connection.
> >When I connect the VPN it connects immediatly, then I go to the remote
> >connection and it times out. If I connect the laptop directly to the ISP
> >bypassing the Router all together, the VPN connects and the remote connection
> >connects also!!
> >I have tried all sorts of port range forwarding, port triggering that the
> >support people have suggested and nothing works.
> >PLEASE HELP!!!!

a b D Laptop
February 19, 2005 3:54:49 PM

Check out the information regarding MTU settings.

Also, make sure your router's firmware is updated; refer to your
router's book for help.

I recently had several users who have had problems connecting using RDC
over VPN from their homes and each time it was directly related to MTU.
I'm pretty sure that this arose after apply several of the recent XP
service & security patches. I'm sure the problem wasn't as pronounced
under W2K or XP without/ SPs.

To test your network MTU to the destination PC:
- Establish your VPN connection.
- Open up a DOS prompt.
- Type in ping <computer IP address> -f -l 1500

If it doesn't respond with a pinging time, then you should reduce the
1500 to 1400 and try again. Keep trying until you see a pinging time.
I dropped my users down to 1200. You can search Microsoft's support
site regarding how to update the registry settings for MTU.

n1k wrote:
> Hmmm - Since I am not real good with this stuff, slowly
learning........
> Do you mean how do I log in to the VPN? I use a user ID and
password. The
> properties of the VPN connection are using the IP address of the
server at
> work. But as I mentioned before, the VPN connects
successfully.....As for
> the remote networking connection once the VPN is connected, I use the

> computer name r01. I have also tried the IP address....still the
same result.

> Thanks for helping me with this.
>
> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > How are you attempting to connect? via name or private IP address?
> > ---
> > Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
> > MS Network Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
> > MS Home Networking Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:19:04 -0800, n1k
> > <n1k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >SOrry to post another one of these - but I have been reading the
current
> > >postings for weeks and I have tried EVERYTHING.
> > >Here's my setup:
> > > I have 2 computers on my home wireless network, my desktop
"desktop"
> > >(Creative I know) and my laptop "sony laptop". My laptop is
connected to the
> > >network via a Lindsy's Router which is hooked up to the desktop.
> > >I am trying to connect to my work computer thru remote desktop
using a VPN
> > >connection.
> > >When I connect the VPN it connects immediatly, then I go to the
remote
> > >connection and it times out. If I connect the laptop directly to
the ISP
> > >bypassing the Router all together, the VPN connects and the remote
connection
> > >connects also!!
> > >I have tried all sorts of port range forwarding, port triggering
that the
> > >support people have suggested and nothing works.
> > >PLEASE HELP!!!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 11:51:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I did what you said and my computer reached the IP
address of the work computer at 1400, although I went ahead and reduced the
MTU settings to 1200....still no luck, same result........Anymore advice!!
Please help!

"NETADMINMMA" wrote:

> Check out the information regarding MTU settings.
>
> Also, make sure your router's firmware is updated; refer to your
> router's book for help.
>
> I recently had several users who have had problems connecting using RDC
> over VPN from their homes and each time it was directly related to MTU.
> I'm pretty sure that this arose after apply several of the recent XP
> service & security patches. I'm sure the problem wasn't as pronounced
> under W2K or XP without/ SPs.
>
> To test your network MTU to the destination PC:
> - Establish your VPN connection.
> - Open up a DOS prompt.
> - Type in ping <computer IP address> -f -l 1500
>
> If it doesn't respond with a pinging time, then you should reduce the
> 1500 to 1400 and try again. Keep trying until you see a pinging time.
> I dropped my users down to 1200. You can search Microsoft's support
> site regarding how to update the registry settings for MTU.
>

> n1k wrote:
> > Hmmm - Since I am not real good with this stuff, slowly
> learning........
> > Do you mean how do I log in to the VPN? I use a user ID and
> password. The
> > properties of the VPN connection are using the IP address of the
> server at
> > work. But as I mentioned before, the VPN connects
> successfully.....As for
> > the remote networking connection once the VPN is connected, I use the
>
> > computer name r01. I have also tried the IP address....still the
> same result.
> >
> > Thanks for helping me with this.
> >
> > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > How are you attempting to connect? via name or private IP address?
> > > ---
> > > Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
> > >
> > > Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
> > > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > > My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
> > > MS Network Community -
> > >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
> > > MS Home Networking Community -
> > >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

> current
> "desktop"
> connected to the
> using a VPN
> remote
> the ISP
> connection
> that the

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 11:27:30 PM

No, I mean how are you trying to connect to the Remote Desktop session
over the VPN? You should be using the private IP address...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com