Remote desktop security

Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
(encrypted)?

I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is necessary
to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop security

    Gregory wrote:
    > Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
    > (encrypted)?
    >
    > I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is
    > necessary to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.

    www.google.com

    Search for:

    Is remote desktop connection encrypted

    Comes up with answers such as:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186607
    and
    http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-112440.html
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/security/rasecwp.mspx
    ( under the "Remote Desktop Protocol and Remote Desktop for Administration"
    section )
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_quaq.asp
    ( Shorter Link: http://snipurl.com/cyav )

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    In addition, I run Remote Desktop through a SSH tunnel... You may find this page of interest... Its
    easy to setup...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Gregory" wrote:

    > Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
    > (encrypted)?
    >
    > I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is necessary
    > to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.
    >
    > Thanks

    There truly is no need to.... The only thing you get with tunneling
    it either with SSH or a VPN is that you only expose the tunnel port -
    an outside user can't tell you are running remote desktop...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

    Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    MS Network Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    MS Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:27:02 -0800, "Gregory"
    <Gregory@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Does anyone know whether remote desktop connection over LAN is secure
    >(encrypted)?
    >
    >I have a small home network and would like to know whether it is necessary
    >to use SSH when using remote desktop over the LAN.
    >
    >Thanks

Remote Desktop LAN Security Windows XP