WMV files, how do I use them?

Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks, any
help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.

John
17 answers Last reply
More about files them

    Try Google. search on "joining wmv files"
    Tons of information.
    rqo

    "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
    > correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
    > work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
    > capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
    > any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
    >
    > John

    "JMC" wrote ...
    > Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect
    > wmv files or the correct way to d/l them. I can get the first
    > such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't
    > know what to do with d/l, import, capture. Music files I
    > understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks, any help most
    > appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.

    This doesn't make as much sense as you might think, at least
    with nearly zero context. Are you trying to download these
    files from somewhere? Do you know that they are fragments
    of a larger file? How do you know? If someone broke it up
    for downloading, etc. Do they not offer instructions for re-
    assembly?

    A URL of where you are trying to download from would go
    a long ways toward helping people understand what you are
    trying to do.

    A lot of large .wmv files are broken up into parts to upload due to various
    reasons. File size restrictions placed by the server comes to mind. You
    can download the "parts', but they must be "reassembled" to put the file
    back together. It is common on a lot of video newsgroups. Some news
    readers can put it all back together for you, while others, must use an
    outside application or utility to do the assembly for you.

    rqo

    > "JMC" wrote ...
    >> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or
    >> the correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5)
    >> to work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
    >> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
    >> any help most
    >> appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
    >
    > This doesn't make as much sense as you might think, at least with nearly
    > zero context. Are you trying to download these
    > files from somewhere? Do you know that they are fragments
    > of a larger file? How do you know? If someone broke it up
    > for downloading, etc. Do they not offer instructions for re-
    > assembly?
    >
    > A URL of where you are trying to download from would go
    > a long ways toward helping people understand what you are
    > trying to do.

    "rqo" wrote ...
    >A lot of large .wmv files are broken up into parts to upload due to
    >various reasons. File size restrictions placed by the server comes to
    >mind. You can download the "parts', but they must be "reassembled" to
    >put the file back together. It is common on a lot of video newsgroups.
    >Some news readers can put it all back together for you, while others,
    >must use an outside application or utility to do the assembly for you.

    You are assuming he is talking about getting these files from a
    newsgroup. He didn't say that, and I'm not willing to make that
    kind of assumption. If people don't adequately explain their
    question, they won't get satisfactory responses. Speculation is
    a waste of everyone's time.

    Well...the way in which he described the files numbering/parts led me to
    believe that he needed help in joining downloads from a newsgroup. That's
    the way they are split. Besides, it didn't waste my time to try and answer
    him.

    I'll wager that if the original poster responds, we've solved his situation.
    Another speculation on my part......

    rqo

    > "rqo" wrote ...
    >>A lot of large .wmv files are broken up into parts to upload due to
    >>various reasons. File size restrictions placed by the server comes to
    >>mind. You can download the "parts', but they must be "reassembled" to put
    >>the file back together. It is common on a lot of video newsgroups. Some
    >>news readers can put it all back together for you, while others, must use
    >>an outside application or utility to do the assembly for you.
    >
    > You are assuming he is talking about getting these files from a
    > newsgroup. He didn't say that, and I'm not willing to make that
    > kind of assumption. If people don't adequately explain their
    > question, they won't get satisfactory responses. Speculation is
    > a waste of everyone's time.

    To all those great e-mails indicating I didn't explain what I wanted...Don't
    know how much plainer I could have been..d/l usually mean from the internet,
    or someone's server and going to Google didn't answer my questions (maybe I
    asked the wrong question...), all it came up with was programs to add, edit
    and splice the files which I know how to do if I create them, it's the ones
    that someone posts on the net in a series, as I mentioned in my original
    post, that I wanted to know what do I do to obtain them, as all d/l does is
    give me all the raw data, how to I save it to my computer, import it or
    what? I'm sorry I didn't go to Internet d/l school and take the Microsoft
    course in MMaker, went to med school instead, maybe you can help me do open
    heart surgery next week....
    "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
    > correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
    > work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
    > capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
    > any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
    >
    > John

