Analog Capture

I'm looking for a good analog-to-digital capture device (USB 2.0 or
Firewire) that I can hook up between my computer and VCR. What does
anyone here recommend? I've come across bad reviews for almost every
product I've looked up on the web.

--

Emails sent to janice@mailinator.com will not be read.
Send emails to janice240obe@yahoo.com instead.

    "Janice" <janice@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a good analog-to-digital capture device (USB 2.0 or
    > Firewire) that I can hook up between my computer and VCR. What does
    > anyone here recommend? I've come across bad reviews for almost every
    > product I've looked up on the web.
    >
    > --

    You can find "bad reviews" for sliced bread on the web. There
    are often those who's expectations of a product are not matched
    by what the product really is.

    There are some who have issues with their system that conflict
    with a product, and they are unable, or unwilling to correct the
    actual cause of the incompatibility.

    There are simply bad products.

    There are sometimes good hardware with bad drivers, or
    capture software. (This can be corrected in many cases, by
    finding, and downloading the right software.)

    There are good devices suited to one strategy, but not to
    another. ( Are you looking to work with material that has
    already been professionally edited, or making your own
    "Movies" from scratch?)

    There are some here who can only "Approve" of what
    works in their situation and won't tolerate the suggestion
    that any, other than their own methods, can provide an
    acceptable result. They can't conceive of those working
    with different source material and to a different purpose,
    could obtain good results using a procedure different
    from their own.

    I can describe what I've found to work for me, with my
    objectives, but can't apply that to your situation unless you
    provide more information regarding your intentions.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Consider this: a used Sony Digital 8mm video camera could probably be had
    around $200 with a bit of looking.
    Many of them have an analog passthrough which amounts to exactly what you're
    looking for.

    Hook an analog source up the camera (the ports act as ins or outs, depending
    on mode) making sure there's no tape in the camera.
    Switch to the appropriate mode (detailed in the camera manual) and hook up
    Firewire. The analog source is digitized by the camera A/D convertor and
    piped through the Firewire port.

    Voila!

    I've seen the devices you've likely tried - ADS USB2.0 "boxes" ... I was
    unimpressed as well.

    Your next step up, as I see it, is an expensive, professional level
    digitizer box but those would almost certainly be more expensive than a
    basic, used D8 camera with A/D conversion. Example:
    http://www.videoguys.com/ADVC.html ($500, pro-level)

    I see the camera as a middle ground here. Make SURE the camera has this
    feature before buying. Many of the lowest-end or older model did NOT.
    (I'm using a Sony TRV-320 for this by the way)

    Good luck!

    Chris

    "Janice" <janice@mailinator.com> schreef in bericht
    > I'm looking for a good analog-to-digital capture device (USB 2.0 or
    > Firewire) that I can hook up between my computer and VCR. What does
    > anyone here recommend? I've come across bad reviews for almost every
    > product I've looked up on the web.

    I have good experiences with Canopus ADVC 55 converter for this.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
    URL http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

    ICQ 326628

    What kind of digital????? .AVI? .MPG?

    Most here assume you want to go to .AVI. You don't need to. The quality
    difference between a good Canopus Mpeg realtime hardware encoder and the
    time consuming route suggested here is minimal. I would also report that
    the ADS instant DVD 2 produces very good captures, so I disagree with others
    here.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AKXXU/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-0101709-7767328?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

    "Janice" <janice@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a good analog-to-digital capture device (USB 2.0 or
    > Firewire) that I can hook up between my computer and VCR. What does
    > anyone here recommend? I've come across bad reviews for almost every
    > product I've looked up on the web.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Emails sent to janice@mailinator.com will not be read.
    > Send emails to janice240obe@yahoo.com instead.

    Check out the Canopus ADVC products:
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/index/products_homeuser.asp

    Also, the ADS Pyro A/V Link is a good choice:
    http://digitalvideosolutions.com/ads.htm

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    Janice <janice@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a good analog-to-digital capture device (USB 2.0 or
    >Firewire) that I can hook up between my computer and VCR. What does
    >anyone here recommend? I've come across bad reviews for almost every
    >product I've looked up on the web.

