Remote desktop security

February 21, 2005 9:27:02 PM

Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
(encrypted)?

I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is necessary
to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 21, 2005 11:38:47 PM

Gregory wrote:
> Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
> (encrypted)?
>
> I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is
> necessary to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.

www.google.com

Search for:

Is remote desktop connection encrypted

Comes up with answers such as:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186607
and
http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-112440.html
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/secur...
( under the "Remote Desktop Protocol and Remote Desktop for Administration"
section )
and
( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/cyav )

--
<- Shenan ->
a b 8 Security

In addition, I run Remote Desktop through a SSH tunnel... You may find this page of interest... Its
easy to setup...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
news:o kbzjeIGFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Gregory wrote:
>> Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
>> (encrypted)?
>>
>> I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is
>> necessary to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.
>

> www.google.com
>
> Search for:
>
> Is remote desktop connection encrypted
>
> Comes up with answers such as:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186607
> and
> http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-112440.html
> and
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/secur...
> ( under the "Remote Desktop Protocol and Remote Desktop for Administration" section )
> and
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
> ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/cyav )
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

a b 8 Security
February 24, 2005 11:53:03 AM

"Gregory" wrote:

> Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
> (encrypted)?
>
> I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is necessary
> to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 24, 2005 2:31:21 PM

There truly is no need to.... The only thing you get with tunneling
it either with SSH or a VPN is that you only expose the tunnel port -
an outside user can't tell you are running remote desktop...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com