Enhanced Remote Desktop Web Connection Page

I've been frustrated by the inability to put the port number in on the
Remote Desktop Web Connection Page that Microsoft puts out, so I
modified the page to support the ability to put in a port number
following the server address and a colon, just like in the regular
client program. (i.e. server.address.com:nnnn where nnnn is the port
number). While I was at it I added some check boxes for a number of
useful options that the activex control supports, but were never
offered on the web page.

You can try it out at:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/rdconnection

The page is using version 5.1.2600.2180 of the activex control, so if
your system isn't using that version you are going to have to allow
the control to be downloaded. Also note that I haven't put any real
error validation into the server name field, so if it looks like
nothing happened when you clicked connect, verify that the server name
syntax is valid, that a colon with no spaces is between the name and
port number, and that the port number is 1 to 4 numeric digits.

Leave a message here on how it works. Later on I'll go back and put
some error checking in.

SRW
3 answers Last reply
More about enhanced remote desktop connection page

    This has been available for a year now...

    To download a modified client, go
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=50 and pick
    the advanced client on the bottom of the list...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

    Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    MS Network Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    MS Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:02:44 -0500, MT <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I've been frustrated by the inability to put the port number in on the
    >Remote Desktop Web Connection Page that Microsoft puts out, so I
    >modified the page to support the ability to put in a port number
    >following the server address and a colon, just like in the regular
    >client program. (i.e. server.address.com:nnnn where nnnn is the port
    >number). While I was at it I added some check boxes for a number of
    >useful options that the activex control supports, but were never
    >offered on the web page.
    >
    >You can try it out at:
    >
    >http://home.cinci.rr.com/rdconnection
    >
    >The page is using version 5.1.2600.2180 of the activex control, so if
    >your system isn't using that version you are going to have to allow
    >the control to be downloaded. Also note that I haven't put any real
    >error validation into the server name field, so if it looks like
    >nothing happened when you clicked connect, verify that the server name
    >syntax is valid, that a colon with no spaces is between the name and
    >port number, and that the port number is 1 to 4 numeric digits.
    >
    >Leave a message here on how it works. Later on I'll go back and put
    >some error checking in.
    >

    >SRW

    <Laugh>

    Looks like I did the work for nothing. Oh well. It's remarkable how
    similar the page you referenced is to my own.

    SRW

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:57:29 -0600, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
    <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

    >This has been available for a year now...
    >
    >To download a modified client, go
    >http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=50 and pick
    >the advanced client on the bottom of the list...
    >---
    >Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
    >
    >Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    >http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    >MS Network Community -
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >MS Home Networking Community -
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >
    >On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:02:44 -0500, MT <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been frustrated by the inability to put the port number in on the
    >>Remote Desktop Web Connection Page that Microsoft puts out, so I
    >>modified the page to support the ability to put in a port number
    >>following the server address and a colon, just like in the regular
    >>client program. (i.e. server.address.com:nnnn where nnnn is the port
    >>number). While I was at it I added some check boxes for a number of
    >>useful options that the activex control supports, but were never
    >>offered on the web page.
    >>
    >>You can try it out at:
    >>
    >>http://home.cinci.rr.com/rdconnection
    >>
    >>The page is using version 5.1.2600.2180 of the activex control, so if
    >>your system isn't using that version you are going to have to allow
    >>the control to be downloaded. Also note that I haven't put any real
    >>error validation into the server name field, so if it looks like
    >>nothing happened when you clicked connect, verify that the server name
    >>syntax is valid, that a colon with no spaces is between the name and
    >>port number, and that the port number is 1 to 4 numeric digits.
    >>
    >>Leave a message here on how it works. Later on I'll go back and put
    >>some error checking in.
    >>

    >>SRW

    Yep... Bink (http://winxp.bink.nu) also developed one too.. This was
    a common request here about a year ago... :)
    ---

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:34:51 -0500, MT <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    ><Laugh>
    >
    >Looks like I did the work for nothing. Oh well. It's remarkable how
    >similar the page you referenced is to my own.
    >
    >SRW
    >

    >On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:57:29 -0600, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
    ><jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:
    >
    >>This has been available for a year now...
    >>
    >>To download a modified client, go
    >>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=50 and pick
    >>the advanced client on the bottom of the list...
    >>---
    >>Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
    >>
    >>Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
    >>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
    >>MS Network Community -
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >>MS Home Networking Community -
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >>
    >>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:02:44 -0500, MT <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been frustrated by the inability to put the port number in on the
    >>>Remote Desktop Web Connection Page that Microsoft puts out, so I
    >>>modified the page to support the ability to put in a port number
    >>>following the server address and a colon, just like in the regular
    >>>client program. (i.e. server.address.com:nnnn where nnnn is the port
    >>>number). While I was at it I added some check boxes for a number of
    >>>useful options that the activex control supports, but were never
    >>>offered on the web page.
    >>>
    >>>You can try it out at:
    >>>
    >>>http://home.cinci.rr.com/rdconnection
    >>>
    >>>The page is using version 5.1.2600.2180 of the activex control, so if
    >>>your system isn't using that version you are going to have to allow
    >>>the control to be downloaded. Also note that I haven't put any real
    >>>error validation into the server name field, so if it looks like
    >>>nothing happened when you clicked connect, verify that the server name
    >>>syntax is valid, that a colon with no spaces is between the name and
    >>>port number, and that the port number is 1 to 4 numeric digits.
    >>>
    >>>Leave a message here on how it works. Later on I'll go back and put
    >>>some error checking in.
    >>>

    >>>SRW

Remote Desktop Connection Servers Windows XP