Remote Desktop - Failure to connect

February 25, 2005 5:35:32 PM

I really don't know what is going on, but I'm wanting to set up a Home
Office Network. I've done all the things that the help file has to
offer (I Think) but when I go to connect it won't. Any thought on the
subject?
TIA
Nick
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:17:16 PM

See if this page helps with Remote Desktop...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

This presumes your trying to connect to a XP Pro machine running Remote Desktop from another machine
on your local LAN or from the public internet, correct?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Nick Haury" <aecdesign@truevine.net> wrote in message
>I really don't know what is going on, but I'm wanting to set up a Home Office Network. I've done
>all the things that the help file has to offer (I Think) but when I go to connect it won't. Any
>thought on the subject?
> TIA
> Nick
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:01:54 PM

You need to describe your setup in more detail... Do you have a
router/hardware firewall involved? Can you connect from another
computer on your home office network?

If you have a router/hardware firewall, you will need to forward TCP
Port 3389 to the address of the computer running Remote Desktop
server. See http://www.portforward.org for more information on how to
do this. Also make sure that you have Remote Desktop shown as an
exception in your Windows Firewall (Help and Support will show you how
to check for this).
---
Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)

Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
MS Network Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
MS Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:35:32 -0700, Nick Haury
<aecdesign@truevine.net> wrote:

>I really don't know what is going on, but I'm wanting to set up a Home
>Office Network. I've done all the things that the help file has to
>offer (I Think) but when I go to connect it won't. Any thought on the
>subject?
>TIA
>Nick
March 2, 2005 11:47:28 AM

I am trying to access remote assistance, not remote desktop. It keeps giving
me an error message, "remote assisatance failed, please try again", when I
click the send invite button to send them an email. It also won't let me
save the invitation and send it that way. Same error message for all
invites. I have SP2 and all my updates. Port 3389 is open. Turned off
firewall. Use to work, but just stopped working. Any suggestions? Thanks.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:uci921lacoqk9kfb7t516tvj4j97iqe5nm@4ax.com...
> You need to describe your setup in more detail... Do you have a
> router/hardware firewall involved? Can you connect from another
> computer on your home office network?
>
> If you have a router/hardware firewall, you will need to forward TCP
> Port 3389 to the address of the computer running Remote Desktop
> server. See http://www.portforward.org for more information on how to
> do this. Also make sure that you have Remote Desktop shown as an
> exception in your Windows Firewall (Help and Support will show you how
> to check for this).
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
>
> Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
> MS Network Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
> MS Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
>
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:35:32 -0700, Nick Haury
> <aecdesign@truevine.net> wrote:
>
>>I really don't know what is going on, but I'm wanting to set up a Home
>>Office Network. I've done all the things that the help file has to
>>offer (I Think) but when I go to connect it won't. Any thought on the
>>subject?
>>TIA
>>Nick

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:25:36 PM

After running this for a couple of years WHY after SP2 is this port
forwarding a problem?

"Funny French Fry" <none@nonte.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to access remote assistance, not remote desktop. It keeps
>giving me an error message, "remote assisatance failed, please try again",
>when I click the send invite button to send them an email. It also won't
>let me save the invitation and send it that way. Same error message for all
>invites. I have SP2 and all my updates. Port 3389 is open. Turned off
>firewall. Use to work, but just stopped working. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>

> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
> wrote in message news:uci921lacoqk9kfb7t516tvj4j97iqe5nm@4ax.com...
>> You need to describe your setup in more detail... Do you have a
>> router/hardware firewall involved? Can you connect from another
>> computer on your home office network?
>>
>> If you have a router/hardware firewall, you will need to forward TCP
>> Port 3389 to the address of the computer running Remote Desktop
>> server. See http://www.portforward.org for more information on how to
>> do this. Also make sure that you have Remote Desktop shown as an
>> exception in your Windows Firewall (Help and Support will show you how
>> to check for this).
>> ---
>> Jeffrey Randow (Network MVP)
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology FAQ -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> My Networking Blog: http://www.networkblog.net
>> MS Network Community -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
>> MS Home Networking Community -
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:35:32 -0700, Nick Haury
>> <aecdesign@truevine.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I really don't know what is going on, but I'm wanting to set up a Home
>>>Office Network. I've done all the things that the help file has to
>>>offer (I Think) but when I go to connect it won't. Any thought on the
>>>subject?
>>>TIA
>>>Nick

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:25:37 PM

Remitdlo wrote:
> After running this for a couple of years WHY after SP2 is this port
> forwarding a problem?

