Mpeg-2 to Avi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2005 1:55:09 PM

Hello!

I'm a newbie to video editing.
We recorded a 30-minute movie with Sony Handycam (Mini-DVD) and
downloaded it to a PC.
It's mpeg-2 format (mymovie.mpg) and its size is 1.2GB.
We need to edit it and compress it if possible.

Here's a list of some facts we experienced.

1. Windows Media Player plays it fine.
2. Windows Movie Maker can't play its video. It plays audio only.
3. Adobe Premiere 6.0 can play it and convert it to an AVI (size is
7GB). But the AVI file can't be played by Windows Media Player. It can
be played within Premiere.
4. We downloaded conversion programs to conver it to avi so that we can
edit it in Windows Movie Maker but all failed.
5. We tried to capture the video using Camtasia but it couldn't.

What is the best way to edit and compress an mpeg-2 file format?
We may purchase a program if we are sure that it works.

TIA.
Sam

More about : mpeg avi

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:06:15 PM

I was never able to get the Sony software to see the camera. One way I
found was to copy the vob files to my drive and load them into the
Womble MPG video wizard. Cyberlink power director also worked very
well. Forget converting to AVI, you will only have to reconvert back
to MPG for DVD. Womble only renders the changes.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

On 8 Mar 2005 10:55:09 -0800, sam.s.kong@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm a newbie to video editing.
>We recorded a 30-minute movie with Sony Handycam (Mini-DVD) and
>downloaded it to a PC.
>It's mpeg-2 format (mymovie.mpg) and its size is 1.2GB.
>We need to edit it and compress it if possible.
>
>Here's a list of some facts we experienced.
>
>1. Windows Media Player plays it fine.
>2. Windows Movie Maker can't play its video. It plays audio only.
>3. Adobe Premiere 6.0 can play it and convert it to an AVI (size is
>7GB). But the AVI file can't be played by Windows Media Player. It can
>be played within Premiere.
>4. We downloaded conversion programs to conver it to avi so that we can
>edit it in Windows Movie Maker but all failed.
>5. We tried to capture the video using Camtasia but it couldn't.
>
>What is the best way to edit and compress an mpeg-2 file format?
>We may purchase a program if we are sure that it works.
>

>TIA.
>Sam
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:04:52 PM

go here and read everything http://www.videohelp.com/

On 8 Mar 2005 10:55:09 -0800, sam.s.kong@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm a newbie to video editing.
>We recorded a 30-minute movie with Sony Handycam (Mini-DVD) and
>downloaded it to a PC.
>It's mpeg-2 format (mymovie.mpg) and its size is 1.2GB.
>We need to edit it and compress it if possible.
>
>Here's a list of some facts we experienced.
>
>1. Windows Media Player plays it fine.
>2. Windows Movie Maker can't play its video. It plays audio only.
>3. Adobe Premiere 6.0 can play it and convert it to an AVI (size is
>7GB). But the AVI file can't be played by Windows Media Player. It can
>be played within Premiere.
>4. We downloaded conversion programs to conver it to avi so that we can
>edit it in Windows Movie Maker but all failed.
>5. We tried to capture the video using Camtasia but it couldn't.
>
>What is the best way to edit and compress an mpeg-2 file format?
>We may purchase a program if we are sure that it works.
>

>TIA.
>Sam

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:50:39 PM

sam.s.kong@gmail.com wrote in

> Hello!
>
> I'm a newbie to video editing.
> We recorded a 30-minute movie with Sony Handycam (Mini-DVD) and
> downloaded it to a PC.
> It's mpeg-2 format (mymovie.mpg) and its size is 1.2GB.
> We need to edit it and compress it if possible.
>
> Here's a list of some facts we experienced.
>
> 1. Windows Media Player plays it fine.
> 2. Windows Movie Maker can't play its video. It plays audio only.
> 3. Adobe Premiere 6.0 can play it and convert it to an AVI (size is
> 7GB). But the AVI file can't be played by Windows Media Player. It can
> be played within Premiere.
> 4. We downloaded conversion programs to conver it to avi so that we can
> edit it in Windows Movie Maker but all failed.
> 5. We tried to capture the video using Camtasia but it couldn't.
>
> What is the best way to edit and compress an mpeg-2 file format?
> We may purchase a program if we are sure that it works.
>

> TIA.
> Sam

Hello fellow Sony Person

I just bought a Hi-8 instead of the Video-8 I owned since 1994 and I chose
Analog over Digital as it was a personal choice of quality over ease. I
had to say that as lots of folks are buying Sony products, but Sony is
upset at the moment hiring an American to be Boss.

If your software can be viewed by the MPEG2 version of Virtualdub then it
is a breeze to convert to AVI. This is a freeware program - so download it
at http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/

Silly to me why folks do not check about the best camcorder ever (almost
all newsrooms use Sony) and complain when not given everything. I think
that is why Sony was given an American boss - so the details would be
there.

My current Sony did not come with an S-Video Cable, but my 1994 came with
everything. Maybe the American will shake them up.

cya
!