    "JMC" wrote ...
    > To all those great e-mails indicating I didn't explain what I
    > wanted...Don't know how much plainer I could have been..d/l usually
    > mean from the internet, or someone's server and going to Google didn't
    > answer my questions (maybe I asked the wrong question...), all it came
    > up with was programs to add, edit and splice the files which I know
    > how to do if I create them, it's the ones that someone posts on the
    > net in a series, as I mentioned in my original post, that I wanted to
    > know what do I do to obtain them, as all d/l does is give me all the
    > raw data, how to I save it to my computer, import it or what? I'm
    > sorry I didn't go to Internet d/l school and take the Microsoft course
    > in MMaker, went to med school instead, maybe you can help me do open
    > heart surgery next week....

    Well, doc, we don't know enough about your symptoms to do a
    definitive differential diagnosis. We still don't know what YOU
    mean by "download", for example. Presumably you are more
    conscientious with your surgery cases.

    We don't know if you are using a web browser (like MS Internet
    Explorer) to click on http links of files people are offering online,
    or whether you are using your newsreader (like MS Outlook
    Express) to grab newsgroup postings which are typically broken
    up into sections because of the limitations of the thousands of
    news servers around the planet.

    You may think that you have adequately described your issue,
    but to people who perhaps have a broader vew of internet use,
    we are struggling to understand exacctly what you are doing
    here. Your brief descriptions could logically be applied to
    several very different methods of grabbing files. We could just
    pick one at random, but that has a better likelyhood of increasing
    your confusion rather than helping you.

    I am making some assumptions here. Try this and post the results.

    Having files named 1/5 2/5 etc suggests they are either parts of a
    series (like 'how to build a birdfeeder part 1 etc) or sections of a
    single movie sectioned for size.

    xxx.wmv is a windows format for video files.

    assuming you have downloaded the file(s) to your computer and you have
    5 seperate wmv files.

    double click on the file and it should open windows media player and
    play the file.

    if some other application starts your file assocciations are pointing
    to a different application.

    open windows media player , select the wmv file and try to play it.

    If it does add all the files to windows media player and set up a
    playlist for all 5 files.

    That should play them in sequence.

    If that looks right you can load the files into windows movie maker and
    render a new file that combines all the others.

    There are a number of video file joiners but I do not remember one for
    wmv.

    If this does not make any sense to you please post a link to the files
    you are trying to get.

    My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that has
    that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With a stable
    of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of software,
    Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER, downloading from
    newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why I'm looking for a site
    that covers the majority of issues and questions dealing with Movie Maker
    and related files, and not Microsoft's site, nor a consult. I want to read
    all about it, so I can solve my own issues, when I have the time to read.
    If I want to burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go step by step, using
    various versions of software, and answering various questions, that's what
    I'm looking for. In checking with some users of this group who posted
    questions of the same nature for other issues related to video, most of
    them, say people sent them to the appropriate web sites, that's all I
    requested. Thank you.

    John

    http://signup.usenet.com/usenetnew/newToUsenet.htm

    > My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that has
    > that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With a
    > stable of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of
    > software, Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER, downloading
    > from newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why I'm looking for
    > a site that covers the majority of issues and questions dealing with
    > Movie Maker and related files, and not Microsoft's site, nor a consult. I
    > want to read all about it, so I can solve my own issues, when I have the
    > time to read. If I want to burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go step
    > by step, using various versions of software, and answering various
    > questions, that's what I'm looking for. In checking with some users of
    > this group who posted questions of the same nature for other issues
    > related to video, most of them, say people sent them to the appropriate
    > web sites, that's all I requested. Thank you.
    >
    > John
    > "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
    >> Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or
    >> the correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5)
    >> to work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
    >> capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
    >> any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
    >>
    >> John

    "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
    > My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that
    > has that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With
    > a stable of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of
    > software, Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER,
    > downloading from newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why
    > I'm looking for a site that covers the majority of issues and
    > questions dealing with Movie Maker and related files, and not
    > Microsoft's site, nor a consult. I want to read all about it, so I
    > can solve my own issues, when I have the time to read. If I want to
    > burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go step by step, using various
    > versions of software, and answering various questions, that's what I'm
    > looking for. In checking with some users of this group who posted
    > questions of the same nature for other issues related to video, most
    > of them, say people sent them to the appropriate web sites, that's all
    > I requested. Thank you.

    www.videohelp.com

    Do you have a site you can recommend for general surgery?

    Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces, give www.my.webmd.com a
    try for plain English. If that doesn't get you your answer try either of
    these www.absurgery.org or www.ama-assn.org. Thanks for the site.
    John

    > "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
    >> My original request, as is now, was to please direct me to a SITE that
    >> has that type of information I requested, and that's all I need. With a
    >> stable of computers, both IBM & Apple, and using all variations of
    >> software, Explorer, Outlook, & many others EXCEPT MESSENGER, downloading
    >> from newsgroups as well as web pages and URL's, that's why I'm looking
    >> for a site that covers the majority of issues and questions dealing with
    >> Movie Maker and related files, and not Microsoft's site, nor a consult.
    >> I want to read all about it, so I can solve my own issues, when I have
    >> the time to read. If I want to burn a VCD or DVD there are sites that go
    >> step by step, using various versions of software, and answering various
    >> questions, that's what I'm looking for. In checking with some users of
    >> this group who posted questions of the same nature for other issues
    >> related to video, most of them, say people sent them to the appropriate
    >> web sites, that's all I requested. Thank you.
    >
    > www.videohelp.com
    >
    > Do you have a site you can recommend for general surgery?

    "JMC" wrote ...
    > Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces,

    Thanks. BTW, almost nobody uses their real email addresses here
    because of the pervasive use of email address harvester bots by
    spammers. Most Usenet users don't expect email responses to
    newsgroup postings.

    > "JMC" wrote ...
    >> Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces,
    >
    > Thanks. BTW, almost nobody uses their real email addresses here
    > because of the pervasive use of email address harvester bots by
    > spammers. Most Usenet users don't expect email responses to
    > newsgroup postings.

    Yes good advice.And to add to that advice (from one medico to another)
    consider using a disposable address and then alter it in some obvious way to
    make it correctable to human eyes e.g. jmc@<deletethis>yahoo.com

    Sam

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:34:08 GMT, "Sam Lewis"
    <Sam@delete.dsst.privasend.com> wrote:

    >"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
    >> "JMC" wrote ...
    >>> Richard, just incase the e-mail I sent you bounces,
    >>
    >> Thanks. BTW, almost nobody uses their real email addresses here
    >> because of the pervasive use of email address harvester bots by
    >> spammers. Most Usenet users don't expect email responses to
    >> newsgroup postings.
    >
    >Yes good advice.And to add to that advice (from one medico to another)
    >consider using a disposable address and then alter it in some obvious way to
    >make it correctable to human eyes e.g. jmc@<deletethis>yahoo.com
    >
    >Sam

    Papajohn's page is excellent:
    http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html

    Dave

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:56:56 -0500, "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote:

    >Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
    >correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
    >work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
    >capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks, any
    >help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
    >
    >John

    this sounds like you are using newsgroups to download video files. I
    can only suggest that you get a good newsreader to do this. Agent
    from Forte software is a good one. If the files are in pieces 1/5,
    2/5 , 3/5 etc. Agent attempts to join them for you. I believe the
    header of the first file contains the information which allows media
    player to play the first file. Each subsequent file is only a partial
    file which doesn't contain the information which is why THOSE files
    won't play.

    So, to sum it up, get a good newsreader and once the .wmv files are
    playable, you can load them into MS Moviemaker and create longer
    files..or edit them as you wish.

    I hope that helped..

    Many news readers will assemble these for you. In outlook use right click
    and "combine&decode" after all sections are selected.

    "JMC" <jmc@axom.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone direct me to a site that tells how to connect wmv files or the
    > correct way to d/l them. I can get the first such as thewho.wmv(1/5) to
    > work, it's the 2/5 thru 5/5 I don't know what to do with d/l, import,
    > capture. Music files I understand, it's the video one I don't. Thanks,
    > any help most appreciated as the Microsoft site hasn't helped much.
    >
    > John

Tuner Cards Video Graphics