Remote Desktop doesn't fully support OpenGL ?

February 19, 2005 10:18:55 PM

http://www.k00m.sexidude.com/TanksODEv5.rar

the games can be played in full screen mode when run from local

but can't be played from remote desktop. Slow is not the problem, but
some part of screen become blank.

February 19, 2005 10:18:56 PM

Mary wrote:
> http://www.k00m.sexidude.com/TanksODEv5.rar
>
> the games can be played in full screen mode when run from local
>
> but can't be played from remote desktop. Slow is not the problem, but
> some part of screen become blank.

Why would anyone start wanting to play games over RDC is beyond me. Still
confuses me when people want to play music over it even.

However - if you see anything at all, then not supporting it cannot be you
problem.. Sounds more like slow or not enough data (your experience setting)
is being sent/requested. Adjust your Experience level in the Options. LAN
maybe?

--
<- Shenan ->
February 20, 2005 10:45:40 PM

i am not intended to play games in Remote Desktop , the fps can only
be 1-2.

Just wanna test the support of Remote Desktop with OpenGL.

Not only full screen having problems, even for non - full screen,
static OpenGL 3D image (doesn't use too much bandwidth, right ?),
Remote Desktop also does not support it fully.

eg. http://www.acad.polyu.edu.hk/~02471629d/newsgroup%20han...

just a small program written in GLScene (OpenGL component of Delphi)

run it in 1024x768.

Then move the window of program to the middle side of screen. You
will find that some part of window is black in color.

I tried it in 2 different comptuers , same result occurs. Such problem
only occurs when the program is executed in Remote Desktop.

ps: For music part, it is quite useful to play mp3 directly in Remote
Desktop, i don't think it is a confusing concept at all. And Remote
Desktop has done a quite good job on it. I can play mp3 directly in
Remote Desktop when i connect to my home computer from university,
maybe because we connect to internet by 10Mb/s cable :p

--

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:o 6OemiqFFHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Mary wrote:
>> http://www.k00m.sexidude.com/TanksODEv5.rar
>>
>> the games can be played in full screen mode when run from local
>>
>> but can't be played from remote desktop. Slow is not the problem,
>> but
>> some part of screen become blank.
>
> Why would anyone start wanting to play games over RDC is beyond me.
> Still confuses me when people want to play music over it even.
>
> However - if you see anything at all, then not supporting it cannot
> be you problem.. Sounds more like slow or not enough data (your
> experience setting) is being sent/requested. Adjust your Experience
> level in the Options. LAN maybe?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research
> for

February 20, 2005 10:45:41 PM

Mary wrote:
> i am not intended to play games in Remote Desktop , the fps can only
> be 1-2.
>
> Just wanna test the support of Remote Desktop with OpenGL.
>
> Not only full screen having problems, even for non - full screen,
> static OpenGL 3D image (doesn't use too much bandwidth, right ?),
> Remote Desktop also does not support it fully.
>
> eg. http://www.acad.polyu.edu.hk/~02471629d/newsgroup%20han...
>
> just a small program written in GLScene (OpenGL component of Delphi)
>
> run it in 1024x768.
>
> Then move the window of program to the middle side of screen. You
> will find that some part of window is black in color.
>
> I tried it in 2 different comptuers , same result occurs. Such problem
> only occurs when the program is executed in Remote Desktop.

Same will occur with some video drivers and dual monitors..
Upgrade your video driver.

> ps: For music part, it is quite useful to play mp3 directly in Remote
> Desktop, i don't think it is a confusing concept at all. And Remote
> Desktop has done a quite good job on it. I can play mp3 directly in
> Remote Desktop when i connect to my home computer from university,
> maybe because we connect to internet by 10Mb/s cable :p

I use 100Mbit cable in most cases. I would still just map the drive and
play it using the computer I am sitting at. heh

--
<- Shenan ->
February 20, 2005 11:32:56 PM

Remember that Remote Desktop creates a "virtual display adapter". I
don't think that the RDP driver fully supports OpenGL... It does
support at least a subset of DirectX, though...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:04:15 -0600, "Shenan Stanley"
<news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote:

>Mary wrote:
>> i am not intended to play games in Remote Desktop , the fps can only
>> be 1-2.
>>
>> Just wanna test the support of Remote Desktop with OpenGL.
>>
>> Not only full screen having problems, even for non - full screen,
>> static OpenGL 3D image (doesn't use too much bandwidth, right ?),
>> Remote Desktop also does not support it fully.
>>
>> eg. http://www.acad.polyu.edu.hk/~02471629d/newsgroup%20han...
>>
>> just a small program written in GLScene (OpenGL component of Delphi)
>>
>> run it in 1024x768.
>>
>> Then move the window of program to the middle side of screen. You
>> will find that some part of window is black in color.
>>
>> I tried it in 2 different comptuers , same result occurs. Such problem
>> only occurs when the program is executed in Remote Desktop.
>
>Same will occur with some video drivers and dual monitors..
>Upgrade your video driver.
>
>> ps: For music part, it is quite useful to play mp3 directly in Remote
>> Desktop, i don't think it is a confusing concept at all. And Remote
>> Desktop has done a quite good job on it. I can play mp3 directly in
>> Remote Desktop when i connect to my home computer from university,
>> maybe because we connect to internet by 10Mb/s cable :p
>
>I use 100Mbit cable in most cases. I would still just map the drive and
>play it using the computer I am sitting at. heh
>
>--
><- Shenan ->
February 21, 2005 6:34:34 PM

i see, thanks for your information.