Using 2 hard drives with Windows 7

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hey I just installed Windows 7 HE on a new OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. I also have another HDD in my system with windows XP still installed and all my old programs and data. I also backed up all this data onto my external hard drive (~350GB).

Now my SSD only has 60GB of space, and i want to use the old HDD to house all my music, videos, documents and whatever other programs i cannot fit onto the SSD and run Windows 7 as my operating system.

What is the best way for me to do this. I want to keep things like game data so i backed this all up using Genie Backup Manager 8.0 (including programs files etc).
I don't mind losing the old XP operating system on that HDD.

I've never done this before, so what steps should I take. A reminder that I want all my data that is backed up to be accessible on the HDD, just as if it and the SSD were the same thing.

Here is my System:

Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.2GHz, OCZ Gladiator 92mm cooler.
4GB Corsair PC-6400
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H mobo
gigabyte radeon 5830
OCZ 600W ModXStream PSU
Hitachi Desktar 500GB HDD (WIndows XP installed)
OCZ vertex 2 60GB SSD (Windows 7 HE installed)

Thanks in advance!

1. Once setup and at the desktop, don't bother doing any customisation, but start up Computer Management via Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools.

2. Local Users And Groups\Users, select Administrator and enable the account.

3. Reboot.

4. Logon as Administrator, no password, go into normal User Account management and delete the account created during setup and any and all files.

5. Startup Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

6. Change the ProfilesDirectory from %SystemDrive%\Users to for example D:\Users.

7. Close down regedit and reboot.

8. Logon as Administrator and create a user account.

9. Logoff and logon using new account and let system create profile, which is now on your D: drive which of course now the default location for all your personal files.

10. Start up Computer Management via Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools.

11. Local Users And Groups\Users, select Administrator and disable the account. Leaving this enabled is a big security risk !!!

Games etc can be installed as normal to the D: drive by changing path during setup screens.

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
alright.
does this mean that i will have to reinstall all the programs from XP onto windows 7? i assume it does.

i'm going to perform a backup of my XP data. for documents and files it is simple. is there a way i can also backup game data, uninstall, then reinstall on windows 7 and use that save game data?

and also, once i back up what i want, is it best to reformat the drive with XP on it, i don't need XP anymore.

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
this did not work properly. i finished step 9, but i have windows 7 home and i need to disable the administrator through an elevated command prompt. i cannot click or right click the command prompt in programs and when i search for the "Run" program in start menu it is not there. i cannot open the command prompt when i click it the start menu disappears.