Sign in with
Your question
Closed

You Can Edit 4K Video on a MacBook Air (With a Red Rocket)

Last response: in News comments
January 30, 2012 2:07:12 PM

Excellent tool. Were I to pursue video editing, the Red Rocket seems like the way to go...
Score
January 30, 2012 2:14:28 PM

Can't read the article. All I see in my head is Cartman and that poor dog.
Score
Related resources
January 30, 2012 2:24:46 PM

Why?? Who can fully display a 4480x1920 video in all its glory anyways??? Multi-monitor set ups be damned with your black bars.
Score
January 30, 2012 2:26:53 PM

greghomeMacBook Air, Win 7 Ultimate? What's the point of getting a Mac then ?.....

Because of the available Thunderbolt connection?
Score
January 30, 2012 2:32:10 PM

JasonAkkermanBecause of the available Thunderbolt connection?

So the hard work was done by an external device, the hardware is basically an Intel based ultrabook, regardless of the manufacturer the only thing that makes it Mac is the OS, and that was replaced with Windows 7

Well done, nice job
Score
January 30, 2012 2:41:21 PM

Wonder how many 7970s you need to game at that res. haha. Maybe an octo-core to go with it (and based on toms sub $200 gaming CPU, I'm not referring to the fx line!)
Score
January 30, 2012 2:52:01 PM

Or you could buy a $4000 computer and really be able to do editing... But it's a neat (although expensive) way to do on-site dailys and quick edits.
Score
January 30, 2012 2:55:38 PM

mcd023Wonder how many 7970s you need to game at that res. haha. Maybe an octo-core to go with it (and based on toms sub $200 gaming CPU, I'm not referring to the fx line!)

one, I remember the 6970 was quite OK with 3x1080P, I think the 7970 will be the same with 4x1080P
The 7990 would be excellent as the 6990 was excellent with the 3x1080P so the 7990 should be excellent with 4x1080P

read the benchmarks

Quote:
Since you can't even play 4K video on any PC, most of us would not automatically come up with an idea to edit 12-megapixel resolution video on a Macbook Air.

actually the 7970 can play it (don't know about editing)
Score
Anonymous
January 30, 2012 3:00:22 PM

1700$ Air + 4750$ Red rocket box/card. Now its not porterbel any more. For the 6450$ i can buy a PC that can run it. So what the point. I fail to see it.
Score
January 30, 2012 3:02:13 PM

back_by_demandSo the hard work was done by an external device, the hardware is basically an Intel based ultrabook, regardless of the manufacturer the only thing that makes it Mac is the OS, and that was replaced with Windows 7Well done, nice job

To my knowledge there is no option for a Thunderbolt connection on a PC. That was my point.
Score
January 30, 2012 3:06:47 PM

Salumar1700$ Air + 4750$ Red rocket box/card. Now its not porterbel any more. For the 6450$ i can buy a PC that can run it. So what the point. I fail to see it.

The point is mobility.
You can't take a big workstation with you. This thing you can travel with.
Score
January 30, 2012 3:13:10 PM

why is 1920x1080 called 1080p but 4480x1920 called 4.5k. misleading much?
Score
January 30, 2012 3:16:35 PM

... that's may prove, that thunderboult is a nice tech, but it proves too, that intel haz s#!ty GPU to accelerate video...
Score
January 30, 2012 3:24:50 PM

Hope they get it at 60fps.
Score
January 30, 2012 3:26:32 PM

sinfulpotatoWhy?? Who can fully display a 4480x1920 video in all its glory anyways??? Multi-monitor set ups be damned with your black bars.

Very simple; in a few years 4K will come to the consumer market. And it would be nice if you can watch Baby's fist steps in 4K then.

Look at all the teenagers running around, when Dad gets out their digital Baby pics in (then) 640x480 they cringe. Oh Dad... nice memory, but what a crappy resolution.

In other words, even if we can not VIEW the resolution yet (within our budget, as monitors that can ARE available); it would be smart to record in as much resolution as we can. The displays will catch up !

Score
January 30, 2012 3:32:05 PM

wizloawhy is 1920x1080 called 1080p but 4480x1920 called 4.5k. misleading much?

The terminology (4k) comes from the Video world, not the computer world.
IT folk count lines, Video folk used to count lines in the analog days and switched to vertical resolution when going digital. Nothing misleading, simply another way at looking at thing.

