How can i make a video tutorial?

I cant record WHILE doing the tutorial since 3dsmax will need all of
the processing power. So i was going to record to my vcr then back to
my cpu. Help:
1.CPU ("clone screen" S-video)

(output: This step i've got down)

2.VCR

(input: I have the card...will this work ok?)

3.PinnicalAV/DV capture card
\
(convert: This step i've got down)
/
4.avt to wmv

"cpu newb" in ...
> I cant record WHILE doing the tutorial since 3dsmax will need all of
> the processing power. So i was going to record to my vcr then back to
> my cpu. Help:
> 1.CPU ("clone screen" S-video)
> |
> (output: This step i've got down)
> |
> 2.VCR
> |
> (input: I have the card...will this work ok?)
> |
> 3.PinnicalAV/DV capture card
> \
> (convert: This step i've got down)
> /
> 4.avt to wmv

You appear to say that you have all the steps "down".
What exactly is the question?

Read step 2 and 3. I tried to show all the connections and where the
problem is.
And the exact question is: How can i make a video tutorial?

"cpu newb" <snowfish1@msn.com> wrote in message
> Read step 2 and 3. I tried to show all the connections and where the
> problem is.
> And the exact question is: How can i make a video tutorial?

What kind of resolution/quality are you expecting?
What does "VCR" mean? VHS? Beta? Digital?
Are you happy with what your computer screen
looks like in VGA/NTSC resolution (640x480)?
Have you tried recording on your VCR?
Are you happy with the recording?

You have not used your Pinnacle card to import video?
That seems like the question regardless of what your
specific application is. You might want to "qualify"
your available equipment to see if it is capable of doing
what you want to do.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "cpu newb" <snowfish1@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Read step 2 and 3. I tried to show all the connections and where
the
> > problem is.
> > And the exact question is: How can i make a video tutorial?
>
> What kind of resolution/quality are you expecting?
> What does "VCR" mean? VHS? Beta? Digital?
> Are you happy with what your computer screen
> looks like in VGA/NTSC resolution (640x480)?
> Have you tried recording on your VCR?
> Are you happy with the recording?
>
> You have not used your Pinnacle card to import video?
> That seems like the question regardless of what your
> specific application is. You might want to "qualify"
> your available equipment to see if it is capable of doing
> what you want to do.

It works.... sort of... Was my Pinnical AV/DV card supose to have it's
own way of importing audio? Cuz it's not getting any audio from the
vcr...

"cpu newb" wrote ...
> It works.... sort of...

Not a particularly promising begining to your experiment.
My gut reaction is that your requirements greatly exceed
your resources.

> Was my Pinnical AV/DV card supose to have it's own
> way of importing audio? Cuz it's not getting any audio
> from the vcr...

Suggest going to the Pinnacle-specific online forums where
Pinnacle owners can comiserate amongst themselves.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "cpu newb" wrote ...
> > It works.... sort of...
>
> Not a particularly promising begining to your experiment.
> My gut reaction is that your requirements greatly exceed
> your resources.
>
> > Was my Pinnical AV/DV card supose to have it's own
> > way of importing audio? Cuz it's not getting any audio
> > from the vcr...
>
> Suggest going to the Pinnacle-specific online forums where
> Pinnacle owners can comiserate amongst themselves.

DONE! Here's what i do and did:
Cpu(s-video out from Radeon9800pro)
then
VCR(AV input and AV output)
then
Cpu(Pinnicle card)
_---__----__-
Check out what i did!
http://viscomcreatives.org/photo/thumbnails.php?album=23

Cool first attempt. Can't tell whether it is so lo-res because
of such small image dimensions, or because it went
through a VHS step?

I'd work on devising a solution that keeps the video on
the computer in digital form. Otherwise, none of the text
is really readable, which is a great disadvantage for a
tutorial.

Scripting (or at least outlining) the presentation would help
make it more "polished" and pre-planning things like video
modes, file locations, etc. would prevent doing silly things
"on camera". Announcing that "I'm going to cut away here"
don't really add any value to the content of the tutorial and
are rather distracting. Using the proper terms for things is
also helpful for people just learning how to use an application.
Telling people to drag-and-drop "up here" and then "down
there" seems a bit too casual.

Here are some guys who I think are doing this right. ...
www.technicalvideos.net

They are in a small niche market and certainly there is room
to do something like this for video/audio/NLE, etc. I don't
know whether they are supporting themselves on subscriptions,
but I am gladly paying $40 a year for access to their growing
library of short tutorial videos. I think this is the ideal "1-on-1",
"single-subject", "just-in-time" kind of training that modern
computer, video and network technology enables.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> Cool first attempt. Can't tell whether it is so lo-res because
> of such small image dimensions, or because it went
> through a VHS step?
>
> I'd work on devising a solution that keeps the video on
> the computer in digital form. Otherwise, none of the text
> is really readable, which is a great disadvantage for a
> tutorial.
>
> Scripting (or at least outlining) the presentation would help
> make it more "polished" and pre-planning things like video
> modes, file locations, etc. would prevent doing silly things
> "on camera". Announcing that "I'm going to cut away here"
> don't really add any value to the content of the tutorial and
> are rather distracting. Using the proper terms for things is
> also helpful for people just learning how to use an application.
> Telling people to drag-and-drop "up here" and then "down
> there" seems a bit too casual.
>
> Here are some guys who I think are doing this right. ...
> www.technicalvideos.net
>
> They are in a small niche market and certainly there is room
> to do something like this for video/audio/NLE, etc. I don't
> know whether they are supporting themselves on subscriptions,
> but I am gladly paying $40 a year for access to their growing
> library of short tutorial videos. I think this is the ideal
"1-on-1",
> "single-subject", "just-in-time" kind of training that modern
> computer, video and network technology enables.
>

> "cpu newb" <snowfish1@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Richard Crowley wrote:
> > > "cpu newb" wrote ...
> > >
> > > Not a particularly promising begining to your experiment.
> > > My gut reaction is that your requirements greatly exceed
> > > your resources.

> > > Suggest going to the Pinnacle-specific online forums where
> > > Pinnacle owners can comiserate amongst themselves.
> >
> > DONE! Here's what i do and did:
> > Cpu(s-video out from Radeon9800pro)
> > then
> > VCR(AV input and AV output)
> > then
> > Cpu(Pinnicle card)
> > _---__----__-
> > Check out what i did!
> > http://viscomcreatives.org/photo/thumbnails.php?album=23

No i have to compress it really small.. Right now i can only upload
files that are less than 3kb big.. i'm trying to get them to change
that as im writing this. Making these tutorials is alot of fun.

"cpu newb" wrote in message
> No i have to compress it really small.. Right now i can only upload
> files that are less than 3kb big.. i'm trying to get them to change
> that as im writing this. Making these tutorials is alot of fun.

Don't see how you can do something like computer tutorials in 3KB
(or even 30KB). It feels like trying to deliver furniture and major
appliances on your bicycle. Just fundamentally not suitable.

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "cpu newb" wrote in message
> > No i have to compress it really small.. Right now i can only upload
> > files that are less than 3kb big.. i'm trying to get them to change
> > that as im writing this. Making these tutorials is alot of fun.
>
> Don't see how you can do something like computer tutorials in 3KB
> (or even 30KB). It feels like trying to deliver furniture and major
> appliances on your bicycle. Just fundamentally not suitable.

Woops i ment 3mb.. but i just found out that i cant post anything over
2mb... it's a real drag but my skills at compressing stuff are getting
good.