Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WMV files, how do I use them?

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:56:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks, any
help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.

John

More about : wmv files

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:56:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Try Google. search on "joining wmv files"
Tons of information.
rqo

"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
news:112i7vq71knl620@corp.supernews.com...
> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
> correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
> work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
> any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
>
> John
>
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:56:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"JMC" wrote ...
> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect
> wmv files or the correct way to d/l them. I can get the first
> such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't
> know what to do with d/l, import, capture. Music files I
> understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks, any help most
> appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.

This doesn't make as much sense as you might think, at least
with nearly zero context. Are you trying to download these
files from somewhere? Do you know that they are fragments
of a larger file? How do you know? If someone broke it up
for downloading, etc. Do they not offer instructions for re-
assembly?

A URL of where you are trying to download from would go
a long ways toward helping people understand what you are
trying to do.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:08:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

A lot of large .wmv files are broken up into parts to upload due to various
reasons. File size restrictions placed by the server comes to mind. You
can download the "parts', but they must be "reassembled" to put the file
back together. It is common on a lot of video newsgroups. Some news
readers can put it all back together for you, while others, must use an
outside application or utility to do the assembly for you.

rqo

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
news:112if5vqkogqs76@corp.supernews.com...
> "JMC" wrote ...
>> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or
>> the correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5)
>> to work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
>> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
>> any help most
>> appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
>
> This doesn't make as much sense as you might think, at least with nearly
> zero context. Are you trying to download these
> files from somewhere? Do you know that they are fragments
> of a larger file? How do you know? If someone broke it up
> for downloading, etc. Do they not offer instructions for re-
> assembly?
>
> A URL of where you are trying to download from would go
> a long ways toward helping people understand what you are
> trying to do.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:08:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"rqo" wrote ...
>A lot of large .wmv files are broken up into parts to upload due to
>various reasons. File size restrictions placed by the server comes to
>mind. You can download the "parts', but they must be "reassembled" to
>put the file back together. It is common on a lot of video newsgroups.
>Some news readers can put it all back together for you, while others,
>must use an outside application or utility to do the assembly for you.

You are assuming he is talking about getting these files from a
newsgroup. He didn't say that, and I'm not willing to make that
kind of assumption. If people don't adequately explain their
question, they won't get satisfactory responses. Speculation is
a waste of everyone's time.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:35:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Well...the way in which he described the files numbering/parts led me to
believe that he needed help in joining downloads from a newsgroup. That's
the way they are split. Besides, it didn't waste my time to try and answer
him.

I'll wager that if the original poster responds, we've solved his situation.
Another speculation on my part......

rqo

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
news:112igg9q4kra5a3@corp.supernews.com...
> "rqo" wrote ...
>>A lot of large .wmv files are broken up into parts to upload due to
>>various reasons. File size restrictions placed by the server comes to
>>mind. You can download the "parts', but they must be "reassembled" to put
>>the file back together. It is common on a lot of video newsgroups. Some
>>news readers can put it all back together for you, while others, must use
>>an outside application or utility to do the assembly for you.
>
> You are assuming he is talking about getting these files from a
> newsgroup. He didn't say that, and I'm not willing to make that
> kind of assumption. If people don't adequately explain their
> question, they won't get satisfactory responses. Speculation is
> a waste of everyone's time.
>
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 4:14:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