Like Europeans drive in km/h and liters and Yanks in miles and Gallons :-)

Score
Anonymous
January 30, 2012 4:10:42 PM

"Since you can't even play 4K video on any PC, most of us would not automatically come up with an idea to edit 12-megapixel resolution video on a Macbook Air."

My calculator says 4480*1920 = 8.6MP, not 12.
Score
January 30, 2012 4:40:41 PM

Quote:
Since you can't even play 4K video on any PC

Not true. The Nvidia GT 520's video engine can playback 4k video, the output however is limited to 1080p.
Score
January 30, 2012 5:07:13 PM

so technically the laptop is only a terminal .. the hard work is still managed by a super duper powerfull unit. The title is so misleading ... better present it as Red Rocket able to work with the new Thunderbold enabled computers , not Mac Book air doing wonders in the pc industry with windows installed on it.
Score
January 30, 2012 5:27:50 PM

Why 4480x1920? That's such a weird resolution. 7:5?
Why not 4096x2160? It's about the same amount of pixels (slightly more) and it makes more sense.
Score
January 30, 2012 5:28:35 PM

truly revolutionary, the first external thunderbolt egpu in the market. not that apple did anything. thunderbolt is from intel, red rocket from red.
that's how the future will be. Anyway the card is bottlenecked by thunderbolt. No way it gives pci-e 2.0 x16 bandwidth. but it should give about 80% of the performance.
Score
January 30, 2012 5:45:44 PM

Red Rocket / great name
Score
January 30, 2012 5:55:26 PM

Yeah, of course 4k... what about giving us a 4k computer monitor first, at least a 30" IPS?
We don't necessarily use it for 4k video yet, but for photos, which are already way beyond this resolution.
Score
January 30, 2012 6:02:19 PM

This tersely written article smells of propaganda for iCrap. This has nothing to do with the McBook Air and more to do with an intel based ultra book running Windows 7. The length to which iCrap morons go to legitimize their trashy drm infested prisonware.

I love the line: "the Mac OS kicks @ss".

My response: Listen dimwit, I got a bridge to sell you in Florida!

Score
January 30, 2012 6:07:42 PM

tuch92Why 4480x1920? That's such a weird resolution. 7:5? Why not 4096x2160? It's about the same amount of pixels (slightly more) and it makes more sense.

It is a video production standard, not a PC resolution standard.
Score
January 30, 2012 6:09:09 PM

mikewongYeah, of course 4k... what about giving us a 4k computer monitor first, at least a 30" IPS?We don't necessarily use it for 4k video yet, but for photos, which are already way beyond this resolution.

They are available; just a bit on the expensive side :-)
High end studios usually have them.
Score
January 30, 2012 7:21:55 PM

first... i doubt that 4k will be coming to homes any time soon due to human ability to precieve higher than 1080p resolutions, it may come to japan sooner than america, just because they live in far smaller houses and sit much closer to the tv, to the extent that many programs have a stid back away from the tv warning in front of them. high resolutions like this need 80+inch screens just to start seeing that detail at 10 feet away, and over 120 inch to see it all.

that segways into projectors... at some point they will be common, when they tech is perfect, but home projectors still suffer from lighting issues. but projectors are where higher than 1080p shines (outside of pc monitors)

higher than 4k resolutions are mostly just thearter resolutions because of the massive screens, and how close you sit.

i know people dont like hearing this, but 1080p is a standard for a reason, they did the research to find out thats all the detail most people in the world will see... the only reason we are progressing further in a home market at all is because 60+ inch tvs are affordable.

on the pc side, we have always had higher resolution monitors because we sit close.
Score
January 30, 2012 7:55:32 PM

Red pisses me off. They charge far too much.
Score
January 30, 2012 8:03:50 PM

Misleading title and opening statement much?

Unless you read through the entire article, this gives the impression that macs run ultra high resolution video on moderate hardware when a PC can't do it on even the most powerful hardware.
Score
January 30, 2012 8:07:10 PM

Who the hell has a 4K TV, let alone a computer with a video card that can support 4K output to a TV hooked up to it? Seriously? Where is the connector to deliver a 4K signal to a single screen anyway?

