New problem with remote desktop and standby

Hi all! I have a problem I'm trying to sort out for a customer that is
making me nuts. Customer has a laptop in his office using XP Pro and
connects remotely to it constantly from a home PC also using XP Pro with RD.
Setup has been working beautifully apparently with no issues at all for over
a year until the last week or so.

What happens now is that the laptop (server) is dropping into sleep mode
after a RD connect from the client and then drops the connection and will not
re-connect as the laptop is now in standby mode and has to be physically
brought out of standby. Sorry, not sure how long it takes before this
happens but definitely within lets say a 15 minute time period after connect
(or so). To my knowledge nothing has been changed on either side re:
settings, standby modes, etc. All power management has been disabled on the
laptop with the exception of the battery settings which should not apply as
it's always plugged in and never affected it before.

Only thing I can think of that he has changed recently is the last round of
updates from the Microsoft site. This has been very frustrating to
troubleshoot and I may have to bring his laptop and system together on a
network at my office to see if I can reproduce the problem in that
environment. That way I can see both ends at the same time but obviously
very inconvenient for him. As is, it always happens now just over the last
week or so with every connect attempt. Any ideas of where to start tracking
this down? Thanks!

James

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:59:03 -0800, "Joudbren"
<Joudbren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all! I have a problem I'm trying to sort out for a customer that is
>making me nuts. Customer has a laptop in his office using XP Pro and
>connects remotely to it constantly from a home PC also using XP Pro with RD.
>Setup has been working beautifully apparently with no issues at all for over
>a year until the last week or so.
>
>What happens now is that the laptop (server) is dropping into sleep mode
>after a RD connect from the client and then drops the connection and will not
>re-connect as the laptop is now in standby mode and has to be physically
>brought out of standby. Sorry, not sure how long it takes before this
>happens but definitely within lets say a 15 minute time period after connect
>(or so). To my knowledge nothing has been changed on either side re:
>settings, standby modes, etc. All power management has been disabled on the
>laptop with the exception of the battery settings which should not apply as
>it's always plugged in and never affected it before.
>
>Only thing I can think of that he has changed recently is the last round of
>updates from the Microsoft site. This has been very frustrating to
>troubleshoot and I may have to bring his laptop and system together on a
>network at my office to see if I can reproduce the problem in that
>environment. That way I can see both ends at the same time but obviously
>very inconvenient for him. As is, it always happens now just over the last
>week or so with every connect attempt. Any ideas of where to start tracking
>this down? Thanks!
>
>James
(assumes via WAN connection)
Open the device manager:
find *the* network adapter on the list
go to Properties and see if it has a Power Management tab (not all do)
disable (uncheck) the allow manage power box.
The driver might have been updated and now has this *feature* that
does not show up on the Power Management panel.

Steve U

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

Thanks for the feedback Steve. Notebook is indeed running wireless. There
isn't a power management tab by itself but there is a power management
setting inside of the driver which unfortunately is already showing as
disabled. You've given me an idea though so I'm going to do an update on the
Orinoco PCMCIA wireless card drivers (using the internal generic XP drivers
right now) and see if that helps him out or not. Appreciate the help and
I'll post back here to advise on the results!

James :cool: