project workflow & streamlining

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Howdy!

I'm looking for input from all you pros on streamlining project workflow.

Time is the most valuable, non-replenishable asset anyone is given. In my
world, I'm always looking for ways to make a finished product look like it
took forever to do without actually taking a lot of time. In the end though,
I've just got to be proud of the finished product, no matter how long it
takes.

With other media - web, print - I have a lot of templates created and use
things like "cascading style sheets" to cut down on development time.

What can you do in the digital video world to streamline things? My world
involves miniDV cameras, Firewire transfer, Premiere 7 and AfterEffects 6.5.

If you have any references you'd recommend, I'm game.

Thanks!
Chris

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Not to be insanly ambiguous but I have often found that workflow is
determined by the project.

If I have a lot of wild shots I'll start in Premiere (or maybe even by hand)
and listen to the background sound/music and storyboard the scene. Then I
can go into AE and composite what I need (if anything). Then back to
Premiere, etc.

That's one thing I like about Adobe stuff, you can back-and-forth almost
like it's one big pogram.

So decide on a couple of different project types you may have and build some
workflow templates from those.

I'm almost at the point you are. I need to decide how to run a shoot and
get the shots I need (in a wedding environment this is NOT easy). Then I
can work on the workflow schemes.

Good luck,
Tom P.

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
> Howdy!
>
> I'm looking for input from all you pros on streamlining project workflow.
>
> Time is the most valuable, non-replenishable asset anyone is given. In my
> world, I'm always looking for ways to make a finished product look like it
> took forever to do without actually taking a lot of time. In the end
though,
> I've just got to be proud of the finished product, no matter how long it
> takes.
>
> With other media - web, print - I have a lot of templates created and use
> things like "cascading style sheets" to cut down on development time.
>
> What can you do in the digital video world to streamline things? My world
> involves miniDV cameras, Firewire transfer, Premiere 7 and AfterEffects
6.5.

> If you have any references you'd recommend, I'm game.
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

You're a braver man than I Tom. I can't imagine shooting weddings... you
only get ONE take and that's it.
I'd rather be filming war, animals or babies than a wedding! (I've been told
I'm nuts for shooting any of those three)

I suspect with weddings, if you're comfortable with the actual event
shooting, the workflow after that could be pretty "repeatable."
I mean, a wedding IS linear! You don't see them cutting cake before they say
their vows. I'd wager there's a good opportunity to come up with some kind
of template(s) but what do I know? I don't have any wedding experience. ;)

Definately know what you mean about the Adobe integration - I'll have
Photoshop, AE and Premiere open all at once and just pop back and forth
doing what I need to. EncoreDVD is great for Photoshop integration too -
"edit DVD menu in photoshop" doesn't get much easier. ;)

C.

> You're a braver man than I Tom. I can't imagine shooting weddings... you
> only get ONE take and that's it.
> I'd rather be filming war, animals or babies than a wedding! (I've been
told
> I'm nuts for shooting any of those three)

I need to gt more like the photographers I've seen. I need a shot list and
approach the couple with that in mind and MAKE the shots I need rather than
hope I GET them. It's hard to tell people to do something when they don't
quite understand how it will fit in.

> I suspect with weddings, if you're comfortable with the actual event
> shooting, the workflow after that could be pretty "repeatable."
> I mean, a wedding IS linear! You don't see them cutting cake before they
say
> their vows. I'd wager there's a good opportunity to come up with some kind
> of template(s) but what do I know? I don't have any wedding experience. ;)

I thought the same thing when I started. You'd be surprised at how much
variance there is. I've been at wedings where the cerimony was a little
over 15 mins. and one where the cerimony was a little less than 2 and a half
hours!

Some have cake before dinner, some after. Some want call-outs, some want
the gift table shot. I've had requests to NOT feature certain people
(because they were in a big fight at the time), I've had requests to not
feature the DECORATIONS in the background (the wedding planner got them
wrong and they made the bride mad everytime she saw them).

And try to explain to a newlywed bride that you can't fit 6 hours of video
on a single sided DVD. Yeah, that goes over well every time.

Tom P.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

ROTFL!

SIX HOURS OF "WEDDING MEMORIES?" And a 2+ hour ceremony?!

"Brevity is the soul of wit." ;)

If I get any inquiries about weddings, I'll forward them your way Tom. 8D

Your point about the variations are taken - and of course the more "planned"
a template, the more reworking is needed when things don't fit neatly into
the boxes.

One of my ex-business partners is running a web hosting and design service.
He does all his sites with templates and is very upfront about it.
People can have "any colour, as long as it's one of these four."

He has happy clients too but the thing is, he's the kinda guy that can sell
ice to Inuits.

Thanks for the insight.