To all those great e-mails indicating I didn't explain what I wanted...Don't
know how much plainer I could have been..d/l usually mean from the internet,
or someone's server and going to Google didn't answer my questions (maybe I
asked the wrong question...), all it came up with was programs to add, edit
and splice the files which I know how to do if I create them, it's the ones
that someone posts on the net in a series, as I mentioned in my original
post, that I wanted to know what do I do to obtain them, as all d/l does is
give me all the raw data, how to I save it to my computer, import it or
what? I'm sorry I didn't go to Internet d/l school and take the Microsoft
course in MMaker, went to med school instead, maybe you can help me do open
heart surgery next week....
"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
news:112i7vq71knl620@corp.supernews.com...
> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
> correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
> work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
> any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
>
> John
>
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 10:42:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"JMC" wrote ...
> To all those great e-mails indicating I didn't explain what I
> wanted...Don't know how much plainer I could have been..d/l usually
> mean from the internet, or someone's server and going to Google didn't
> answer my questions (maybe I asked the wrong question...), all it came
> up with was programs to add, edit and splice the files which I know
> how to do if I create them, it's the ones that someone posts on the
> net in a series, as I mentioned in my original post, that I wanted to
> know what do I do to obtain them, as all d/l does is give me all the
> raw data, how to I save it to my computer, import it or what? I'm
> sorry I didn't go to Internet d/l school and take the Microsoft course
> in MMaker, went to med school instead, maybe you can help me do open
> heart surgery next week....

Well, doc, we don't know enough about your symptoms to do a
definitive differential diagnosis. We still don't know what YOU
mean by "download", for example. Presumably you are more
conscientious with your surgery cases.

We don't know if you are using a web browser (like MS Internet
Explorer) to click on http links of files people are offering online,
or whether you are using your newsreader (like MS Outlook
Express) to grab newsgroup postings which are typically broken
up into sections because of the limitations of the thousands of
news servers around the planet.

You may think that you have adequately described your issue,
but to people who perhaps have a broader vew of internet use,
we are struggling to understand exacctly what you are doing
here. Your brief descriptions could logically be applied to
several very different methods of grabbing files. We could just
pick one at random, but that has a better likelyhood of increasing
your confusion rather than helping you.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:05:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I am making some assumptions here. Try this and post the results.

Having files named 1/5 2/5 etc suggests they are either parts of a
series (like 'how to build a birdfeeder part 1 etc) or sections of a
single movie sectioned for size.

xxx.wmv is a windows format for video files.


assuming you have downloaded the file(s) to your computer and you have
5 seperate wmv files.

double click on the file and it should open windows media player and
play the file.

if some other application starts your file assocciations are pointing
to a different application.

open windows media player , select the wmv file and try to play it.

If it does add all the files to windows media player and set up a
playlist for all 5 files.



That should play them in sequence.

If that looks right you can load the files into windows movie maker and
render a new file that combines all the others.

There are a number of video file joiners but I do not remember one for
wmv.

If this does not make any sense to you please post a link to the files
you are trying to get.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that has
that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With a stable
of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of software,
Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER, downloading from
newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why I'm looking for a site
that covers the majority of issues and questions dealing with Movie Maker
and related files, and not Microsoft's site, nor a consult. I want to read
all about it, so I can solve my own issues, when I have the time to read.
If I want to burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go step by step, using
various versions of software, and answering various questions, that's what
I'm looking for. In checking with some users of this group who posted
questions of the same nature for other issues related to video, most of
them, say people sent them to the appropriate web sites, that's all I
requested. Thank you.

John
"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
news:112i7vq71knl620@corp.supernews.com...
> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
> correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
> work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
> any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
>
> John
>
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:55:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

http://signup.usenet.com/usenetnew/newToUsenet.htm

rqo

"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
news:112jsligv76da87@corp.supernews.com...
> My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that has
> that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With a
> stable of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of
> software, Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER, downloading
> from newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why I'm looking for
> a site that covers the majority of issues and questions dealing with
> Movie Maker and related files, and not Microsoft's site, nor a consult. I
> want to read all about it, so I can solve my own issues, when I have the
> time to read. If I want to burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go step
> by step, using various versions of software, and answering various
> questions, that's what I'm looking for. In checking with some users of
> this group who posted questions of the same nature for other issues
> related to video, most of them, say people sent them to the appropriate
> web sites, that's all I requested. Thank you.
>
> John
> "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
> news:112i7vq71knl620@corp.supernews.com...
>> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or
>> the correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5)
>> to work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
>> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
>> any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
>>
>> John
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:55:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
news:112jsligv76da87@corp.supernews.com...
> My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that
> has that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With
> a stable of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of
> software, Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER,
> downloading from newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why
> I'm looking for a site that covers the majority of issues and
> questions dealing with Movie Maker and related files, and not
> Microsoft's site, nor a consult. I want to read all about it, so I
> can solve my own issues, when I have the time to read. If I want to
> burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go step by step, using various
> versions of software, and answering various questions, that's what I'm
> looking for. In checking with some users of this group who posted
> questions of the same nature for other issues related to video, most
> of them, say people sent them to the appropriate web sites, that's all
> I requested. Thank you.

