From VHS to DivX

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I'm hoping to convert my VHS tapes to DivX.

Is there software that can create a DivX file in real time?
I've looked at Dr DivX but it's main use seems to be for creating a
DivX movie from a DVD disc.

I was thinking that maybe there is a DivX codec that could be used to
convert the video signal into a DivX file.

I have a ADVC analog to digital converter which is attached to a
firewire card.

Regards Brian

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:42:55 +1300) it happened Brian
<bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in <mqoh21p4ut01lq8jl2t7ptkdebok4aom9f@4ax.com>:

>I'm hoping to convert my VHS tapes to DivX.
>
>Is there software that can create a DivX file in real time?
>I've looked at Dr DivX but it's main use seems to be for creating a
>DivX movie from a DVD disc.
>
>I was thinking that maybe there is a DivX codec that could be used to
>convert the video signal into a DivX file.
>
>I have a ADVC analog to digital converter which is attached to a
>firewire card.
What does it output? Mpeg2? YUV?
If your PC is fast enough transcoding at real time should be possible.
It depends a lot on format and quality too, it is much better to use
'offline' transcoding and 2 pass.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Jan Panteltje <pNaonStaemltje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:42:55 +1300) it happened Brian
><bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in <mqoh21p4ut01lq8jl2t7ptkdebok4aom9f@4ax.com>:
>
>>I'm hoping to convert my VHS tapes to DivX.
>>
>>Is there software that can create a DivX file in real time?
>>I've looked at Dr DivX but it's main use seems to be for creating a
>>DivX movie from a DVD disc.
>>
>>I was thinking that maybe there is a DivX codec that could be used to
>>convert the video signal into a DivX file.
>>
>>I have a ADVC analog to digital converter which is attached to a
>>firewire card.
>What does it output? Mpeg2? YUV?
>If your PC is fast enough transcoding at real time should be possible.
>It depends a lot on format and quality too, it is much better to use
>'offline' transcoding and 2 pass.

I need to use software such as Ulead Movie factory to have the signal
from the analog to digital converted video saved to the hard drive.
It's like connecting a video camera to the firewire card. It normally
saves in avi format.

Regards Brian

On a sunny day (Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:03:36 +1300) it happened Brian
<bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in <ki6n2113k0mgsd4rr55tl7jrfibetcj61c@4ax.com>:

>Jan Panteltje <pNaonStaemltje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:42:55 +1300) it happened Brian
>><bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in <mqoh21p4ut01lq8jl2t7ptkdebok4aom9f@4ax.com>:
>>
>>>I'm hoping to convert my VHS tapes to DivX.
>>>
>>>Is there software that can create a DivX file in real time?
>>>I've looked at Dr DivX but it's main use seems to be for creating a
>>>DivX movie from a DVD disc.
>>>
>>>I was thinking that maybe there is a DivX codec that could be used to
>>>convert the video signal into a DivX file.
>>>
>>>I have a ADVC analog to digital converter which is attached to a
>>>firewire card.
>>What does it output? Mpeg2? YUV?
>>If your PC is fast enough transcoding at real time should be possible.
>>It depends a lot on format and quality too, it is much better to use
>>'offline' transcoding and 2 pass.
>
>I need to use software such as Ulead Movie factory to have the signal
>from the analog to digital converted video saved to the hard drive.
>It's like connecting a video camera to the firewire card. It normally
>saves in avi format.
>
>Regards Brian
OK I have Ulead soemwhere, but it is an old version, and I never use MS
windows and I did not like Ulead (but it did work).
Basically if you can select yuv and a codec in one of its menus (or your
capture program's menu), then you should be able to select DivX codec.
And record directly in DivX.
I can do that with my 'Asus digital video recorder' software that came
with my Asus card.
You will have to install DivX codec perhaps www.divx.com , it is free.
What size and quality you can do in real time depends on the processor speed.
I am sort of 30% sure I did see DivX codec in my Ulead menus too actually...

> I'm hoping to convert my VHS tapes to DivX.
>
> Is there software that can create a DivX file in real time?
> I've looked at Dr DivX but it's main use seems to be for creating a
> DivX movie from a DVD disc.
>
> I was thinking that maybe there is a DivX codec that could be used to
> convert the video signal into a DivX file.
>
> I have a ADVC analog to digital converter which is attached to a
> firewire card.
>
> Regards Brian

Divx is a slow codec if you want quality from it. You can adjust its codec
properties so it encodes faster - but then you are defeating its main
purpose - to provide best compression. Your ability to send the video to
the computer means nothing. The converter plug-in just allows the computer
to "see" the video.

Absolute fastes is uncompressed avi. But I want to suggest something. See
if VirtualDub (www.virtualdub.org) can pick up the card under capture
settings. If it can (and this is freeware mind you that is great) then use
MPEG-4 for capture from Microsoft. It is fast enough to capture real-time,
but will be a tad larger than DIVX. DIVX is a hack of MS MPEG-4, but was
done for best compression back in the day before folks had DSL.

Now no real reason to be stuck with a slow codec with DSL - unless you
really need to squeeze every inch out of something to make a small file.
Typically a DIVX file would be about 5% smaller than a MPEG-4 file - but
MPEG-4 captures real time and with DSL whats a few megs?

Obtain a copy of mpeg4fix or similar off the net and you will be able to
capture in real-time using the original mpeg-4 from Microsoft - not a hack
from DIVX.

cya

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:53:37 GMT) it happened TruBlu
<Tru@bad.com> wrote in <Xns96138CF57D86ATrubadcom@non.com>:

>Absolute fastes is uncompressed avi. But I want to suggest something. See
>if VirtualDub (www.virtualdub.org) can pick up the card under capture
>settings. If it can (and this is freeware mind you that is great) then use
>MPEG-4 for capture from Microsoft. It is fast enough to capture real-time,
>but will be a tad larger than DIVX. DIVX is a hack of MS MPEG-4, but was
>done for best compression back in the day before folks had DSL.
A lot has changed since that day with DivX I think!
www.divx.com
Microsoft is an evil monopoly anyways.
And their formats changes daily, so I would avoid that.

TRENDING THREADS