This is a product with no market.
Score
January 30, 2012 8:22:07 PM

Quote:
Since you can't even play 4K video on any PC, most of us would not automatically come up with an idea to edit 12-megapixel resolution video on a Macbook Air.

*Looks in article, finds 4K video that plays flawlessly when downloaded*
*Finds online sample, works flawlessly*

....?
Score
January 30, 2012 8:47:42 PM

joytech22*Looks in article, finds 4K video that plays flawlessly when downloaded**Finds online sample, works flawlessly*....?

Most (if not all) GPU's only support a maximum output of 2560x1600.
It may be capable of rendering the video, but it isn't capable of outputting it to a 4K display, it would be scaled.
Score
January 30, 2012 8:57:37 PM

4k$ mac just to run this 30fps? i believe a PC at 2k$ can play that at 30fps.
Score
January 30, 2012 9:21:56 PM

CantisqueMost (if not all) GPU's only support a maximum output of 2560x1600.It may be capable of rendering the video, but it isn't capable of outputting it to a 4K display, it would be scaled.

Which is fine as this product is meant more for the editing side where full 4k previews are not necessarily needed (most hd video editing has been traditionally done at lower then source resolutions.). Again this is not that impressive as you can accomplish the same thing on a cheap Nvidia GT 520, With the next gen of cards soon to debut from nvidia which will carry the same decoder ability this product is pretty much DOA.
Score
January 30, 2012 9:22:52 PM

I thought this article was going to be about a dog peeing on a Macbook Pro...
Score
January 30, 2012 10:00:45 PM

Oh boy, the babbling Tom's "PC experts" come thundering in with "why", "what's the point", "why Mac", etc. etc.

Talk about a ton of BAD information.

1. Yes humans can distinguish higher resolutions, if they couldn't then we would not have 30" LCDs that do 2560 x 1600 or digital still cameras that can do 46 MegaPixels ... PPI and distance to object/image determines human ability to distinguish ... 300 PPI (Pixels per inch at a view distances of about 1-2 feet) is about the max most humans can do. So the 1080p has no meaning in the context presented.

2. PC or Mac, you need a $5000 Red Rocket card to even think about working with 4K video, neither Mac or PC alone is powerful enough. However NO Thunderbolt port on a PC yet soooo, Mac it is.

3. The actual resolution of the Red One camera is 5120 x 2700 and runs 12-bit RAW

4. You need extremely fast throughput for editing 4K video, the fastest SSDs or better

5. 4K file sizes are mind boggling large, especially when not compress.

6. $25,000 digital camera is actually pretty cheap --- for any major TV or Movie production, those folks typically run cameras in the $300,000 range so a Red One is a relative bargain

7. A 4K image produces better 1080p, the higher the quality source the better the compressed final output size -- you ALWAYS want the highest possible quality source image.

8. Red One is NOT NEW, has been around since 2005 and sold in mass starting 2007.

9. If you think 1080p is the final destination of quality, think again, technology and delivery continue forward

10. Red One was used in Red Dwarf's "Back to Earth" 2009, the resolution was so high they were able to edit out undesirable framing without a loss in quailty

11. Yes the Mac OSX drivers for Red One are 100X faster and more stable than Windows 7 64bit drivers, hence why a Mac is used

12. How many PC's have "Thunderbolt"?? None, nada, zip ... maybe PC's will get it in April 2012.

I know it's probably painful for you PC fanboys to accept that a Mac does something better than a PC, but that's the reality, get over it.
Score
January 30, 2012 10:34:15 PM

back_by_demandSo the hard work was done by an external device, the hardware is basically an Intel based ultrabook, regardless of the manufacturer the only thing that makes it Mac is the OS, and that was replaced with Windows 7Well done, nice job

