Say I've had this game for a while. It came with my ATI video
card.

Anyway after 2 years I just loaded it and I really like it.

I think I need some patches and info on routers ports to open.

Is there a FAQ somewhere?

If not here is what is confusing me.

The readme.txt tells me I have...

Half-Life Counter Strike
Version 1.0.0.3
9/24/01

But the manual says...

Counter-Strike 1.3 manual
8/27/01

In doing some googling I see several versions of patches
available all the way up to 1.4, IIRC. I did find a site...

http://www.counter-strike.net/cswizard1.html

That said I actually have "CS Game of the Year" edition.
--
EMAIL - rsgibson@verizon.borg
Replace borg with net in above

* Ron Gibson <rsgibson@verizon.net> [alt.games.half-life.counterstrike]:
> Say I've had this game for a while. It came with my ATI video
> card.

What game? Half-Life (HL) or Counter-Strike Retail (CS-R)?
If you are talking about HL, and if you want to play Counter-Strike, you
can download the mod version (an addon to the original HL game).
Did you get a CD-Key with it? If not, you will not be able to play
online.

> Anyway after 2 years I just loaded it and I really like it.
>
> I think I need some patches and info on routers ports to open.

Yes, you do. The latest version of Half-Life is 1.1.1.0 if you want to
play without Steam(1). The latest version of Counter-Strike is 1.5 (mod
version) if you want to play without Steam(1). There are plenty of
mirrors of those files.

Those versions of the game, however, are being phased out in the next
few days!! They used an authentication system referred to as WON, which
is being retired.

(1) - The *real* latest version of CS is 1.6 and uses a "new"
authentication system called Steam (actually more than an auth system).
Visit http://www.steampowered.com for more info.

If what you want is to play CS, visit Steam website, download steam and
the cstrike cache (expect a few hundred Mb), and you will be off and
running. Be careful of Counter-Strike Condition Zero, that is a
different game, single player, and you will have to pay for that one.

I think, if you have a paid version of HL or CS-R with a CD Key, you
should be able to download steam and HL and CS caches for free. Could
be wrong, but you should be OK.

About router ports etc,
http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=howto&show=linux#router
but this really applies to servers. If you just want to play games, you
would generally be ok if your router allows NAT.

Yep. Above website, or http://www.counter-strike.net

> If not here is what is confusing me.
>
> The readme.txt tells me I have...
>
> Half-Life Counter Strike
> Version 1.0.0.3
> 9/24/01
>
> But the manual says...
>
> Counter-Strike 1.3 manual
> 8/27/01

Forget about that stuff, all way out of date anyhow. I think it was a
typo in the manual.

> In doing some googling I see several versions of patches
> available all the way up to 1.4, IIRC. I did find a site...
>
> http://www.counter-strike.net/cswizard1.html
>
> That said I actually have "CS Game of the Year" edition.

Aah, maybe it is the CS Retail version you have, but the above advice
still applies. I hope for your sake you have the CD Key, sounds like
you do.

Happy gaming.

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : usenet-experiment@piggo.com

"Ron Gibson" <rsgibson@verizon.net> wrote in message

http://www.steampowered.com/

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:25:21 +0000, Troy Piggins wrote:

>> Say I've had this game for a while. It came with my ATI video
>> card.

> What game? Half-Life (HL) or Counter-Strike Retail (CS-R)?

That's below and yes I do have a CD key :)

> Yes, you do. The latest version of Half-Life is 1.1.1.0 if you want to
> play without Steam(1). The latest version of Counter-Strike is 1.5 (mod
> version) if you want to play without Steam(1). There are plenty of
> mirrors of those files.

OK. I have that patch but for (1.1.1.0) but every time I try to apply it
it says I have a non-English version :(

Trust me, English was hard enough.

Might be because I installed in in a custom named directory (/strike).
Since I have good backup I can easily remove it and do a default install
for the directory name.

I'm an old timer that grew up on Doom and Heretic. I like the first
person shooter thing. But there is only one "level" I can play with what I
got now. Tried to install darkstar and cant figure one what goes where
and my installer is broken.

I don't mind paying for a good game. No problem there. but if I can patch
this one up a few versions first that would be great and I'd still buy a
newer version.

So you have a great answer and thanx :)

I'll get on it right now and see what I can accomplish. I'll check back
if I'm still stuck. If it's possible to do I'll get it done - I'm a game
noob but an advanced PC user, which BTW I see some stuff about it running
in Linux (Have windows too).

Your post is archived for reference in this.

Again tanks :)
--
Now with more Penguin :)
Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
Replace borg with net

* Ron Gibson <rsgibson@verizon.net> [alt.games.half-life.counterstrike]:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:25:21 +0000, Troy Piggins wrote:
>
>>> Say I've had this game for a while. It came with my ATI video
>>> card.
>
>> What game? Half-Life (HL) or Counter-Strike Retail (CS-R)?
>
> That's below and yes I do have a CD key :)
>
>> Yes, you do. The latest version of Half-Life is 1.1.1.0 if you want to
>> play without Steam(1). The latest version of Counter-Strike is 1.5 (mod
>> version) if you want to play without Steam(1). There are plenty of
>> mirrors of those files.
>
> OK. I have that patch but for (1.1.1.0) but every time I try to apply it
> it says I have a non-English version :(
>
> Trust me, English was hard enough.

Careful. Take note of what I said about the different versions of CS.
I haven't been there for a while, so just looked at steampowered
website. Looks like you will need to download Steam, and that is all
you can do.

> Might be because I installed in in a custom named directory (/strike).
> Since I have good backup I can easily remove it and do a default install
> for the directory name.
>
> I'm an old timer that grew up on Doom and Heretic. I like the first
> person shooter thing. But there is only one "level" I can play with what I
> got now. Tried to install darkstar and cant figure one what goes where
> and my installer is broken.

I am an old-timer too - 33 ;-)

--

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:27:22 +1200, Ian wrote:

>>That version has more single player time (levels, wads, games whatever
>>they are called now) right?

> You can play CS & CZ on Steam with a CZ key, plus the new models in the
> Steam CZ are groovy!

Sounds good to me :)

Check shopping.yahoo.com

They have it for about $27 delivered

Incase you don't know this already, counter strike is a pure multiplayer
game. What Conddition Zero brought into the game was a single player
component. When you buy CZ, you actually get several things. Condition
Zero went through several developers, and a couple entirely different game
concepts before the final product was released. As such, you basically get
two games in one.

The main game introduces "the Official CS Bot". Long story short, you're
going to be playing the same game that you play online with Bots as
teammates and opponents. Also as a part of your missinos, not only do you
have to defeat the opposing side as normal, but you also have to perform
special tasks, such as killing 3 people with a pistol without dying,
winning a round in 60 seconds, or killing a flash-banged enemy.

The other "game" that you'll get with CZ is what they call the "Deleted
Scenes". This is one of the previous game concepts that got scrapped.
However, the ydecided to include it for the sake of variety. In this game,
you'll basically be playng a standard first person shooter with a plot
line and scripted sequences (similar to Quake 2, Doom, Heretic, etc.).
There are the ideas of Counter-Strike mixed in (such as some missions are
about rescuing hostages, or you may haveto fidn a bomb and defuse it), but
it in no way reflects what the game play is like in the "real" version.
This is one reason why it was scrapped.

Anyways, I hope this gives you a good idea what CZ is all about.

Evan