Not sure what you mean.

Before SP2 - had to forward ports if a router was involved.
After SP2 - had to forward ports if a router was involved.

Difference? Perhaps the fact that the Windows Firewall got turned on and
these people are now safer than before and not knowing how to configure(use
windows help, check a box in a configuration, etc) the firewall?

--
<- Shenan ->
March 7, 2005 7:43:03 PM

I don't have my firewall on. I turned it off so for this. I don't have a
router either. I have sp/2 and all updates. When I try and send an invite
email to somebody, I keep getting an error message that says, "remote
assistenace failed, Please try again". Can somebody help me fix this please?
I can't get it to work. It worked previously. Now it just stopped all of a
sudden. Email me or post to this group if you can help. I sure would like to
get this remote assistance working again. If I had remote assistance, then I
would show you what the error message is, or you could fix it remotely for
me. Thanks. :-)

news:o c443zxIFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Remitdlo wrote:
>> After running this for a couple of years WHY after SP2 is this port
>> forwarding a problem?
>
> Not sure what you mean.
>
> Before SP2 - had to forward ports if a router was involved.
> After SP2 - had to forward ports if a router was involved.
>
> Difference? Perhaps the fact that the Windows Firewall got turned on and
> these people are now safer than before and not knowing how to
> configure(use windows help, check a box in a configuration, etc) the
> firewall?
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 7, 2005 10:05:59 PM

Funny French Fry wrote:
> I don't have my firewall on. I turned it off so for this. I don't
> have a router either. I have sp/2 and all updates. When I try and
> send an invite email to somebody, I keep getting an error message
> that says, "remote assistenace failed, Please try again". Can
> somebody help me fix this please? I can't get it to work. It worked
> previously. Now it just stopped all of a sudden. Email me or post to
> this group if you can help. I sure would like to get this remote
> assistance working again. If I had remote assistance, then I would
> show you what the error message is, or you could fix it remotely for
> me. Thanks. :-)

Download the Service Pack 2 full installation file..
Uninstall SP2..
Reinstall using the SP2 Full Installation file.

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

--
<- Shenan ->
March 8, 2005 8:24:47 PM

Thank you!! It worked!! What you told me to do worked. I uninstalled the
sp/2 file, then reinstalled it again from the "Microsoft" website. Now the
"remote assistance" works just like brand new again. I wonder why it didn't
work before? Thank you for helping solve this problem. I appreciate it
kindly. :-)
I use remote assistance alot and was lost without it.

Thank you. :-)

> Funny French Fry wrote:
>> I don't have my firewall on. I turned it off so for this. I don't
>> have a router either. I have sp/2 and all updates. When I try and
>> send an invite email to somebody, I keep getting an error message
>> that says, "remote assistenace failed, Please try again". Can
>> somebody help me fix this please? I can't get it to work. It worked
>> previously. Now it just stopped all of a sudden. Email me or post to
>> this group if you can help. I sure would like to get this remote
>> assistance working again. If I had remote assistance, then I would
>> show you what the error message is, or you could fix it remotely for
>> me. Thanks. :-)
>
> Download the Service Pack 2 full installation file..
> Uninstall SP2..
> Reinstall using the SP2 Full Installation file.
>
> Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
> http://snipurl.com/8bqy
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 9, 2005 12:13:25 AM

Funny French Fry wrote:
> I don't have my firewall on. I turned it off so for this. I don't
> have a router either. I have sp/2 and all updates. When I try and
> send an invite email to somebody, I keep getting an error message
> that says, "remote assistenace failed, Please try again". Can
> somebody help me fix this please? I can't get it to work. It worked
> previously. Now it just stopped all of a sudden. Email me or post to
> this group if you can help. I sure would like to get this remote
> assistance working again. If I had remote assistance, then I would
> show you what the error message is, or you could fix it remotely for
> me. Thanks. :-)

Shenan Stanley wrote

Funny French Fry wrote:
> Thank you!! It worked!! What you told me to do worked. I
> uninstalled the sp/2 file, then reinstalled it again from the
> "Microsoft" website. Now the "remote assistance" works just like
> brand new again. I wonder why it didn't work before? Thank you for
> helping solve this problem. I appreciate it kindly. :-)
> I use remote assistance alot and was lost without it.
>
> Thank you. :-)

Glad it got you going!

--
<- Shenan ->