Need cheapest / bestest way to turn my PC into a DVR

I'm looking to use my computer to record and burn programming from my
cable company, but I'm not sure how to get started. I don't care
about HDTV at this point, I'm just looking for a cheap way to
timeshift, record, and then be able to burn simple DVDs of the programs
I've recorded. What tuner hardware is best value? Are there any
that include decent software?

If you can direct me to websites or other easily accessible
information, I would appreciate it.

Visit www.crutnacker.com for my opinions.

www.cowcope.com for a laugh.

Try these:

- SnapStream Beyond-TV software with Hauppauge PVR-250 TV tuner and
MPEG hardware encoder running in Windows. This is what I use at home.
It comes with lift-time subscription to download TV shows info.

- May also check myHTPC that runs in Windows. I don't have personal
experience with it. Hopefully, someone can provide additional info
about this.

- May also check MythPC that runs in Linux. Again, I don't have
personal experience with it.

Beyond-TV doesn't have HDTV functionality. I don't know whether the
other two have HDTV functionality or not. If you see HDTV in the
future (like one year or two), and _if_ your cable company let you use
a DVR device without buying it and only need a low monthly fee, you may
be better off get that DVR device instead of spending the money and
time to upgrade your PC and such. You will not want to spend money and
time to get PVR functionality and dislike it soon after because it
doesn't do HDTV.

If I remember correctly, we can get to use a DVR without upfront cost
from DISH Network if you a new customer and if you are willingly to pay
a monthly fee to use that DVR (not high if I remember this correct).
You probably need to sign an one-year contract though. You may want to
check the info yourself because my memory is just not very good.

Later on, when PVR with HDTV becomes a mature technology, you can
cancel the contract on the DVR (assuming you have fulfilled the minimum
contract period), and setup PVR with HDTV in your PC.

Jay Chan

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

crutnacker@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm looking to use my computer to record and burn programming from my
> cable company, but I'm not sure how to get started. I don't care
> about HDTV at this point, I'm just looking for a cheap way to
> timeshift, record, and then be able to burn simple DVDs of the programs
> I've recorded. What tuner hardware is best value? Are there any
> that include decent software?
>
> If you can direct me to websites or other easily accessible
> information, I would appreciate it.
>
> Visit www.crutnacker.com for my opinions.
>
> www.cowcope.com for a laugh.

I can't comment on what value TV card to get but in terms of quality,
the ATI Theater 550 Pro chip is amazing because it has hardware MPEG2
encorder. I can't easily tell the difference between live and recorded
video. I bought the Sapphire version for $83. You'd need a DVD burning
program to make DVD; something like Nero might work.

Tim

Try Meedio (www.meedio.com). It's the all-in-one solution for
PC-TV-Media-Music etc.

Tim
<crutnacker@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to use my computer to record and burn programming from my
> cable company, but I'm not sure how to get started. I don't care
> about HDTV at this point, I'm just looking for a cheap way to
> timeshift, record, and then be able to burn simple DVDs of the programs
> I've recorded. What tuner hardware is best value? Are there any
> that include decent software?
>
> If you can direct me to websites or other easily accessible
> information, I would appreciate it.
>
> Visit www.crutnacker.com for my opinions.
>
> www.cowcope.com for a laugh.

http://www.mythtv.org/ + wintv cards for <$30 on ebay.com and elsewhere.

Otherwise, any ATI All-In-Wonder card for cheap on ebay.com - this gives
you the same and includes ATI's own TV tuning/recording software, which
works.