V8VENOMOh boy, the babbling Tom's "PC experts" come thundering in with "why", "what's the point", "why Mac", etc. etc.Talk about a ton of BAD information.1. Yes humans can distinguish higher resolutions, if they couldn't then we would not have 30" LCDs that do 2560 x 1600 or digital still cameras that can do 46 MegaPixels ... PPI and distance to object/image determines human ability to distinguish ... 300 PPI (Pixels per inch at a view distances of about 1-2 feet) is about the max most humans can do. So the 1080p has no meaning in the context presented.2. PC or Mac, you need a $5000 Red Rocket card to even think about working with 4K video, neither Mac or PC alone is powerful enough. However NO Thunderbolt port on a PC yet soooo, Mac it is.3. The actual resolution of the Red One camera is 5120 x 2700 and runs 12-bit RAW4. You need extremely fast throughput for editing 4K video, the fastest SSDs or better5. 4K file sizes are mind boggling large, especially when not compress.6. $25,000 digital camera is actually pretty cheap --- for any major TV or Movie production, those folks typically run cameras in the $300,000 range so a Red One is a relative bargain7. A 4K image produces better 1080p, the higher the quality source the better the compressed final output size -- you ALWAYS want the highest possible quality source image.8. Red One is NOT NEW, has been around since 2005 and sold in mass starting 2007.9. If you think 1080p is the final destination of quality, think again, technology and delivery continue forward10. Red One was used in Red Dwarf's "Back to Earth" 2009, the resolution was so high they were able to edit out undesirable framing without a loss in quailty11. Yes the Mac OSX drivers for Red One are 100X faster and more stable than Windows 7 64bit drivers, hence why a Mac is used12. How many PC's have "Thunderbolt"?? None, nada, zip ... maybe PC's will get it in April 2012.I know it's probably painful for you PC fanboys to accept that a Mac does something better than a PC, but that's the reality, get over it.

You should check up the definition of a PC before pretending like there different things, next you need to look around you and think what do you use TB for, if you don't have anything on hand to use it for its wasted space.

Next you will have to look at whats around the corner, its already announced that PC's will get TB in 2012, so that entire Fan Boy line just makes you look more out of place, since its obvious you did not do your research, and you did not notice the term Beta Drivers. Only an idiot would assume that MS or anyone would develop drivers for an OS that wasn't even going to get its port.

now hers the thing that mac lovers might find frighting, Thunderbolt was Intel's pet project, Mac brought it to market, so saying Mac has thunderbolt in the manner you describe is a throwback to how other mac lovers claimed Apple invented the mouse, designed the IPod, or built OSX. (All of which was the work of other design companies that Apple happily took credit for)

The tester even noted how neutral he was on what hardware he uses, that tells me that each OS has its uses. If you want to talk high and mighty, fine, ill still laugh at people that think that a Mac isn't a hyped up overpriced peace of hardware.
Score
January 30, 2012 11:07:01 PM

Khimera2000You should check up the definition of a PC before pretending like there different things, next you need to look around you and think what do you use TB for, if you don't have anything on hand to use it for its wasted space.Next you will have to look at whats around the corner, its already announced that PC's will get TB in 2012, so that entire Fan Boy line just makes you look more out of place, since its obvious you did not do your research, and you did not notice the term Beta Drivers. Only an idiot would assume that MS or anyone would develop drivers for an OS that wasn't even going to get its port. now hers the thing that mac lovers might find frighting, Thunderbolt was Intel's pet project, Mac brought it to market, so saying Mac has thunderbolt in the manner you describe is a throwback to how other mac lovers claimed Apple invented the mouse, designed the IPod, or built OSX. (All of which was the work of other design companies that Apple happily took credit for)The tester even noted how neutral he was on what hardware he uses, that tells me that each OS has its uses. If you want to talk high and mighty, fine, ill still laugh at people that think that a Mac isn't a hyped up overpriced peace of hardware.

1. Correction, Intel and Apple developed it. Mac did it first, glad the PC is following in 2012!
2. Glad to remind you that the current run of "Ultrabooks" that run Windows 7 have been horrible... It's not as easy as you think to build a computer that's thin and light.

XOXO :) 
Score
January 31, 2012 4:04:40 AM

molo9000The point is mobility.You can't take a big workstation with you. This thing you can travel with.

You have obviously never attended a LAN party. 40 pound rigs are not uncommon at the ones I've attended. Thankfully LCD technology has made big monitors 60 pounds lighter in recent years.
Score
January 31, 2012 6:31:14 AM

V8VENOMI know it's probably painful for you PC fanboys to accept that a Mac does something better than a PC, but that's the reality, get over it.

