Mpeg-2 to Avi

Hello!

I'm a newbie to video editing.
We recorded a 30-minute movie with Sony Handycam (Mini-DVD) and
downloaded it to a PC.
It's mpeg-2 format (mymovie.mpg) and its size is 1.2GB.
We need to edit it and compress it if possible.

Here's a list of some facts we experienced.

1. Windows Media Player plays it fine.
2. Windows Movie Maker can't play its video. It plays audio only.
3. Adobe Premiere 6.0 can play it and convert it to an AVI (size is
7GB). But the AVI file can't be played by Windows Media Player. It can
be played within Premiere.
4. We downloaded conversion programs to conver it to avi so that we can
edit it in Windows Movie Maker but all failed.
5. We tried to capture the video using Camtasia but it couldn't.

What is the best way to edit and compress an mpeg-2 file format?
We may purchase a program if we are sure that it works.

TIA.
Sam
3 answers Last reply
More about mpeg

    I was never able to get the Sony software to see the camera. One way I
    found was to copy the vob files to my drive and load them into the
    Womble MPG video wizard. Cyberlink power director also worked very
    well. Forget converting to AVI, you will only have to reconvert back
    to MPG for DVD. Womble only renders the changes.

    Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
    @/

    go here and read everything http://www.videohelp.com/

    On 8 Mar 2005 10:55:09 -0800, sam.s.kong@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >I'm a newbie to video editing.
    >We recorded a 30-minute movie with Sony Handycam (Mini-DVD) and
    >downloaded it to a PC.
    >It's mpeg-2 format (mymovie.mpg) and its size is 1.2GB.
    >We need to edit it and compress it if possible.
    >
    >Here's a list of some facts we experienced.
    >
    >1. Windows Media Player plays it fine.
    >2. Windows Movie Maker can't play its video. It plays audio only.
    >3. Adobe Premiere 6.0 can play it and convert it to an AVI (size is
    >7GB). But the AVI file can't be played by Windows Media Player. It can
    >be played within Premiere.
    >4. We downloaded conversion programs to conver it to avi so that we can
    >edit it in Windows Movie Maker but all failed.
    >5. We tried to capture the video using Camtasia but it couldn't.
    >
    >What is the best way to edit and compress an mpeg-2 file format?
    >We may purchase a program if we are sure that it works.
    >

    >TIA.
    >Sam

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    sam.s.kong@gmail.com wrote in

    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm a newbie to video editing.
    > We recorded a 30-minute movie with Sony Handycam (Mini-DVD) and
    > downloaded it to a PC.
    > It's mpeg-2 format (mymovie.mpg) and its size is 1.2GB.
    > We need to edit it and compress it if possible.
    >
    > Here's a list of some facts we experienced.
    >
    > 1. Windows Media Player plays it fine.
    > 2. Windows Movie Maker can't play its video. It plays audio only.
    > 3. Adobe Premiere 6.0 can play it and convert it to an AVI (size is
    > 7GB). But the AVI file can't be played by Windows Media Player. It can
    > be played within Premiere.
    > 4. We downloaded conversion programs to conver it to avi so that we can
    > edit it in Windows Movie Maker but all failed.
    > 5. We tried to capture the video using Camtasia but it couldn't.
    >
    > What is the best way to edit and compress an mpeg-2 file format?
    > We may purchase a program if we are sure that it works.
    >

    > TIA.
    > Sam

    Hello fellow Sony Person

    I just bought a Hi-8 instead of the Video-8 I owned since 1994 and I chose
    Analog over Digital as it was a personal choice of quality over ease. I
    had to say that as lots of folks are buying Sony products, but Sony is
    upset at the moment hiring an American to be Boss.

    If your software can be viewed by the MPEG2 version of Virtualdub then it
    is a breeze to convert to AVI. This is a freeware program - so download it
    at http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

    Silly to me why folks do not check about the best camcorder ever (almost
    all newsrooms use Sony) and complain when not given everything. I think
    that is why Sony was given an American boss - so the details would be
    there.

    My current Sony did not come with an S-Video Cable, but my 1994 came with
    everything. Maybe the American will shake them up.

    cya

Tuner Cards AVI Graphics