Help with wmv to avi conversion

mark

My version of Studio will only import avi files but sometimes I want
to use a wmv clip. I tried a couple (free trial) apps but they
crashed or wouldn't recognise my file. Seems like this should be a
simple freeware program. Any recommendations?

On a sunny day (Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:34:48 -0500) it happened Mark
<nobody@home.now> wrote in <ro1v215us2phr546g153dlre8e2j3o7orn@4ax.com>:

>My version of Studio will only import avi files but sometimes I want
>to use a wmv clip. I tried a couple (free trial) apps but they
>crashed or wouldn't recognise my file. Seems like this should be a
>simple freeware program. Any recommendations?
Linux mplayer / mencoder.

mark

And for us non-Linux-literate?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:05:13 -0500, Mark <nobody@home.now> wrote:

>And for us non-Linux-literate?

There are lots of converting programs, though I would not say that I
like them all. Tmgpenc, which is freeware, can serve the purpose, if
you export as Avi, instead of as mpeg.

EO Video is a converter that has never failed me. Mpeg 4 Direct Maker
is clumsy in appearance, but great in features. EasyX Video Converter
does its job

Of course, there's always Avisynth:

DirectShowSource("Clip.wmv")

Load it on VirtualDub, and generate an Avi. I would say it's the best
path to follow, but there's 1 caveat: many a time Avisynth complains
it cannot know the framerate, and then you have to give it yourself:

DirectShowSource("Clip.wmv", 30)

Problem is if you fail on the framerate, video and audio get
desynchronized.