    Hi Janice,

    It depends upon what you want to do. If your intent is to be able to
    capture video in reasonably high quality and do serious editing before
    you burn back to tape or to DVD, etc. then you should probably get a
    DV converter.

    If you only want to capture TV programs recorded on VHS and cut out
    the commercials before you burn them to a CD or DVD, then you can get
    one of the many analog to MPG converter boxes.

    I recommend that you get a DV converter since you then have the option
    of capturing to DV, or use Software capture to convert the DV stream
    to MPG on the fly, for those times you only need MPG.

    To convert to DV, you could use a DV or D8 camcorder with pass
    through, an external "box" or an internal card. There are a number of
    camcorders, boxes and cards on the market. I have had excellent
    results with the Canopus ACEDVio internal card which will convert
    analog to DV and then DV back to analog for playing back to tape.
    But, as I said, there are many different products available.

    If you plan to capture VHS, the most important thing is to use the
    very best VCR you can find as your source. If at all possible, use a
    VCR with S-Video output and a time-base-corrector (TBC). If your
    capture hardware/software does not have control of brightness, tint,
    saturation, contrast, etc. then you may need to also get a processing
    amp to go between your output signal and the digitizer.

    You want to have THE VERY BEST POSSIBLE OUTPUT SIGNAL TO DIGITIZE.

    You can do a little "clean up" of the digitized signal, but if you put
    garbage in, you are only going to be able to get garbage out! I use a
    top of the line JVC S-VHS vcr to play VHS tapes and digitize with the
    ACEDVio card and have had better results than with half-a-dozen setups
    I've used over the years. The ACEDVio card works better than any Sony
    or Canon DV camcorder I've ever tried, and it was much much cheaper
    than the camcorders!

    On the rare occasion when I want to capture in MPG I just use the
    above mentioned ACEDVio card to convert to DV, then capture it as MPG
    on the fly. I use Studio 9 (version 9.3.5) to capture the DV stream
    to MPG. Although I don't use Studio for serious editing, I find it
    works wonderfully to capture a few hours of TV, cut out the
    commercials, put in a menu and burn to DVD. I've never had any
    problems with Studio 9 above version 9.1, but I must say that Studio 8
    was the worst program I've ever tried, with the possible exception of
    Pinnacle's early Studio 400.

    Hope this helps,

    Susan

    In article <39bsmmF61stqeU1@individual.net>, mccm.vos@abc.net says...
    >"Janice" <janice@mailinator.com> schreef in bericht
    >> I'm looking for a good analog-to-digital capture device (USB 2.0 or
    >> Firewire) that I can hook up between my computer and VCR. What does
    >> anyone here recommend? I've come across bad reviews for almost every
    >> product I've looked up on the web.
    >
    >I have good experiences with Canopus ADVC 55 converter for this.

    Noted, thanks.

    The Canopus products do seem to have the best reputation, from what I've
    seen so far.

    --

    In article <YBnYd.133962$qB6.71053@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    video@digitalvideosolutions.com says...
    >Check out the Canopus ADVC products:
    >http://www.canopus.us/US/products/index/products_homeuser.asp
    >
    >Also, the ADS Pyro A/V Link is a good choice:
    >http://digitalvideosolutions.com/ads.htm

    Thanks, I hadn't heard of the second one before.

    --

    In article <113474mjhcs2p25@corp.supernews.com>, logos1@trip.net says...
    >What kind of digital????? .AVI? .MPG?

    Hi,

    I haven't made a decision regarding the format yet.

    >Most here assume you want to go to .AVI. You don't need to. The quality
    >difference between a good Canopus Mpeg realtime hardware encoder and the
    >time consuming route suggested here is minimal. I would also report that
    >the ADS instant DVD 2 produces very good captures, so I disagree with others
    >here.

    Thanks for your input. The ADS Instant DVD looks like a relatively small
    investment dollar-wise so it might be a good starting point. I could
    always move up to something better if I get more into this as a hobby.