www.videohelp.com

Do you have a site you can recommend for general surgery?
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 8:27:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces, give www.my.webmd.com a
try for plain English. If that doesn't get you your answer try either of
these www.absurgery.org or www.ama-assn.org. Thanks for the site.
"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
news:112k6dlhsa8hp04@corp.supernews.com...
John
>
> "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
> news:112jsligv76da87@corp.supernews.com...
>> My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that
>> has that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With a
>> stable of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of
>> software, Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER, downloading
>> from newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why I'm looking
>> for a site that covers the majority of issues and questions dealing with
>> Movie Maker and related files, and not Microsoft's site, nor a consult.
>> I want to read all about it, so I can solve my own issues, when I have
>> the time to read. If I want to burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go
>> step by step, using various versions of software, and answering various
>> questions, that's what I'm looking for. In checking with some users of
>> this group who posted questions of the same nature for other issues
>> related to video, most of them, say people sent them to the appropriate
>> web sites, that's all I requested. Thank you.
>
> www.videohelp.com
>
> Do you have a site you can recommend for general surgery?
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:13:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"JMC" wrote ...
> Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces,

Thanks. BTW, almost nobody uses their real email addresses here
because of the pervasive use of email address harvester bots by
spammers. Most Usenet users don't expect email responses to
newsgroup postings.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:34:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
news:112m7ghaaq2si0a@corp.supernews.com...
> "JMC" wrote ...
>> Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces,
>
> Thanks. BTW, almost nobody uses their real email addresses here
> because of the pervasive use of email address harvester bots by
> spammers. Most Usenet users don't expect email responses to
> newsgroup postings.

Yes good advice.And to add to that advice (from one medico to another)
consider using a disposable address and then alter it in some obvious way to
make it correctable to human eyes e.g. jmc@<deletethis>yahoo.com

Sam
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:29:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:34:08 GMT, "Sam Lewis"
<Sam@delete.dsst.privasend.com> wrote:

>
>"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>news:112m7ghaaq2si0a@corp.supernews.com...
>> "JMC" wrote ...
>>> Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces,
>>
>> Thanks. BTW, almost nobody uses their real email addresses here
>> because of the pervasive use of email address harvester bots by
>> spammers. Most Usenet users don't expect email responses to
>> newsgroup postings.
>
>Yes good advice.And to add to that advice (from one medico to another)
>consider using a disposable address and then alter it in some obvious way to
>make it correctable to human eyes e.g. jmc@<deletethis>yahoo.com
>
>Sam
>
Papajohn's page is excellent:
http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html

Dave
March 9, 2005 11:39:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:56:56 -0500, "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote:

>Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
>correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
>work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
>capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks, any
>help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
>
>John
>


this sounds like you are using newsgroups to download video files. I
can only suggest that you get a good newsreader to do this. Agent
from Forte software is a good one. If the files are in pieces 1/5,
2/5 , 3/5 etc. Agent attempts to join them for you. I believe the
header of the first file contains the information which allows media
player to play the first file. Each subsequent file is only a partial
file which doesn't contain the information which is why THOSE files
won't play.

So, to sum it up, get a good newsreader and once the .wmv files are
playable, you can load them into MS Moviemaker and create longer
files..or edit them as you wish.

I hope that helped..
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:04:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Many news readers will assemble these for you. In outlook use right click
and "combine&decode" after all sections are selected.


"JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
news:112i7vq71knl620@corp.supernews.com...
> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
> correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
> work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
> any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
>
> John
>
!