Remote Desktop connect fails after install MS AntiSpyware ..

February 23, 2005 6:24:46 PM

Hi,

Running xp pro-sp2 on two machines connected to the same switch, same lan
ip-subnet.
pc1 has windows firewall off.
pc2 has windows firewall on, Remote Desktop is checked on the Exceptions
page
pc1 connects to pc2. Has always worked great.
So far always used 3rd party AntiSpyware (AdAware and such) manually.
Thought I'd give the MS attempt a try.
Install MS AntiSpyware on pc1 configured to basically do nothing
automatically, no real-time stuff, etc.
I like to have control and *know* when something is taking place, so I
initiate things myself.
now pc1 trying to connect to pc2 results in:

The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.

The most likely causes for this error are:
1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
3) A network error occurred while establishing the connection.

as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321624.

However, this seems to describe the pre-sp2 situation, because my
termsrv.dll version reads: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), which
makes sense given I've got Sp2 running.

So I uninstall / remove MS AntiSpyware from pc1 and all is well in 'remote
desktop connection land'.
Connects fine, as always before.

This leads me to believe MS AntiSpyware is the culprit here.

So basically my questions are:

- does any else experience the same problem
- am I overlooking something (that is apparently not so obvious)
and most importantly
- how do I get this RDP to work/behave as expected (ie. like before, no
hasstle) *with* MS AntiSpyware present

Thanks for any and all insight, suggestion, solution

george
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:47:39 PM

Why not post this question in the Antispyware newsgroups?

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...

Scroll through the "Welcome to ..." box for instructions on how
to configure access by OE.

--
Nepatsfan
"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Running xp pro-sp2 on two machines connected to the same
> switch, same lan ip-subnet.
> pc1 has windows firewall off.
> pc2 has windows firewall on, Remote Desktop is checked on the
> Exceptions page
> pc1 connects to pc2. Has always worked great.
> So far always used 3rd party AntiSpyware (AdAware and such)
> manually. Thought I'd give the MS attempt a try.
> Install MS AntiSpyware on pc1 configured to basically do
> nothing automatically, no real-time stuff, etc.
> I like to have control and *know* when something is taking
> place, so I initiate things myself.
> now pc1 trying to connect to pc2 results in:
>
> The client could not establish a connection to the remote
> computer.
>
> The most likely causes for this error are:
> 1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote
> computer.
> 2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote
> computer.
> 3) A network error occurred while establishing the connection.
>
> as described in
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321624.
>
> However, this seems to describe the pre-sp2 situation, because
> my termsrv.dll version reads: 5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), which makes sense given I've got
> Sp2 running.
>
> So I uninstall / remove MS AntiSpyware from pc1 and all is well
> in 'remote desktop connection land'.
> Connects fine, as always before.
>
> This leads me to believe MS AntiSpyware is the culprit here.
>
> So basically my questions are:
>
> - does any else experience the same problem
> - am I overlooking something (that is apparently not so
> obvious)
> and most importantly
> - how do I get this RDP to work/behave as expected (ie. like
> before, no hasstle) *with* MS AntiSpyware present
>
> Thanks for any and all insight, suggestion, solution
>
> george

February 24, 2005 3:43:26 PM

Thanks for the link.
Out of curiousity, "Is there something you do not seem to like about my
configuration?" (given the hint about "Scroll through...")