    --

    Emails sent to janice@mailinator.com will not be read.
    Send emails to janice240obe@yahoo.com instead.

    In article <8pmdnbWw_KH5_63fRVn-jg@giganews.com>, kmaltby@sbcglobal.net
    says...

    > I can describe what I've found to work for me, with my
    >objectives, but can't apply that to your situation unless you
    >provide more information regarding your intentions.

    Understood.

    My intention is to take a few analog recordings such as home movies and
    broadcasts taped off the TV and make them into DVD's, so they'll be
    better preserved. I might want to do a little editing, e.g. to cut out
    commercial breaks or resequence some segments, but nothing complicated.

    --

    In article <rdydna6ynYLrw63fRVn-vg@rogers.com>,
    cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com says...

    >Consider this: a used Sony Digital 8mm video camera could probably be had
    >around $200 with a bit of looking.
    >Many of them have an analog passthrough which amounts to exactly what you're
    >looking for.

    Some at a web forum recommended that I go the camera route also.

    >Hook an analog source up the camera (the ports act as ins or outs, depending
    >on mode) making sure there's no tape in the camera.
    >Switch to the appropriate mode (detailed in the camera manual) and hook up
    >Firewire. The analog source is digitized by the camera A/D convertor and
    >piped through the Firewire port.

    My system is a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Firewire port built into the SB
    Audigy 2 ZS card, if that's good enough.

    Some other system specs, for what bearing they may have on what capture
    devices I should or could use: Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 145 GB free on the
    hard drive.

    >I've seen the devices you've likely tried - ADS USB2.0 "boxes" ... I was
    >unimpressed as well.

    Actually I haven't tried any devices myself yet, just read about a few of
    them.

    >Your next step up, as I see it, is an expensive, professional level
    >digitizer box but those would almost certainly be more expensive than a
    >basic, used D8 camera with A/D conversion. Example:
    >http://www.videoguys.com/ADVC.html ($500, pro-level)
    >
    >I see the camera as a middle ground here. Make SURE the camera has this
    >feature before buying. Many of the lowest-end or older model did NOT.
    >(I'm using a Sony TRV-320 for this by the way)

    Thanks for the tips (and for sending an email as well as posting). I
    apologize that it took me so long to get back to everyone who so kindly
    responded with advice, but I was unusually busy for awhile.

    --

    In article <id5431dqgkaq1p7aqlsga0e56pgaf206d6@4ax.com>,
    nospam@nospam.net says...

    >It depends upon what you want to do. If your intent is to be able to
    >capture video in reasonably high quality and do serious editing before
    >you burn back to tape or to DVD, etc. then you should probably get a
    >DV converter.
    >
    >If you only want to capture TV programs recorded on VHS and cut out
    >the commercials before you burn them to a CD or DVD, then you can get
    >one of the many analog to MPG converter boxes.

    Hi Susan,

    Right now, my plans are along the latter lines, but maybe it wouldn't be
    a bad idea to plan ahead in case I want to expand into more serious
    projects down the line.

    >I recommend that you get a DV converter since you then have the option
    >of capturing to DV, or use Software capture to convert the DV stream
    >to MPG on the fly, for those times you only need MPG.
    >
    >To convert to DV, you could use a DV or D8 camcorder with pass
    >through, an external "box" or an internal card. There are a number of
    >camcorders, boxes and cards on the market. I have had excellent
    >results with the Canopus ACEDVio internal card which will convert
    >analog to DV and then DV back to analog for playing back to tape.
    >But, as I said, there are many different products available.

    At the moment, after reading everyone's suggestions and looking up the
    various recommended devices, I'm leaning towards the Pyro A/V Link, which
    is a DV converter with a Firewire connection.

    >If you plan to capture VHS, the most important thing is to use the
    >very best VCR you can find as your source.

    Agreed; I'm saving up for a good one.

    Thanks for all your help.

    --

    Emails sent to janice@mailinator.com will not be read.