Mac Hardware, not Mac Software, and even then only an Intel TB port on a Mac Hardware that is basically a generic ultrabook once you strip away OSX, the CPU, RAM & SSD are nothing to write home about on this machine.
Score
January 31, 2012 8:58:38 AM

V8VENOM has a point, high res isn't about displaying the film(except in cinemas), but a better file for future HD releases. I have seen fair share of old film released in HD and they aren't the same as the new ones.
Score
Anonymous
January 31, 2012 9:46:19 AM

So we can edit 4K video that most people cannot even view let alone need? This whole article is full of technology most people could care less about. 4K is needed just not in people's living rooms, Thunderbolt is looking for a reason to get users interested. Nobody who edits or will use 4K video will most likely edit it on a Mac running Windows?
Score
January 31, 2012 11:19:45 AM

jescott418So we can edit 4K video that most people cannot even view let alone need? This whole article is full of technology most people could care less about. 4K is needed just not in people's living rooms, Thunderbolt is looking for a reason to get users interested. Nobody who edits or will use 4K video will most likely edit it on a Mac running Windows?

Or on an Ultrabook, they would use a Pro workstation
Score
January 31, 2012 2:47:29 PM

Khimera2000You should check up the definition of a PC before pretending like there different things, next you need to look around you and think what do you use TB for, if you don't have anything on hand to use it for its wasted space.Next you will have to look at whats around the corner, its already announced that PC's will get TB in 2012, so that entire Fan Boy line just makes you look more out of place, since its obvious you did not do your research, and you did not notice the term Beta Drivers. Only an idiot would assume that MS or anyone would develop drivers for an OS that wasn't even going to get its port. now hers the thing that mac lovers might find frighting, Thunderbolt was Intel's pet project, Mac brought it to market, so saying Mac has thunderbolt in the manner you describe is a throwback to how other mac lovers claimed Apple invented the mouse, designed the IPod, or built OSX. (All of which was the work of other design companies that Apple happily took credit for)The tester even noted how neutral he was on what hardware he uses, that tells me that each OS has its uses. If you want to talk high and mighty, fine, ill still laugh at people that think that a Mac isn't a hyped up overpriced peace of hardware.

That's the best you can do, attempt to discredit because I use the term "PC" ... that's really weak. I used the term "PC" because (even though not entirely specific enough to distinguish) most of the folks here understand PC vs. Mac ... in fact, even you did. So yes, I used PC on purpose to make the process of understanding easier. PC or "a computer not use Apple's EFI" -- which do you thing most would instantly understand?

If you read what I wrote, I clearly stated that "PC's" will get Thunderbolt in or around April 2012, but that is still LATER than Apple's line of computers who got Thunderbolt back in Oct last 2011.

I really don't care what you laugh at, those that don't have fanboyism buy and use whatever tool gets the job done, be it a computer based on Microsoft Windows OS or a Mac running OSX AND Windows OS (via Bootcamp) or something else. It just so happens that a Mac and run OSX and Windows perfect well in a dual boot setup (bootcamp) and hence why so many professional use a Mac because it is a platform that covers ALL the bases. Now, shom me a "PC" that can do both??? ... there are some very rare instances of folks gettting a "PC" to load OSX, but those are VERY VERY rare.

Really, this "PC" fanboyism doesn't nothing except increase ignorance.
Score
January 31, 2012 6:53:37 PM

Try this on a Sony Vaio Z series - it has a 10 Gbps USB port for external devices.
Score
Anonymous
January 31, 2012 11:14:35 PM

Hey it's Toms ...what were you waiting?....an article without Apple brand mentioned.....
Score
February 3, 2012 1:27:09 AM

ArticleSince you can't even play 4K video on any PC,

I'm going to be the second person now to point out that this is wrong. Obviously, the writer is not using the correct software decoders. I have no issues with playback on a mobile i7 2.2GHz... just barely.
10-bit 4K test file from anime subbing group Underwater, for your reference. full FPS. ffdshow.
Score
February 5, 2012 12:43:20 AM

Wow! Old Color Computer at 256x192 to PC-Clone at 640x480 to SVGA at 800x600 then 1024x768 then 1280x1024 then 1920x1080... coming up 4K! Fast Forward 10 years to 8K then 16K... Jeeebus!
Score
October 18, 2012 7:28:12 PM

Old article but was wondering if the people at RED ever watched old episodes of southpart beofre naming their product RED Rocket...
Score
!