Why does Plextor DVD-RW drive require a Pentium 4, 1.4GHz ..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2005 9:05:41 PM

I have a 4-year-old Dell Dimension that still seems to be getting by
for most of my needs (cruising the web, listening to MP3s, etc.).

It's a Pentium 3, 930 MHz, with 512 MB RAM.

I was considering buying this DVD-RW drive for $100 at Best Buy:

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716A.htm

Ideally, I'd like to be able to encode footage from some DVDs, do a
little editing on the footage and burn it back to DVD.

However, Plextor's minimum system requirements (listed on the URL
above) call for a minmum Pentium 4, 1.4GHZ.

Can someone tell me if that's correct. I can't see why it would
matter to the DVD drive that my CPU isn't as fast as the one they're
recommending.

Any input would be welcome, although "Dude, it's time to upgrade!"
probably won't be much help. (My desire to play with DVDs and DVD-Rs
isn't great enough to spend the cash and start thinking about a brand
new computer.)

I would, however, be very happy to hear anyone's theory/explanation
for this minimum CPU requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:34:45 AM

I suspect the minimum requirements are actually for whatever software is
bundled with the drive, not for the drive itself. Most new DVD drives I've
seen include some flavor of software DVD decoder for watching movies, and
maybe some limited video editing program. Many of these would require the
added capabilities of newer processors.
-- Brian

============
"dgates" <dgates@spamlinkline.com> wrote in message

> I have a 4-year-old Dell Dimension that still seems to be getting by
> for most of my needs (cruising the web, listening to MP3s, etc.).
>
> It's a Pentium 3, 930 MHz, with 512 MB RAM.
>
> I was considering buying this DVD-RW drive for $100 at Best Buy:
>
> http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716A.htm
>
> Ideally, I'd like to be able to encode footage from some DVDs, do a
> little editing on the footage and burn it back to DVD.
>
> However, Plextor's minimum system requirements (listed on the URL
> above) call for a minmum Pentium 4, 1.4GHZ.
>

> Can someone tell me if that's correct. I can't see why it would
> matter to the DVD drive that my CPU isn't as fast as the one they're
> recommending.
>

> Any input would be welcome, although "Dude, it's time to upgrade!"
> probably won't be much help. (My desire to play with DVDs and DVD-Rs
> isn't great enough to spend the cash and start thinking about a brand
> new computer.)
>
> I would, however, be very happy to hear anyone's theory/explanation
> for this minimum CPU requirement.
>

> Thanks in advance.

April 9, 2009 7:10:15 PM

I believe Brian is correct. Honestly how much system requirements could a drive really require?

I would assume the only downside to not meeting the requirements would be the drive running a bit slower?
April 9, 2009 9:09:38 PM

Baoser said:
I believe Brian is correct. Honestly how much system requirements could a drive really require?

I would assume the only downside to not meeting the requirements would be the drive running a bit slower?

That's what I thought, I had a similar experience with recomended specs, unfortunately I thought "what the hey, it's almost at recomended" what a silly thing for me to think. it turned out after running my computer for just 5 minutes I heard crackling and then suddenly it burst into flames, I think I could see the deepest pits of hell in those flames I'm not sure, I could have just been seeing things, but I'm sure I heard demonic voices... in the end the fire consumed my whole house killing all my family I was the only one to survive, Never again will I make that mistake again

On a more serious note, I don't think it's anything to worry about manufactureres probably put it that high just to cover themselves if it doesn't work. Unless it's come with software to watch the DVDs on in which case it's the minimum specs to run the software. Once again I wouldn't worry about that. I expect it's a small program and won't need it.
!