george

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
> Why not post this question in the Antispyware newsgroups?
>
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>
> Scroll through the "Welcome to ..." box for instructions on how to
> configure access by OE.
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Running xp pro-sp2 on two machines connected to the same switch, same lan
>> ip-subnet.
>> pc1 has windows firewall off.
>> pc2 has windows firewall on, Remote Desktop is checked on the Exceptions
>> page
>> pc1 connects to pc2. Has always worked great.
>> So far always used 3rd party AntiSpyware (AdAware and such) manually.
>> Thought I'd give the MS attempt a try.
>> Install MS AntiSpyware on pc1 configured to basically do nothing
>> automatically, no real-time stuff, etc.
>> I like to have control and *know* when something is taking place, so I
>> initiate things myself.
>> now pc1 trying to connect to pc2 results in:
>>
>> The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer.
>>
>> The most likely causes for this error are:
>> 1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
>> 2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer.
>> 3) A network error occurred while establishing the connection.
>>
>> as described in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321624.
>>
>> However, this seems to describe the pre-sp2 situation, because my
>> termsrv.dll version reads: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158),
>> which makes sense given I've got Sp2 running.
>>
>> So I uninstall / remove MS AntiSpyware from pc1 and all is well in
>> 'remote desktop connection land'.
>> Connects fine, as always before.
>>
>> This leads me to believe MS AntiSpyware is the culprit here.
>>
>> So basically my questions are:
>>
>> - does any else experience the same problem
>> - am I overlooking something (that is apparently not so obvious)
>> and most importantly
>> - how do I get this RDP to work/behave as expected (ie. like before, no
>> hasstle) *with* MS AntiSpyware present
>>
>> Thanks for any and all insight, suggestion, solution
>>
>> george

February 24, 2005 3:43:27 PM

Sorry if my "Scroll through..." suggestion was confusing. It had
nothing to do with your "configuration".

The reason I added that comment was to point out that while you
can
access the antispyware newsgroups from that web site, you can
also access them through Outlook Express (OE). In order to do
that you've got to follow the instructions in the last section of
the "Welcome to..." box. This applies even if you're already
using OE to access the microsoft.public.windowsxp newsgroups.

> Thanks for the link.
> Out of curiousity, "Is there something you do not seem to like
> about my configuration?" (given the hint about "Scroll
> through...")
>
> george
>

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
>> Why not post this question in the Antispyware newsgroups?
>>
>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>>
>> Scroll through the "Welcome to ..." box for instructions on
>> how to configure access by OE.
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:%23wur4NbGFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Running xp pro-sp2 on two machines connected to the same
>>> switch, same lan ip-subnet.
>>> pc1 has windows firewall off.
>>> pc2 has windows firewall on, Remote Desktop is checked on the
>>> Exceptions page
>>> pc1 connects to pc2. Has always worked great.
>>> So far always used 3rd party AntiSpyware (AdAware and such)
>>> manually. Thought I'd give the MS attempt a try.
>>> Install MS AntiSpyware on pc1 configured to basically do
>>> nothing automatically, no real-time stuff, etc.
>>> I like to have control and *know* when something is taking
>>> place, so I initiate things myself.
>>> now pc1 trying to connect to pc2 results in:
>>>
>>> The client could not establish a connection to the remote
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> The most likely causes for this error are:
>>> 1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote
>>> computer.
>>> 2) The maximum number of connections was exceeded at the
>>> remote computer.
>>> 3) A network error occurred while establishing the
>>> connection.
>>>
>>> as described in
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321624.
>>>
>>> However, this seems to describe the pre-sp2 situation,
>>> because my termsrv.dll version reads: 5.1.2600.2180
>>> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), which makes sense given I've got
>>> Sp2 running.
>>>
>>> So I uninstall / remove MS AntiSpyware from pc1 and all is
>>> well in 'remote desktop connection land'.
>>> Connects fine, as always before.
>>>
>>> This leads me to believe MS AntiSpyware is the culprit here.
>>>
>>> So basically my questions are:
>>>
>>> - does any else experience the same problem
>>> - am I overlooking something (that is apparently not so
>>> obvious)
>>> and most importantly
>>> - how do I get this RDP to work/behave as expected (ie. like
>>> before, no hasstle) *with* MS AntiSpyware present
>>>
>>> Thanks for any and all insight, suggestion, solution
>>>
>>> george

February 24, 2005 10:00:50 PM

It's OK.
I figured that too, albeit some time after I posted :-((
Cheers,

!