Auto - login when resuming from remote desktop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is physically secure
and no need for entering the password each time.

But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in the welcome
screen.
Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I disconnect the
remote login?

All good wishes,
Guy

Try running "tscon.exe 0 /dest:console" before you disconnect... :)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:49:03 -0800, Guy
<Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is physically secure
>and no need for entering the password each time.
>
>But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in the welcome
>screen.
>Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I disconnect the
>remote login?
>
>All good wishes,
>Guy

The only way I've found to do this is to restart the remote
computer from within Task Manager. You can use the CTRL+ALT+END
keys to bring up Task Manager (or Right click the taskbar on the
remote PC and select it). In Task Manager, select the Shutdown
Menu and click on Restart. You'll get a message at the client
about being disconnected.

My understanding is that this behavior (showing the Welcome
screen) is by design to prevent unauthorized access to the remote
PC.

--
Nepatsfan
"Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is
>physically secure
> and no need for entering the password each time.
>
> But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in
> the welcome
> screen.
> Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I
> disconnect the
> remote login?
>
> All good wishes,
> Guy

Yep - it was a security concern... However, the "tscon.exe 0
/dest:console" command will work.. Thanks to a MS support engineer
for that command... :)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:58:56 -0500, "Nepatsfan"
<nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote:

>The only way I've found to do this is to restart the remote
>computer from within Task Manager. You can use the CTRL+ALT+END
>keys to bring up Task Manager (or Right click the taskbar on the
>remote PC and select it). In Task Manager, select the Shutdown
>Menu and click on Restart. You'll get a message at the client
>about being disconnected.
>
>My understanding is that this behavior (showing the Welcome
>screen) is by design to prevent unauthorized access to the remote
>PC.

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks Jeffrey
is this a one time command / once per boot / or once per disconnection ?
I'd like to automate it...
Regards
Guy

Guy wrote:
> is this a one time command / once per boot / or once per
> disconnection ? I'd like to automate it...

The "tscon 0 /dest:console" command works on the remote host in this way..

You were locally logged into the host at some point and are STILL logged in
there - but are no longer actually in front of the PC - but at a remote
location. You start a remote desktop connection to the host and log in as
the same user - essentially continuing the session you were logged in
locally when you were physically at the host. To end your session, instead
of disconnecting you run the command line: "tscon 0 /dest:console", which
essentially pushes the current session back to the console - or makes it
look like you never interrupted the local session. Thus when you get back
to the host, it is like you never left that original session.

If you have the screensaver set to return to the welcome screen after a
certain time, this will STILL happen. The results are the same as your
original complaint. I must say at this point, no matter how "private" your
host computer may be - having it lock your screen and make you log in to
continue the same session is a lot more secure than having it sit tere -
unattended and wide open to anyone/thing that walks up and touches the
keyboard/mouse.

In any case I hope my explanation of the tscon command helps. Notice that
if you were never logged in locally in the first place - the push to the
console will fail - as there never was a console session.

--
<- Shenan ->

This command transfers control back to the console... You would run
this at the end of every remote desktop session..
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com