Terminal Services CAL

How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a terminal
server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go about doing this?

"Smowk" <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a terminal
> server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go about doing
> this?

It sounds like your server is currently running in administration mode
(which only allows 2 simultaneous connections). You'll want to switch to
application mode, and then add licenses. A great resources for TS licensing
can be found here:

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=154

--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

"Dan DiNicolo" <d@d.com> wrote in

> "Smowk" <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a
>> terminal server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go
>> about doing this?
>
> It sounds like your server is currently running in administration mode
> (which only allows 2 simultaneous connections). You'll want to switch to
> application mode, and then add licenses. A great resources for TS
> licensing can be found here:
>
> http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=154

Will switching to application mode allow for the same "Remote Desktop"
settings.

We're pushing our inventory work out to the restaurants (from the main
office) of the company I work for. Rather than setting up a VPN and having
all network traffic travel through (which is unneeded) i'm having them rdp
into a server at the central office to run the inventory software (which uses
SQL) from there.

Will they still be able to login to a "Remote Desktop" and use the inventory
software as if they were sitting in the office like they can now?

Smowk

> "Dan DiNicolo" <d@d.com> wrote in
>
>> "Smowk" <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a
>>> terminal server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go
>>> about doing this?
>>
>> It sounds like your server is currently running in administration mode
>> (which only allows 2 simultaneous connections). You'll want to switch to
>> application mode, and then add licenses. A great resources for TS
>> licensing can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=154
>>

> Will switching to application mode allow for the same "Remote Desktop"
> settings.
>
> We're pushing our inventory work out to the restaurants (from the main
> office) of the company I work for. Rather than setting up a VPN and
> having
> all network traffic travel through (which is unneeded) i'm having them rdp
> into a server at the central office to run the inventory software (which
> uses
> SQL) from there.
>
> Will they still be able to login to a "Remote Desktop" and use the
> inventory
> software as if they were sitting in the office like they can now?
>
> Smowk

Absolutely on all counts

--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

Actually, it depends on whether your application is multi-user aware.
A better place to answer this question is the terminal services
newsgroups where you can ask about the compatibility with your
specific application.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
wrote in news:f2ec11dd3n84r3vc2fp43tmcktdjco9q6g@4ax.com:

> Actually, it depends on whether your application is multi-user aware.
> A better place to answer this question is the terminal services
> newsgroups where you can ask about the compatibility with your
> specific application.
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

It's definately multi-user aware...microsoft great plains dynamics

I can't find anything on Great Plains and Terminal Services, so you
should be safe... :)
---

wrote in news:a4hi115slt1c9gegihpvpjm4nauj39gq5n@4ax.com:

> I can't find anything on Great Plains and Terminal Services, so you
> should be safe... :)
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
>
> Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
> MS Network Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking
> /default.mspx MS Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:10:15 -0600, Smowk <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>great plains

i've been using it multi-user in administration mode, so it should work
fine in application

Many apps work well in Administration mode since Administration mode
acts like you are a single session. Application mode breaks quite a
few applications that are not multi-user aware (Microsoft Office, for
instance)...

---

in news:3ueq115k63g5mq68buijncnb6n739g3r95@4ax.com:

> Many apps work well in Administration mode since Administration mode
> acts like you are a single session. Application mode breaks quite a
> few applications that are not multi-user aware (Microsoft Office, for
> instance)...

it's really only to use 1 piece of software. Microsoft Great Plains
Dynamics, which is definately multi-user aware

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in news:3ueq115k63g5mq68buijncnb6n739g3r95@4ax.com:

> Many apps work well in Administration mode since Administration mode
> acts like you are a single session. Application mode breaks quite a
> few applications that are not multi-user aware (Microsoft Office, for
> instance)...

another question...forgot to add it

do i have to add or setup a license server to have 3-5 connections at once
going if they are all using 2k pro or xp pro? I've read that pro version
include a CAL

Only if your TS is Windows 2000... There are no comped licenses in
Windows 2003 Server, unfortunately...
---

wrote in news:a0hq11554c0kgduobrd61k9qvps7v680ih@4ax.com:

> Only if your TS is Windows 2000... There are no comped licenses in
> Windows 2003 Server, unfortunately...

well duh...of course it's win2k

LOL

smowk