Terminal Services CAL

How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a terminal
server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go about doing this?
12 answers Last reply
More about terminal services

    "Smowk" <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a terminal
    > server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go about doing
    > this?

    It sounds like your server is currently running in administration mode
    (which only allows 2 simultaneous connections). You'll want to switch to
    application mode, and then add licenses. A great resources for TS licensing
    can be found here:

    http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=154

    --
    Dan DiNicolo
    MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

    "Dan DiNicolo" <d@d.com> wrote in

    > "Smowk" <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a
    >> terminal server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go
    >> about doing this?
    >
    > It sounds like your server is currently running in administration mode
    > (which only allows 2 simultaneous connections). You'll want to switch to
    > application mode, and then add licenses. A great resources for TS
    > licensing can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=154

    Will switching to application mode allow for the same "Remote Desktop"
    settings.

    We're pushing our inventory work out to the restaurants (from the main
    office) of the company I work for. Rather than setting up a VPN and having
    all network traffic travel through (which is unneeded) i'm having them rdp
    into a server at the central office to run the inventory software (which uses
    SQL) from there.

    Will they still be able to login to a "Remote Desktop" and use the inventory
    software as if they were sitting in the office like they can now?

    Smowk

    > "Dan DiNicolo" <d@d.com> wrote in
    >
    >> "Smowk" <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> How do I allow more than 2 people at a time to be logged into a
    >>> terminal server? I've read about adding licenses, but how do i go
    >>> about doing this?
    >>
    >> It sounds like your server is currently running in administration mode
    >> (which only allows 2 simultaneous connections). You'll want to switch to
    >> application mode, and then add licenses. A great resources for TS
    >> licensing can be found here:
    >>
    >> http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=154
    >>

    > Will switching to application mode allow for the same "Remote Desktop"
    > settings.
    >
    > We're pushing our inventory work out to the restaurants (from the main
    > office) of the company I work for. Rather than setting up a VPN and
    > having
    > all network traffic travel through (which is unneeded) i'm having them rdp
    > into a server at the central office to run the inventory software (which
    > uses
    > SQL) from there.
    >
    > Will they still be able to login to a "Remote Desktop" and use the
    > inventory
    > software as if they were sitting in the office like they can now?
    >
    > Smowk

    Absolutely on all counts

    --
    Dan DiNicolo
    MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

    Actually, it depends on whether your application is multi-user aware.
    A better place to answer this question is the terminal services
    newsgroups where you can ask about the compatibility with your
    specific application.
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

    Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    MS Network Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    MS Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
    wrote in news:f2ec11dd3n84r3vc2fp43tmcktdjco9q6g@4ax.com:

    > Actually, it depends on whether your application is multi-user aware.
    > A better place to answer this question is the terminal services
    > newsgroups where you can ask about the compatibility with your
    > specific application.
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

    It's definately multi-user aware...microsoft great plains dynamics

    I can't find anything on Great Plains and Terminal Services, so you
    should be safe... :)
    ---

    wrote in news:a4hi115slt1c9gegihpvpjm4nauj39gq5n@4ax.com:

    > I can't find anything on Great Plains and Terminal Services, so you
    > should be safe... :)
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
    >
    > Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    > MS Network Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking
    > /default.mspx MS Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >
    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:10:15 -0600, Smowk <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>great plains

    i've been using it multi-user in administration mode, so it should work
    fine in application

    Many apps work well in Administration mode since Administration mode
    acts like you are a single session. Application mode breaks quite a
    few applications that are not multi-user aware (Microsoft Office, for
    instance)...

    ---

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:06:20 -0600, Smowk <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
    >wrote in news:a4hi115slt1c9gegihpvpjm4nauj39gq5n@4ax.com:
    >
    >> I can't find anything on Great Plains and Terminal Services, so you
    >> should be safe... :)
    >> ---
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    >> MS Network Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking
    >> /default.mspx MS Home Networking Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >>
    >> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:10:15 -0600, Smowk <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>great plains
    >>

    >i've been using it multi-user in administration mode, so it should work
    >fine in application
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in news:3ueq115k63g5mq68buijncnb6n739g3r95@4ax.com:

    > Many apps work well in Administration mode since Administration mode
    > acts like you are a single session. Application mode breaks quite a
    > few applications that are not multi-user aware (Microsoft Office, for
    > instance)...

    it's really only to use 1 piece of software. Microsoft Great Plains
    Dynamics, which is definately multi-user aware
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in news:3ueq115k63g5mq68buijncnb6n739g3r95@4ax.com:

    > Many apps work well in Administration mode since Administration mode
    > acts like you are a single session. Application mode breaks quite a
    > few applications that are not multi-user aware (Microsoft Office, for
    > instance)...

    another question...forgot to add it

    do i have to add or setup a license server to have 3-5 connections at once
    going if they are all using 2k pro or xp pro? I've read that pro version
    include a CAL
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Only if your TS is Windows 2000... There are no comped licenses in
    Windows 2003 Server, unfortunately...
    ---

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:44:02 -0600, Smowk <SmowkOne@Yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    >in news:3ueq115k63g5mq68buijncnb6n739g3r95@4ax.com:
    >
    >> Many apps work well in Administration mode since Administration mode
    >> acts like you are a single session. Application mode breaks quite a
    >> few applications that are not multi-user aware (Microsoft Office, for
    >> instance)...
    >
    >another question...forgot to add it
    >
    >do i have to add or setup a license server to have 3-5 connections at once
    >going if they are all using 2k pro or xp pro? I've read that pro version
    >include a CAL
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    wrote in news:a0hq11554c0kgduobrd61k9qvps7v680ih@4ax.com:

    > Only if your TS is Windows 2000... There are no comped licenses in
    > Windows 2003 Server, unfortunately...

    well duh...of course it's win2k

    LOL

    smowk