Remote session & watch video on slow machine

Hello people,

I have a rather old laptop (Celeron 400Mhz) I would like to watch
movies on. I thought I could remotely connect via LAN to my main
computer and play the file there. It seems though that remote session
compresses the data it sends over LAN and I end up having the same
problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
enough and drops frames. I tried disabling compression by setting
compression:i:1 in the .rdp file but that didn't help much either.

In conclusion: does somebody know of a remote session program that
will just "dump" all data to LAN without any compression/decompression
on the client/server side respectively?

Thank you,
Dimitrios Tziouris
2 answers Last reply
More about remote session watch video slow machine

    Dimitris wrote:
    > I have a rather old laptop (Celeron 400Mhz) I would like to watch
    > movies on. I thought I could remotely connect via LAN to my main
    > computer and play the file there. It seems though that remote session
    > compresses the data it sends over LAN and I end up having the same
    > problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
    > enough and drops frames. I tried disabling compression by setting
    > compression:i:1 in the .rdp file but that didn't help much either.
    >
    > In conclusion: does somebody know of a remote session program that
    > will just "dump" all data to LAN without any compression/decompression
    > on the client/server side respectively?

    Why not just map the drive and play it on the local machine using the local
    machine power and streaming the file?

    -
    <- Shenan ->

    Dimitris wrote:
    > I have a rather old laptop (Celeron 400Mhz) I would like to watch
    > movies on. I thought I could remotely connect via LAN to my main
    > computer and play the file there. It seems though that remote session
    > compresses the data it sends over LAN and I end up having the same
    > problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
    > enough and drops frames. I tried disabling compression by setting
    > compression:i:1 in the .rdp file but that didn't help much either.
    >
    > In conclusion: does somebody know of a remote session program that
    > will just "dump" all data to LAN without any compression/decompression
    > on the client/server side respectively?

    n/m - missed that part:
    "problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
    enough and drops frames"

    Tried using something like UltraVNC?

    --
    <- Shenan ->