modem connection between two XP pro desktops

Im am running an ap in my TennisClub which i want to support from home. Both
Machines Run XP Pro. When i follow the default steps and i try to connect i
get Error 721. Doe anyone know a link to good documentation on RAS and dialup
networking in XP Pro?
--
Struggling along

bar

Open Network Connections.
To configure a dial-up connection, click the connection that you want to
configure, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this
connection.

Do one or more of the following:
To configure dialing devices that your computer uses to make a connection (a
modem, for example), phone numbers, host addresses, country or region codes,
or dialing rules, click the General tab.

To configure dialing and redialing options, or X.25 settings, click the
Options tab.
To configure identity authentication, which is a way to help verify your
computer’s identity when making a connection, data encryption (which codes
the content so that it’s less likely to be readable by someone other than the
intended recipient), or terminal window and scripting options, click the
Security tab.

To configure the remote access server that you want to connect to and
protocols (the format that your computer uses to communicate with other
computers) used for this connection, click the Networking tab.

To turn Internet Connection Sharing on or off or configure your computer to
establish a dial-up connection automatically, click the Advanced tab.

Notes
Mor information is available in Help and Support on your PC

"TennisBox" wrote:

> Im am running an ap in my TennisClub which i want to support from home. Both
> Machines Run XP Pro. When i follow the default steps and i try to connect i
> get Error 721. Doe anyone know a link to good documentation on RAS and dialup
> networking in XP Pro?
> --
> Struggling along

Thanks for your reply BAR.
I am afraaid it does not cover my problem.
I am able to dial out to the other XP Pro computer,
and this XP Pro computer actually answers the phone :) but then after a
minute or so verifying username and password the client disconnects stating
ERROR 721.
I am looking for some kind of documentation on what the configuration
parameters are, not only on how to reach them.

Thanks anyway fo the effort!
"BAR" wrote:

> Open Network Connections.
> To configure a dial-up connection, click the connection that you want to
> configure, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this
> connection.
>
> Do one or more of the following:
> To configure dialing devices that your computer uses to make a connection (a
> modem, for example), phone numbers, host addresses, country or region codes,
> or dialing rules, click the General tab.
>
> To configure dialing and redialing options, or X.25 settings, click the
> Options tab.
> To configure identity authentication, which is a way to help verify your
> computer’s identity when making a connection, data encryption (which codes
> the content so that it’s less likely to be readable by someone other than the
> intended recipient), or terminal window and scripting options, click the
> Security tab.
>
> To configure the remote access server that you want to connect to and
> protocols (the format that your computer uses to communicate with other
> computers) used for this connection, click the Networking tab.
>
> To turn Internet Connection Sharing on or off or configure your computer to
> establish a dial-up connection automatically, click the Advanced tab.
>
> Notes
> Mor information is available in Help and Support on your PC
>

> "TennisBox" wrote:
>
> > Im am running an ap in my TennisClub which i want to support from home. Both
> > Machines Run XP Pro. When i follow the default steps and i try to connect i
> > get Error 721. Doe anyone know a link to good documentation on RAS and dialup
> > networking in XP Pro?
> > --
> > Struggling along

Maybe this old thread may be of help...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/messages/4827f79f4c37a1e6,cfdffd6fdec568e7,1b33a77eb781a352,1629dee0340792b6,a44aaf6c5f2826de,3708bc48e0f37f82,99d1788e5bb06009,3d8ecc9e06a6e63a,c07c07ce9255c96c?thread_id=f3bc1ceaf4a1edf8&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=ras+group:*.work_remotely#doc_4827f79f4c37a1e6

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"TennisBox" <TennisBox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply BAR.
> I am afraaid it does not cover my problem.
> I am able to dial out to the other XP Pro computer,
> and this XP Pro computer actually answers the phone :) but then after a
> minute or so verifying username and password the client disconnects stating
> ERROR 721.
> I am looking for some kind of documentation on what the configuration
> parameters are, not only on how to reach them.
>
> Thanks anyway fo the effort!
> "BAR" wrote:
>
>> Open Network Connections.
>> To configure a dial-up connection, click the connection that you want to
>> configure, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this
>> connection.
>>
>> Do one or more of the following:
>> To configure dialing devices that your computer uses to make a connection (a
>> modem, for example), phone numbers, host addresses, country or region codes,
>> or dialing rules, click the General tab.
>>
>> To configure dialing and redialing options, or X.25 settings, click the
>> Options tab.
>> To configure identity authentication, which is a way to help verify your
>> computer’s identity when making a connection, data encryption (which codes
>> the content so that it’s less likely to be readable by someone other than the
>> intended recipient), or terminal window and scripting options, click the
>> Security tab.
>>
>> To configure the remote access server that you want to connect to and
>> protocols (the format that your computer uses to communicate with other
>> computers) used for this connection, click the Networking tab.
>>
>> To turn Internet Connection Sharing on or off or configure your computer to
>> establish a dial-up connection automatically, click the Advanced tab.
>>
>> Notes
>> Mor information is available in Help and Support on your PC
>>

>> "TennisBox" wrote:
>>
>> > Im am running an ap in my TennisClub which i want to support from home. Both
>> > Machines Run XP Pro. When i follow the default steps and i try to connect i
>> > get Error 721. Doe anyone know a link to good documentation on RAS and dialup
>> > networking in XP Pro?
>> > --
>> > Struggling along

I have configured my RAS server allready on accepting incoming calls, both as
VPN server and not, with TCPIP settings etc. In both ways it picks up the
phone. But then the client disconnects stating "Error 721, Server is not
responding". I have also tried this on Machines running XP Pro SP1, XP Pro
SP2, with both ISDN and analoge modems etc.
So i performed all steps mentioned in various threads of various
discussions, and also the way microsoft states it has to be done on their
website. What i can't seem to find is a thread where Remote Desktop works
with a dialup connection. I am afraid that PC anywhere (or other Remote
Control software) is the only solution and that this functionality (Remote
Control by dialup) does not exist in Windows XP Professional. Can anyone
(maybe Bill himselve) convince me otherwise?

Regards,

Mark

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Maybe this old thread may be of help...
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/messages/4827f79f4c37a1e6,cfdffd6fdec568e7,1b33a77eb781a352,1629dee0340792b6,a44aaf6c5f2826de,3708bc48e0f37f82,99d1788e5bb06009,3d8ecc9e06a6e63a,c07c07ce9255c96c?thread_id=f3bc1ceaf4a1edf8&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=ras+group:*.work_remotely#doc_4827f79f4c37a1e6
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "TennisBox" <TennisBox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply BAR.
> > I am afraaid it does not cover my problem.
> > I am able to dial out to the other XP Pro computer,
> > and this XP Pro computer actually answers the phone :) but then after a
> > minute or so verifying username and password the client disconnects stating
> > ERROR 721.
> > I am looking for some kind of documentation on what the configuration
> > parameters are, not only on how to reach them.
> >
> > Thanks anyway fo the effort!
> > "BAR" wrote:
> >
> >> Open Network Connections.
> >> To configure a dial-up connection, click the connection that you want to
> >> configure, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> Do one or more of the following:
> >> To configure dialing devices that your computer uses to make a connection (a
> >> modem, for example), phone numbers, host addresses, country or region codes,
> >> or dialing rules, click the General tab.
> >>
> >> To configure dialing and redialing options, or X.25 settings, click the
> >> Options tab.
> >> To configure identity authentication, which is a way to help verify your
> >> computer’s identity when making a connection, data encryption (which codes
> >> the content so that it’s less likely to be readable by someone other than the
> >> intended recipient), or terminal window and scripting options, click the
> >> Security tab.
> >>
> >> To configure the remote access server that you want to connect to and
> >> protocols (the format that your computer uses to communicate with other
> >> computers) used for this connection, click the Networking tab.
> >>
> >> To turn Internet Connection Sharing on or off or configure your computer to
> >> establish a dial-up connection automatically, click the Advanced tab.
> >>
> >> Notes
> >> Mor information is available in Help and Support on your PC

What is the exact error message?

I presume the user ID your trying to log on with has a password...

--

>I have configured my RAS server allready on accepting incoming calls, both as
> VPN server and not, with TCPIP settings etc. In both ways it picks up the
> phone. But then the client disconnects stating "Error 721, Server is not
> responding". I have also tried this on Machines running XP Pro SP1, XP Pro
> SP2, with both ISDN and analoge modems etc.
> So i performed all steps mentioned in various threads of various
> discussions, and also the way microsoft states it has to be done on their
> website. What i can't seem to find is a thread where Remote Desktop works
> with a dialup connection. I am afraid that PC anywhere (or other Remote
> Control software) is the only solution and that this functionality (Remote
> Control by dialup) does not exist in Windows XP Professional. Can anyone
> (maybe Bill himselve) convince me otherwise?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Maybe this old thread may be of help...
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/messages/4827f79f4c37a1e6,cfdffd6fdec568e7,1b33a77eb781a352,1629dee0340792b6,a44aaf6c5f2826de,3708bc48e0f37f82,99d1788e5bb06009,3d8ecc9e06a6e63a,c07c07ce9255c96c?thread_id=f3bc1ceaf4a1edf8&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=ras+group:*.work_remotely#doc_4827f79f4c37a1e6
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "TennisBox" <TennisBox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your reply BAR.
>> > I am afraaid it does not cover my problem.
>> > I am able to dial out to the other XP Pro computer,
>> > and this XP Pro computer actually answers the phone :) but then after a
>> > minute or so verifying username and password the client disconnects stating
>> > ERROR 721.
>> > I am looking for some kind of documentation on what the configuration
>> > parameters are, not only on how to reach them.
>> >
>> > Thanks anyway fo the effort!

Hi Sooner al, thanks for your effort!
The system stated (and states every first time i try to connect) after the
verifying username and password phase:
error 721 - the remote system did not respond...
After redialing it gives teh same errordescription, but now with error 678.

Regards,

Mark