Remote Desktop Locks Up After 5mins

Hi,

I am running remote desktop from my LAN at work to my Home PC. Both are
running Windows XP Pro. Remote desktop connects OK but after say 5 minutes it
will just suddenly freeze / lock up. This results in my being unable to get
back in when I try and reconnect. Does anyone know why this happens?

On the remote computer, take a look at the Event Log when this
happens.. Is anything logged (error, shutdown, etc)?
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

"=?Utf-8?B?U2xhcG51dHpVSw==?=" <SlapnutzUK@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:9C09FE91-3952-411F-AB2A-38C2A72A9165@microsoft.com:

> Hi,
>
> I am running remote desktop from my LAN at work to my Home PC. Both
> are running Windows XP Pro. Remote desktop connects OK but after say 5
> minutes it will just suddenly freeze / lock up. This results in my
> being unable to get back in when I try and reconnect. Does anyone know
> why this happens?

maybe try repairing the windows installation and restoring the original RD
files, etc...

boot from the xp cd and "repair installation"

it'll just delete all the system files and restore the originals...without
hurting your settings or anything

You can also run "sfc /scannow" to locate any corrupt Windows files...
---

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
wrote in news:vsgq119cbjda7fpdjm5vfcq53mu9r6ca5i@4ax.com:

> You can also run "sfc /scannow" to locate any corrupt Windows files...

good call...definately try that before actually restoring all of them. if
that finds a few errors, then your probably all good...if not, try
repairing the install via booting from the cd

Yep.. The problem with doing a repair install is that you would need
to apply any security hotfixes or service pack upgrades (depending on
your XP CD)... :)
---