VPN Setup on NT for RDP

Hello All,

I have an NT 4 sp6 server with no modem installed, server has one NIC.
It is the PDC. ADSL Broadband has recently been installed at the
site. A DSL Router/Firewall has been plugged directly into the LAN,
this is now the default gateway (and firewall). The NT server was
never used for DUN.

I can set up the firewall and clients to give me remote access via VNC
(ports 5900+). This works. I can configure the firewall to map to
only ONE desktop on port 3389 for the remote users - i need more!

What i would like to do is setup the NT box as a VPN server (similar
to W2K) so that my remote users a) are connected over a more
sercure method, and b) can 'remote desktop' or vnc into any of the LAN
pc's.

Can i setup pptp/vpn on this NT box without a modem? Will it install
without a second NIC or a modem (as it does with w2k)?

All ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can set up NT4 as a VPN Server (see
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/vpnrasvi.htm

You would need to forward TCP Port 1723 to the NT computer and enable
PPTP Passthrough.

You also can have Remote Desktop listen on other ports (i.e., 3390,
3391) and forward these ports as needed. In fact, some
routers/firewalls allow you to specify different internal and external
ports (i.e., forward internet requests to port 3390 to internal port
3389).
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:21:53 GMT, DWatters
<davidwatters_RemoveFor@Reply_eircom.net> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I have an NT 4 sp6 server with no modem installed, server has one NIC.
>It is the PDC. ADSL Broadband has recently been installed at the
>site. A DSL Router/Firewall has been plugged directly into the LAN,
>this is now the default gateway (and firewall). The NT server was
>never used for DUN.
>
>I can set up the firewall and clients to give me remote access via VNC
>(ports 5900+). This works. I can configure the firewall to map to
>only ONE desktop on port 3389 for the remote users - i need more!
>
>What i would like to do is setup the NT box as a VPN server (similar
>to W2K) so that my remote users a) are connected over a more
>sercure method, and b) can 'remote desktop' or vnc into any of the LAN
>pc's.
>
>Can i setup pptp/vpn on this NT box without a modem? Will it install
>without a second NIC or a modem (as it does with w2k)?
>
>All ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:52:36 -0600, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:
In fact, some
>routers/firewalls allow you to specify different internal and external
>ports (i.e., forward internet requests to port 3390 to internal port
>3389).
>---
>Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Port triggering

Not exactly - port triggering will open up a specified series of
ports. The behavior I am discussing is more like port forwarding to
different ports...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -