Remote session & watch video on slow machine

February 18, 2005 3:41:24 PM

Hello people,

I have a rather old laptop (Celeron 400Mhz) I would like to watch
movies on. I thought I could remotely connect via LAN to my main
computer and play the file there. It seems though that remote session
compresses the data it sends over LAN and I end up having the same
problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
enough and drops frames. I tried disabling compression by setting
compression:i:1 in the .rdp file but that didn't help much either.

In conclusion: does somebody know of a remote session program that
will just "dump" all data to LAN without any compression/decompression
on the client/server side respectively?

Thank you,
Dimitrios Tziouris
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:52:49 AM

Dimitris wrote:
> I have a rather old laptop (Celeron 400Mhz) I would like to watch
> movies on. I thought I could remotely connect via LAN to my main
> computer and play the file there. It seems though that remote session
> compresses the data it sends over LAN and I end up having the same
> problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
> enough and drops frames. I tried disabling compression by setting
> compression:i:1 in the .rdp file but that didn't help much either.
>
> In conclusion: does somebody know of a remote session program that
> will just "dump" all data to LAN without any compression/decompression
> on the client/server side respectively?

Why not just map the drive and play it on the local machine using the local
machine power and streaming the file?

-
<- Shenan ->
February 19, 2005 1:54:33 AM

Dimitris wrote:
> I have a rather old laptop (Celeron 400Mhz) I would like to watch
> movies on. I thought I could remotely connect via LAN to my main
> computer and play the file there. It seems though that remote session
> compresses the data it sends over LAN and I end up having the same
> problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
> enough and drops frames. I tried disabling compression by setting
> compression:i:1 in the .rdp file but that didn't help much either.
>
> In conclusion: does somebody know of a remote session program that
> will just "dump" all data to LAN without any compression/decompression
> on the client/server side respectively?

n/m - missed that part:
"problem I was trying to avoid: my poor celeron cannot decompress fast
enough and drops frames"

Tried using something like UltraVNC?

--
<- Shenan ->