Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Auto - login when resuming from remote desktop ?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
February 23, 2005 3:49:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is physically secure
and no need for entering the password each time.

But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in the welcome
screen.
Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I disconnect the
remote login?

All good wishes,
Guy
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:54:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Try running "tscon.exe 0 /dest:console" before you disconnect... :) 
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:49:03 -0800, Guy
<Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is physically secure
>and no need for entering the password each time.
>
>But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in the welcome
>screen.
>Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I disconnect the
>remote login?
>
>All good wishes,
>Guy
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:58:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

The only way I've found to do this is to restart the remote
computer from within Task Manager. You can use the CTRL+ALT+END
keys to bring up Task Manager (or Right click the taskbar on the
remote PC and select it). In Task Manager, select the Shutdown
Menu and click on Restart. You'll get a message at the client
about being disconnected.

My understanding is that this behavior (showing the Welcome
screen) is by design to prevent unauthorized access to the remote
PC.

--
Nepatsfan
"Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:79B6102C-5B72-4FBB-B5D5-CCB71C03E621@microsoft.com...
>I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is
>physically secure
> and no need for entering the password each time.
>
> But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in
> the welcome
> screen.
> Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I
> disconnect the
> remote login?
>
> All good wishes,
> Guy
Related resources
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:58:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yep - it was a security concern... However, the "tscon.exe 0
/dest:console" command will work.. Thanks to a MS support engineer
for that command... :) 
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:58:56 -0500, "Nepatsfan"
<nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote:

>The only way I've found to do this is to restart the remote
>computer from within Task Manager. You can use the CTRL+ALT+END
>keys to bring up Task Manager (or Right click the taskbar on the
>remote PC and select it). In Task Manager, select the Shutdown
>Menu and click on Restart. You'll get a message at the client
>about being disconnected.
>
>My understanding is that this behavior (showing the Welcome
>screen) is by design to prevent unauthorized access to the remote
>PC.
February 24, 2005 3:35:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks Jeffrey
is this a one time command / once per boot / or once per disconnection ?
I'd like to automate it...
Regards
Guy

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Try running "tscon.exe 0 /dest:console" before you disconnect... :) 
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
>
> Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
> MS Network Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
> MS Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
>
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:49:03 -0800, Guy
> <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is physically secure
> >and no need for entering the password each time.
> >
> >But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in the welcome
> >screen.
> >Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I disconnect the
> >remote login?
> >
> >All good wishes,
> >Guy
>
>
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:16:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Guy wrote:
> I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is physically
> secure and no need for entering the password each time.
>
> But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in the
> welcome screen.
> Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I disconnect
> the remote login?


Jeffrey Randow wrote:
> Try running "tscon.exe 0 /dest:console" before you disconnect... :) 

Guy wrote:
> is this a one time command / once per boot / or once per
> disconnection ? I'd like to automate it...


The "tscon 0 /dest:console" command works on the remote host in this way..

You were locally logged into the host at some point and are STILL logged in
there - but are no longer actually in front of the PC - but at a remote
location. You start a remote desktop connection to the host and log in as
the same user - essentially continuing the session you were logged in
locally when you were physically at the host. To end your session, instead
of disconnecting you run the command line: "tscon 0 /dest:console", which
essentially pushes the current session back to the console - or makes it
look like you never interrupted the local session. Thus when you get back
to the host, it is like you never left that original session.

If you have the screensaver set to return to the welcome screen after a
certain time, this will STILL happen. The results are the same as your
original complaint. I must say at this point, no matter how "private" your
host computer may be - having it lock your screen and make you log in to
continue the same session is a lot more secure than having it sit tere -
unattended and wide open to anyone/thing that walks up and touches the
keyboard/mouse.

In any case I hope my explanation of the tscon command helps. Notice that
if you were never logged in locally in the first place - the push to the
console will fail - as there never was a console session.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:35:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

This command transfers control back to the console... You would run
this at the end of every remote desktop session..
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:35:03 -0800, Guy
<Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks Jeffrey
>is this a one time command / once per boot / or once per disconnection ?
>I'd like to automate it...
>Regards
>Guy
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Try running "tscon.exe 0 /dest:console" before you disconnect... :) 
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
>> MS Network Community -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
>> MS Home Networking Community -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:49:03 -0800, Guy
>> <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I set up a machine to auto login on startup, since it is physically secure
>> >and no need for entering the password each time.
>> >
>> >But after connecting remotely and disconnecting, it remains in the welcome
>> >screen.
>> >Is there a way to have it re-login automatically when I disconnect the
>> >remote login?
>> >
>> >All good wishes,
>> >Guy
>>
>>
August 31, 2009 4:01:47 AM

Update:

I googled this and ended up here. It didn't work in Windows 7, so I found an updated command.

tscon.exe 1 /dest:console

The first parameter changed from 0 to 1. I hope somebody finds this useful.
March 25, 2011 9:49:23 PM

In my case, neither 0 or 1 worked. After reading some of this article, http://www.howtonetworking.com/remoteaccess/tsmanager10..., I ended up typing:

query session

where I could see that my user name was connected to session 3. I tried adding %USERNAME% to the end of query session, and that returned just my session.

In the end,

tscon.exe 3 /dest:console

worked for me. Also, it was necessary to Run as Administrator. I created a batch file, but the option to Run as Administrator was grayed out. I was able to use a shortcut to the batch file to create a link on my desktop with the "Run as Administrator" option checked. Logoff from RDC is now a single double-click.
May 27, 2011 11:14:15 PM

Ancillas said:
Update:

I googled this and ended up here. It didn't work in Windows 7, so I found an updated command.

tscon.exe 1 /dest:console

The first parameter changed from 0 to 1. I hope somebody finds this useful.


THANK YOU twice actually. Found this months ago and when I redid my server I forgot to save the logoff.bat it was a pain to find the right verbage to get back here. Thanks again!
September 13, 2011 4:11:43 AM

This should work under XP, win7, etc...

In a cmd file..
for /f "usebackq skip=1 tokens=3" %%i in (`query user %USERNAME%`) do %windir%\System32\tscon.exe %%i /dest:console

September 23, 2011 12:11:47 PM

Works perfectly, Charles. Thanks!
November 29, 2011 2:06:05 AM

CharlesEdwardHill said:
This should work under XP, win7, etc...

In a cmd file..
for /f "usebackq skip=1 tokens=3" %%i in (`query user %USERNAME%`) do %windir%\System32\tscon.exe %%i /dest:console


This doesnt work on windows 7 - keep getting error - " %%i was unexpected at this time ".
December 21, 2011 2:45:48 PM

snapper2k11 said:
This doesnt work on windows 7 - keep getting error - " %%i was unexpected at this time ".


snapper2k11: The double-percent is only for use within a script. If you're just typing (or pasting) the text into the Run box or a command line, change %%i to %i . I think that should work. But when it's in a script, as the OP intended, you need the double-%% . Hopefully that's all you're seeing. If it's not working for some other reason, maybe provide a bit more detail and we can get it sorted. For my part, I use this several times a week on a couple of different Win7 systems, and it works great.
!