Inserting Smartmedia card

I just bought a 15 in 1 USB "pocket" card reader.

I have a smartmedia card (Olympus D450z).

How do you insert this thing?

The only slot that it will fit in is pretty darn loose.

Does the foil face up or down?....do you just slide it in till you see the
SM/XD led light up or something?

Thanks kindly.
5 answers Last reply
More about inserting smartmedia card

    "Michael" <newszz10@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >I just bought a 15 in 1 USB "pocket" card reader.
    >
    >I have a smartmedia card (Olympus D450z).
    >
    >How do you insert this thing?
    >
    >The only slot that it will fit in is pretty darn loose.
    >
    >Does the foil face up or down?....do you just slide it in till you see the
    >SM/XD led light up or something?
    >
    >Thanks kindly.

    consider returning the 15 in 1 and getting a "just smartmedia" reader.

    It looks like I should have the foil up.

    Is it supposed to be a loose fit?......do you just slide it in till you see
    the SM led light up?

    If you were to push it in too far there's no way you could get it out!

    Software installed ok.....all the "drive" designations show up.

    Michael wrote:
    > I just bought a 15 in 1 USB "pocket" card reader.
    >
    > I have a smartmedia card (Olympus D450z).
    >
    > How do you insert this thing?
    >
    > The only slot that it will fit in is pretty darn loose.
    >
    > Does the foil face up or down?....do you just slide it in till you see the
    > SM/XD led light up or something?
    >
    > Thanks kindly.

    There is something wrong with the reader if the card is loose in the slot, assuming you
    are using the right slot. It should be snug enough to ensure that the contacts are made
    between the card and the reader.

    figured it out.

    15 buck deal I got on Ebay....real sloppy fit but as I suspected just slide
    the card till the LED kicks on.

    pretty neat actually....up till now had my camera on win98, serial port and
    Olympus software.

    this is MUCH better.

    "Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
    > Michael wrote:
    >> I just bought a 15 in 1 USB "pocket" card reader.
    >>
    >> I have a smartmedia card (Olympus D450z).
    >>
    >> How do you insert this thing?
    >>
    >> The only slot that it will fit in is pretty darn loose.
    >>
    >> Does the foil face up or down?....do you just slide it in till you see
    >> the SM/XD led light up or something?
    >>
    >> Thanks kindly.
    > There is something wrong with the reader if the card is loose in the slot,
    > assuming you are using the right slot. It should be snug enough to ensure
    > that the contacts are made between the card and the reader.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Michael" <newszz10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a 15 in 1 USB "pocket" card reader.
    >
    > I have a smart card (Olympus D450z).
    >
    > How do you insert this thing?
    >
    > The only slot that it will fit in is pretty darn loose.
    >
    > Does the foil face up or down?....do you just slide it in till you see the
    > SM/XD led light up or something?
    >
    > Thanks kindly.

    With a flashlight, look inside the 15 in 1 USB "pocket" card reader and see
    where the contacts are located, top or bottom (usually top). Or RTFM.
    Then slide the smart media card in with the gold contacts (foil face) facing
    the contacts inside the reader.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com